Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NebelDO

future surgeon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
well i started the interview thread, i guess ill be the first to post the first rejection of the season...

UNC- chapel hill

cant win em all i guess.

Members don't see this ad.

They actually sent you a rejection??? I though the programs don't send out rejections, i.e. if you didn't get an interview you assume you got a rejection.

AlexRusso said:
They actually sent you a rejection??? I though the programs don't send out rejections, i.e. if you didn't get an interview you assume you got a rejection.

yep ..it basically said thanks for the interest but we are unable to offer an interview at this time..

id rather the program send something..its the least they can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got one of those too...

I wouldn't be caught dead in Tar Heel land anyway.

That sucks, Nebel. Pretty random for them to decide so early. I haven't heard of anyone getting a rejection letter yet. Did you take just the COMLEX and not the USMLE? I know a lot of GS program screen for that and then throw out the application on that basis alone.

Plinko said:
That sucks, Nebel. Pretty random for them to decide so early. I haven't heard of anyone getting a rejection letter yet. Did you take just the COMLEX and not the USMLE? I know a lot of GS program screen for that and then throw out the application on that basis alone.

nope took both usmle and comlex..
237 usmle too..oh well its their loss
step 2 not back yet.

there was no letter , just and email.

237 USMLE shouldn't be allowed in the same sentence with the word "rejected" in September. Screw em. Its their loss. Maybe they don't like DOs there.

Plinko said:
237 USMLE shouldn't be allowed in the same sentence with the word "rejected" in September. Screw em. Its their loss. Maybe they don't like DOs there.

I had a friend who was a top candiate 99% COMLEX I and stellar USMLE. He got rejected by UNC for IM!! It seems they definitely don't like DO's. :thumbdown:

Most programs (from my own experience) will eventually send a rejection letter if they decide not to interview you....although the first hint is others getting interviews there when you haven't. All told, there were 1 or 2 programs that never officially rejected me that I never heard anything from.

Smurfette said:
Most programs (from my own experience) will eventually send a rejection letter if they decide not to interview you....although the first hint is others getting interviews there when you haven't. All told, there were 1 or 2 programs that never officially rejected me that I never heard anything from.

Would this be the case even if your file is not complete or am I to assume that I am not likely to get an interview if others already got them and I didn't?

toughlife said:
Would this be the case even if your file is not complete or am I to assume that I am not likely to get an interview if others already got them and I didn't?
IT depends on the program....the majority of my interview offers came BEFORE all of my LORs were sent and before the dean's letter. I think I got one or two interviews before any of my LORs came out. I got a sprinkling of offers once one of my LORs came out, a few more after my second LOR came out, a few more after my third LOR came out, etc. Some programs waited until the dean's letters came out before offering any interviews. Some programs review apps only like once a month and still other programs sent out an email saying "we don't offer interviews until x date when all applications can be considered".

Bottom line is, each program has a certain criteria before offering an interview....some programs will offer them before any LORs are in, others with one, others with two, and others with a chairman's letter or all LORs.

Also, my school wouldn't upload LORs until after we'd submitted are apps and assigned the LORs to programs. So it's in your best interest to submit whatever you've got NOW. Think about it this way: the later the programs get your app, the further down in their stack of applicants you are and the more likely they are to have offered all their interview slots away and put you on the waiting list.

Hi there,
Most programs can tell from your ERAS application if they want to invite your for an interview. I screened some of the apps for my program using the guidelines that I was given by the PD and faculty. It's not all grades and USMLE/COMLEX but they weight heavily. Phone calls mean more than LORs so let your advisors know this. Sometimes a phone call from the chairman of surgery to your dream program can get you an interview. That happened for one of the guys who matched categorical last year.

Some of the southern surgical powerhouses are very anti-DO. This is partially because there are not a lot of DO schools in the south (though the numbers are growing) and the faculty is very conservative (read backwards in some cases). If you are a strong DO candidate you are going to do better applying in the midwest.

Good luck folks! It's going to be another brutal year for categorical slots.

njbmd :)

Memorial in savanah, GA rejected me, but it was interesting. They first sent me a email that provided I recieved a score higher than 200 on USMLE step 2 I would be offered an interview (my scores aren't back). Then around six hours later, evedently after they read the rest of my app and figured out I'm from a DO school they emailed and stated they were only offering interview to graduates of allopathic institutions only...made for a good laugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
given the "thanks but no thanks"

from Einstein Philly today...

sucks for them :)

njbmd said:
the faculty is very conservative (read backwards

this will probably start a flame war but why is everyone so scared to say theres a difference between d.o.s and m.d.s? if there wasn't then we should jack down the admissions requirements of allo schools to match those of osteo schools and have done with it. if a place doesn't like d.o.s then that doesn't make them backwards.

mmmmdonuts said:
...why is everyone so scared to say theres a difference between d.o.s and m.d.s?

