Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got in to UIC's MPH program in epi! My stats are here if anyone is interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email rejection from Harvard SM2 Policy Track. This was the last program I was waiting to hear from, and despite the rejection I am relieved to have heard back from all my schools, finally!!

No more waiting, now the ball's in my court and I just need to decide.. UNC MHA or MN PHAP???

Good luck to others still waiting!

GPA: 3.3
UG Major: Psychology
GRE: V: 165 Q: 161 AW:3.5
Experience: 2 years healthcare improvement research and 1 year coordinating community based public health inititiatives.

Applied (all HPM): UNC MSPH, MN MPH, WI MPA/MPH, Columbia, Harvard (policy), GW (policy), UIC, UMich
Accepted: UNC, MN MPH, WI MPA/MPH, GW, UIC
Rejected: UMich, Columbia
Deciding Between: UNC and MN

Members don't see this ad :)
OK finally heard back from all my schools! Time to post my stats:

UGPA: 3.59
Major: Community Health
GRE: V (80%); Q (52%); AW (73%)
Experience: Two years Peace Corps Volunteer in Nicaragua, volunteered with MSM/ HIVaids organization in Boston for four months; interned at International Road Safety NGO for one year; and interned at World Health Organization for two months

Applied: JHUSPH (MPH); Columbia (PopFam MPH); Harvard (SM2 Global Health &Pop); Yale (SBS MPH); Tulane (Global Health Systems + Development MPH); BU (SBS MPH); Emory (Global Health MPH)
Accepted: JHUSPH, Columbia, Yale, Tulane, BU ($15,000 merit scholarship), Emory ($10,000 RPCV scholarship)
Rejected: Harvard

I'm leaning towards Hopkins :)

FYI - for all those waiting for UC Berkeley, I just called and they said we'll hear something either by "the end of today or end of next week."

:wtf:

Has anyone heard from Yale??? This decision process has gone into overtime :bang:

So far:

Admitted: UCLA - Epi (2/8), Berkeley - IDV (2/28), and Columbia - Epi (3/7) :D

Rejected: Harvard - SM2 Epi (2/22) :beat:

Waiting: Yale and BU (both Epi) :poke:

UGPA: 3.37 (Public University, Honors College)
Major/Minor: Political Science, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) (Honors Thesis: Geospatial analysis of fast-food outlets and socioeconomic factors correlated with type-II diabetes and obesity)
GRE: 152Q, 162V,4.0W

Experience/Research:
2 years - US Peace Corps/Guatemala
1 year - Research Assistant (paid, full time) Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Biobehavioral Health Disparities Lab
1 year- Health policy research (undergraduate, part-time), presented at NSF
Fluent in Spanish
NCAA/PAC-10 Athlete, All-American Athlete (reason GPA is a little on the low side)

Applied: University of Washington (Social & Behavioral Science), Tulane (Global Community Health & Behavioral Science), GW (Health Policy/Health Promotion), Columbia (Sociomedical Sciences, Social Determinants of Health), LSHTM (Public Health MSc)
Accepted: Tulane
Rejected:
Waitlisted: University of Washington

Last edited:
Finally! Sheesh!!!!

My stats are on the first page of this thread.

HARVARD (MPH, Health Policy Focus & Interdisciplinary Leadership):
11/17, submitted to SOPHAS
11/21, mailed by SOPHAS
12/4, confirmation email/app sent to dept
3/8, admitted (via email)

***I received the email at the end of the work day (EST). Good luck to those still waiting with bated breath, and I am sorry for those who did not get offers from the HSPH. If you are on a wait list - if there is such a thing at Harvard - you may be able to take mine. I may turn this down. ;) ***

...come on, Cal!!!!!

Rejected from Harvard, but it was expected as I didn't have two years work experience as they strongly suggested. I'm expecting the same decision from Cal, so it looks like this nerve-wracking period of my life is finally over! Now for choosing where to go.... Emory or Columbia????

