Rejected thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fauxden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably should have a rejection thread for the woes and sorrows of the masses. So let us know if you've been shut down.... And please share what your future plans will be.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been completely rejected, but I'm staying realistically hopeful. If I don't match, I'll scramble. If I'm unsuccessful, I'll look for a hospital job or something more clinical than retail. If that fails, I have a job lined up.

I decided I'm going to apply again next year if I don't get it this year. I'll do what I can to build a stronger resume, etc. Although I will be sad if I don't get a residency, I am happy I have a job and plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been completely rejected, but I'm staying realistically hopeful. If I don't match, I'll scramble. If I'm unsuccessful, I'll look for a hospital job or something more clinical than retail. If that fails, I have a job lined up.

I decided I'm going to apply again next year if I don't get it this year. I'll do what I can to build a stronger resume, etc. Although I will be sad if I don't get a residency, I am happy I have a job and plan.

This a million times.

*Stands up slowly*
tumblr_masozaUAkI1rvon2g.gif

how will you build a stronger resume outside of school?

how will you build a stronger resume outside of school?

I think you can still do things to help. Volunteering, networking, etc. If I'm able to find something in the hospital, I'll try to get as much clinical exposure as I can. I'll have to wait to see where I end up though to figure this part of my plan out better. :D

Don't count yourself out. We've interviewed a number of people this year who were currently working as community or hospital pharmacists...

All the sites I applied to don't use the phorcas system. They are supposed to hand down decisions fairly quickly. So I should find out this week. As a backup, which I'm 99% sure will go from the backup to the plan, I have a job lined up with wags in an area I am very happy to work in.

Don't count yourself out. We've interviewed a number of people this year who were currently working as community or hospital pharmacists...

Do you mind saying which State you are working at?

what makes them stand out compared to newly grads though?

Members don't see this ad :)
what makes them stand out compared to newly grads though?

Depends on the candidate... often times someone who as worked is more realistic about what a residency is and is not....their goals are more established.

Depends on the candidate... often times someone who as worked is more realistic about what a residency is and is not....their goals are more established.

This is good to know. I did meet a PGY-1 that came from retail. I know it's n=1, but it makes me hopeful if I don't match and have to go that route.

:laugh:

Don't know if this is sarcasm or not (the internetz make me think everything is sarcasm). :oops:

No sarcasm here my friend..very good outlook you have! I hope you match though. It seems like you have your heart in it!

No sarcasm here my friend..very good outlook you have! I hope you match though. It seems like you have your heart in it!

Just checking. You can never tell on here. :D

I've honestly been working on this since starting school. I feel like my life is spinning at the moment. I have like this weird calmness about it. I really want it, but I'm not stressing out about not getting it if that makes sense. This is unusual for me to be this optimistic about things as I'm normally a very high strung person about how I want certain things (although I never show that side of myself to people). I guess I've done what I can on my end. Time to just let things happen and see where life takes me. :)

We interviewed maybe 2-3 ex-retail...2 were duds, one had a personal issue needing to work and were only 1 year out of school.

It happens but the clock is running.

We interviewed maybe 2-3 ex-retail...2 were duds, one had a personal issue needing to work and were only 1 year out of school.

What made them duds exactly?

This is what i'm trying to avoid, what exactly made them duds and how did you identify personal issues?

was their lack of clinical exposure in retail troublesome?

This is what i'm trying to avoid, what exactly made them duds and how did you identify personal issues?

was their lack of clinical exposure in retail troublesome?

It can be...the further out you get, the harder it is...1-2 yrs max usually.

Personality issues you cannot tell until you meet the person.

Is it possible to get a refund of the registration fee($116) for the Match since I did not get any interviews and will not be participating in the Match?

Is it possible to get a refund of the registration fee($116) for the Match since I did not get any interviews and will not be participating in the Match?

No. Also, you need to be registered for the match to scramble (if you want to try that).

No interviews, got waitlisted by two programs for the interviews - still haven't heard from about 5 places but I think it's more looking like I won't be doing residency this year. Kinda heartbreaking granted how many hoops I jumped through - switching my rotations, killing myself on 6 day a week rotations, but ultimately the training I got is what I took away from it and not everybody is as lucky, so I guess I just have to be optimistic and look long term.

No interviews, got waitlisted by two programs for the interviews - still haven't heard from about 5 places but I think it's more looking like I won't be doing residency this year. Kinda heartbreaking granted how many hoops I jumped through - switching my rotations, killing myself on 6 day a week rotations, but ultimately the training I got is what I took away from it and not everybody is as lucky, so I guess I just have to be optimistic and look long term.
Keep your head up, I still hadn't heard from 3 programs and emailed them, one has responded and their response was "due to unforeseen changes we won't be offering a residency spot". I'm kinda like well can I get my application money back and were you ever going to let me know this :smuggrin:

I applied broadly and luckily did receive interviews but this process is very emotionally taxing.

I have had similar thoughts come across my mind when I think about not matching. But like rattergirl54 said, keep your head up. Glad you're being optimistic about things. While some of your classmates may brag about having chill rotations, not only have you gained more experience, hopefully you've also built character/work ethic through tougher training. You can take that with you for a lifetime.

my bad. I completely butchered rattlergirl53's username, haha. and it's right above me... -_-