Political Correctness :p

I think it is fair for MD programs to have some degree of bias against DO students for the simple reason that DO residency programs accept DOs and not MDs. There is no reason to think that MD programs shouldn't reciprocate the gesture. Of course, not many MD students would end up going to the DO programs were they allowed to, but I'm sure there would be some who were applying ENT, Rads, etc. that couldn't get into an MD program and would love to go to a DO program in their choice of specialty. That is the only basis I can think of for there to be some prejudice on the part MD PDs. However, I do disagree with MD programs taking FMGs over American DO students. I think our programs (MD and DO) should use the tax dollars they get to train doctors that are going to treat our citizens. On that basis I feel it is wrong to reject a DO with good grades and a 235 USMLE score in favor of an FMG with similar numbers. And lastly, you can say what you want about differences in admission criteria betweeen MD and DO schools, but there are no hard fast rules there either; I guarantee you there are plenty of DO schools with higher admission numbers than plenty of LCME accredited schools--e.g. there are two MD schools in my state alone that have lower numbers than my (a DO) school. Although I do admit that is not the case nationally. All that crap is moot though once USMLE scores enter the equation when any such argument becomes ancient history real fast.

Personally, I think all the disdain that accompanies an outright rejection of a DO student's app to an MD residency is just a manifestation of the few remaining dinasoar MD higher ups that still harbor prejudice; unfortunately for me, and others in this forum, Surgery seems to have far more of them than any other specialty. I have no anger or resentment for MDs with this attitude however because I know for a fact that plenty of old school DOs feel the same way, if not stronger. It was these same DOs at the AOA that told off the MDs that wanted to integrate the match and made my life ten times more complicated than it had to be. If there is prejudice it probably comes from the old school DOs more than anywhere. Hopefully when these people retire all this nonsense will finally be laid to rest and such issues will no longer be debated to no end.

Plinko said:
All that crap is moot though once USMLE scores enter the equation when any such argument becomes ancient history real fast.

Step exams are only designed to demonstrate a student has learned the minimum requirements to be a practicing physician. those who use the scores to compare candidates are going against what the designers of the test say it is capable of doing.

Yeah, demonstrating that I know the KREB cycle really is going to make me a better doctor. I hate standardized tests.

Mayo Scottsdale told me to get lost.

got dissed by U of Wisconsin yesterday :oops:

If there is prejudice it probably comes from the old school DOs more than anywhere. Hopefully when these people retire all this nonsense will finally be laid to rest and such issues will no longer be debated to no end.

:thumbup: A-f$#%in-MEN :thumbup:

Got a big fat eehhhhhn Ohhhhhhhhh from Harlem Hospital. Go figure.

told to take a hike by Cincy..

Thanks for playing, but...
WashU
U of Washington
I need to stay away from schools with Washington in the name.

My first rejection: University of Washington... oh well

yeah the hits just keep on coming..

U of Washington

Rejected by University of Washington today. Oh well.

Surg2b said:
Rejected by University of Washington today. Oh well.

I feel like we should form a club.

I know it's silly, but this rejection is really getting to me... I most likely would not have even accepted the interview offer from U Washington, but now that I've been rejected I'm starting to doubt myself... feel like I should have studied harder in medical school, should have done better on step 1, should have done research... :( and I'm thinking this even though I have most of the interviews I really wanted.

On a funnier note, it took me a while to figure out what "Udub" was... maybe I'm really not clever enough to be a surgeon :laugh:

1st rejection - columbia.
and i added them at the last minute, just as an afterthought.
well, i guess it's not meant to be....
but i liked the feel of "yes"es and not "no"s.

robotsonic said:
I know it's silly, but this rejection is really getting to me... I most likely would not have even accepted the interview offer from U Washington, but now that I've been rejected I'm starting to doubt myself... feel like I should have studied harder in medical school, should have done better on step 1, should have done research... :( and I'm thinking this even though I have most of the interviews I really wanted.

As someone who went through the process last year, I fought similar feelings of inadequacy for most of the interview season...putting my game face on, and then stressing in the hotel room afterwards. There will be interviews when everyone is nice as pie, and it feels easy. There will be others where the feeling of "what the hell am I doing here?" will build and build and build through out the day.