My stats are above in this thread. I have been accepted into UCLA, George Washington University, Columbia, and Johns Hopkins so far in HPM. Now time to decide! I received a 10k offer from both Columbia and Hopkins but am heavily learning towards the "nicer" rent in Baltimore!

what987-
You're previous post about BU came off a little rude in my opinion. The program is great and I wouldn't disparage it or their admissions in any way. With a lot of these schools, it really comes down to fit. BU has terrific programs in some departments, and others that may not be as strong, but maybe they just felt you were not a fit for your field, not necessarily that you were "overqualified."

I'm sure you were frustrated by the rejection, and the admittedly very very short response time (only giving a few days after snailmail!). I think we all in this thread need to remember that one students safety is another students dream school, and we all have different tastes and flavors for what we want. We are lucky to be in this position to even consider graduate education, let's not allow our comments to indirectly belittle the achievements of others.

I must admit, I've been more than a little frustrated by BU as well. They've been almost rude in email correspondences and they've been painfully slow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if my response came off as demeaning to the school, and shortly after posting that comment (and before you posted yours), I edited out some of the more disparaging language in an effort to tone the post down after realizing that it might be taken the wrong way by BU students and applicants. I also originally had the disclaimer "at the risk of sounding like a pompous ass," because I was aware that my comment might be taken badly. It is not my intent to demean the dream schools of others. I should have made that clear in the first post, and I apologize for that. I am further editing the comment ensure it is polite.

As someone who went to a completely unranked liberal arts college for undergrad, I am extremely well aware that reputation is a terribly flawed way of looking at a school. I firmly believe that my college provided me with an education on par or better than that at many Ivy League colleges, even if it did not have the same resources. I have personally been insulted in public and in private because my school is unranked, and I know how that feels. Trust me when I say that if I insulted a school, I had no intention of doing so. Sometimes my emotions get the better of me, and it is a flaw I constantly attempt to overcome.

I don't think the quality of education is any worse at BU. Hell, it might even be better than that of the Ivies. I wouldn't have applied to BU if I had thought otherwise. But in my specific department, HPM, after research of the faculty, common practicums, and student interviews, I determined that the program was more locally focused and lacking some of the resources and employment connections of other programs at schools such as Columbia and Harvard. With other programs similar in scope to BU in these areas, I was offered more generous financial aid, and that is why I was confused and frustrated when I was wait listed (not rejected as you asserted). I would have strongly considered attending there if I had received a scholarship. After all, Boston is a hotspot for health care consulting and a great city in general.

I also made a comment regarding 'fit' because this is a professional degree program, not a traditional research degree. That means that fit doesn't matter nearly as much, as students follow a standardized track without a lot of research on the side. Professor connections are by no means necessary to complete the program either. That is why I'm confused as to how someone who wrote in his personal statement the he wanted to 'expand insurance enrollment for the underserved and to help reform health care systems to make them more efficient while preserving high quality of care' would not be a good fit at any health policy program. These are very general goals common amongst 90% of applicants. I had more specific goals alongside these, but I wrote that I am flexible as I am a young applicant.

I hope that this post explained the logic behind my previous one. While I fully admit that I was confused and frustrated by the decision, there was still a lot of legitimate reasoning mixed behind my post. I apologize again for my emotions getting the better for me.

I apologize if my response came off as demeaning to the school, and shortly after posting that comment (and before you posted yours), I edited out some of the more disparaging language in an effort to tone the post down after realizing that it might be taken the wrong way by BU students and applicants. I also originally had the disclaimer "at the risk of sounding like a pompous ass," because I was aware that my comment might be taken badly. It is not my intent to demean the dream schools of others. I should have made that clear in the first post, and I apologize for that. I am further editing the comment ensure it is polite.

As someone who went to a completely unranked liberal arts college for undergrad, I am extremely well aware that reputation is a terribly flawed way of looking at a school. I firmly believe that my college provided me with an education on par or better than that at many Ivy League colleges, even if it did not have the same resources. I have personally been insulted in public and in private because my school is unranked, and I know how that feels. Trust me when I say that if I insulted a school, I had no intention of doing so. Sometimes my emotions get the better of me, and it is a flaw I constantly attempt to overcome.