I think the only way to keep yourself sane is to realize that no one's CV is perfect, and if it is, there are like 10 people with a perfect application in the nation, and they can only take 10 spots. Don't get caught up in the relative prestige of programs; I think it only builds feelings of inadequacy in yourself. Instead focus on where you'd be happy. The list will be longer than you think.

But I would assume the vast majority of candidates walk around with similar feelings in their heads. No one talks about it. Take a deep breath, and don't be so hard on yourself through this process.

blue2000 said:
As someone who went through the process last year, I fought similar feelings of inadequacy for most of the interview season...putting my game face on, and then stressing in the hotel room afterwards. There will be interviews when everyone is nice as pie, and it feels easy. There will be others where the feeling of "what the hell am I doing here?" will build and build and build through out the day.

I think the only way to keep yourself sane is to realize that no one's CV is perfect, and if it is, there are like 10 people with a perfect application in the nation, and they can only take 10 spots. Don't get caught up in the relative prestige of programs; I think it only builds feelings of inadequacy in yourself. Instead focus on where you'd be happy. The list will be longer than you think.

But I would assume the vast majority of candidates walk around with similar feelings in their heads. No one talks about it. Take a deep breath, and don't be so hard on yourself through this process.

Thanks, blue2000. It really helps to hear this, and I'll try to remember it when I'm at interviews.

yea, thanks blue2000. personally, i say screw a program that doesn't interview me as i didn't want to go there anyways :) if my CV doesn't fit what they're looking for, i don't want to be there. i also don't get upset pre, during, post interviews. i don't change my attitude, i don't try to kiss ass, etc. if i am not accepted as me, or cannot be comfortable around house staff and faculty as myself, i don't want to be at that program. while i've only been on 2 interviews so far i can say, 1 program fit me very well and the entire event flew by, while the other wasn't quite as easy. these experiences are what help with the final rank list.

keep ya head up :X

NebelDO said:
yeah the hits just keep on coming..

U of Washington

Hey there,
Knowing what I know about you, it's their loss. You are going to get a great match. Sometimes, a rejection is the best thing that can happen to you. Back when I was interviewing, I interviewed at Hopkins, Duke, UVa and Penn. Got rejected from Union Memorial in Baltimore. It was a good thing too after seeing the place when I was up for my Hopkins interview. It might be a great place for some folks but it was definitely not for me. :eek: Fortunately they knew this before I did.

njbmd :)

Columbia. :mad:
How could someone who is doing so well on the west coast do so crappy in the east???

Sorry, but no from
Brigham and Womens

solstice118 said:
...rejection, emory.
i made a new email address exclusively for ERAS. every time this email address gets new mail, it forwards it to my pagers email address, so i get a page.

emory rejected me at 6am this morning. :(

so not only did i get woken up, i had to check my pager and see that it was bad news. bastards.

emory rejected me at 6am this morning. :(

so not only did i get woken up, i had to check my pager and see that it was bad news. bastards.

dude that sucks. I'm there with ya though. Here's to matchin at our number 1.

toxic-megacolon said:
Columbia. :mad:
How could someone who is doing so well on the west coast do so crappy in the east???
it ain't the east, baby. it's nyc.
and i gotta lotta love for nyc. but they have their own, distinct criteria.

Yale told me to beat it.

Okay, I have a question...

What do you do about programs that have not yet sent you a "yea or nay" even though they have obviously sent several of you rockstars invitations and the rest of us mortals rejections? I have just a couple programs like this, so I wonder...is the rejection inevitable? Are they sitting on my application for some reason? Have they read my application?

Oh yeah, Emory said so long, and thanks for all the fish... :rolleyes:

Espion said:
What do you do about programs that have not yet sent you a "yea or nay" even though they have obviously sent several of the rockstars invitations?

Had the exact same question Espion. Talked about it with a friend earlier this evening and we couldn't piece it together.

Oh yeah, love the Douglas Adams reference. ;)

locitamd said:
Had the exact same question Espion. Talked about it with a friend earlier this evening and we couldn't piece it together.

Oh yeah, love the Douglas Adams reference. ;)

Last year when I was interviewing, I received my last two invitations the day before Thanksgiving. One of those programs seemed to like me a lot, and the other I wasn't able to go to. So I don't know if late offers mean low ranking...probably not.

Hang in there. I'd say that your list will pretty much be set after Thanksgiving, though a few more may trickle in through the first week of December.

my rejection fro Loyola said you suck basically for a categorical interview but if i went unmatched to call them if a prelim spot is open....thanks but NO

I only got one ''rejection". I have at least ten downright snubs though. Oddly enough, I prefer the snubs to the rejection. :(