I don't think the quality of education is any worse at BU. Hell, it might even be better than that of the Ivies. I wouldn't have applied to BU if I had thought otherwise. But in my specific department, HPM, after research of the faculty, common practicums, and student interviews, I determined that the program was more locally focused and lacking some of the resources and employment connections of other programs at schools such as Columbia and Harvard. With other programs similar in scope to BU in these areas, I was offered more generous financial aid, and that is why I was confused and frustrated when I was wait listed (not rejected as you asserted). I would have strongly considered attending there if I had received a scholarship. After all, Boston is a hotspot for health care consulting and a great city in general.

I also made a comment regarding 'fit' because this is a professional degree program, not a traditional research degree. That means that fit doesn't matter nearly as much, as students follow a standardized track without a lot of research on the side. Professor connections are by no means necessary to complete the program either. That is why I'm confused as to how someone who wrote in his personal statement the he wanted to 'expand insurance enrollment for the underserved and to help reform health care systems to make them more efficient while preserving high quality of care' would not be a good fit at any health policy program. These are very general goals common amongst 90% of applicants. I had more specific goals alongside these, but I wrote that I am flexible as I am a young applicant.

I hope that this post explained the logic behind my previous one. While I fully admit that I was confused and frustrated by the decision, there was still a lot of legitimate reasoning mixed behind my post. I apologize again for my emotions getting the better for me.

I also came across your original comment (I see it's since been heavily redacted) and couldn't help wondering why you felt it was OK to react like an entitled, whiny brat. It's understandable that you were upset, but there was no need to disparage a program that any of us would be lucky to go to just because you didn't get the acceptance and royal treatment you apparently deserved. Letting your emotions get the better of you is a weak excuse and will never cut it in a real-world setting (i.e., not an anonymous forum). Every applicant here and elsewhere is facing the same (and worse) stressors you are, but seem to be doing so with better attitudes and more maturity. I'm glad someone had to courage to call you out on your behavior -- it appears to have caused you to reflect on what a major faux pas that was. Hopefully you've learned your lesson the easy way.

For the record, I was admitted to BU and will not be attending ($$).

what987-
You're previous post about BU came off a little rude in my opinion. The program is great and I wouldn't disparage it or their admissions in any way. With a lot of these schools, it really comes down to fit. BU has terrific programs in some departments, and others that may not be as strong, but maybe they just felt you were not a fit for your field, not necessarily that you were "overqualified."

I'm sure you were frustrated by the rejection, and the admittedly very very short response time (only giving a few days after snailmail!). I think we all in this thread need to remember that one students safety is another students dream school, and we all have different tastes and flavors for what we want. We are lucky to be in this position to even consider graduate education, let's not allow our comments to indirectly belittle the achievements of others.

Well said. Thank you.

Anyone else receive a financial aid package and want to jump off a cliff? What Columbia offered me was ALL loans and still 11,000 short of tuition (30,000+ short of cost of attendance).

Wow. Wasn't expecting that at all, especially because I don't make very much and my parents barely live above the poverty line. Columbia is absolutely not an option for me. Feeling pretty down about the whole cost situation in general. I am hoping BU and/or Yale give me SOMETHING that I could work with. :(

Anyone else receive a financial aid package and want to jump off a cliff? What Columbia offered me was ALL loans and still 11,000 short of tuition (30,000+ short of cost of attendance).

Wow. Wasn't expecting that at all, especially because I don't make very much and my parents barely live above the poverty line. Columbia is absolutely not an option for me. Feeling pretty down about the whole cost situation in general. I am hoping BU and/or Yale give me SOMETHING that I could work with. :(

I'm very sorry, gumby. I haven't received my FA package from them yet but I have received similar and understand the frustration (my parents are poverty-level as well). Fingers crossed that something will pull through :)

I'm sorry, I got the same package and yes a cliff is looking good right about now. Debt, here I come. It better be worth it.

I also came across your original comment (I see it's since been heavily redacted) and couldn't help wondering why you felt it was OK to react like an entitled, whiny brat. It's understandable that you were upset, but there was no need to disparage a program that any of us would be lucky to go to just because you didn't get the acceptance and royal treatment you apparently deserved. Letting your emotions get the better of you is a weak excuse and will never cut it in a real-world setting (i.e., not an anonymous forum). Every applicant here and elsewhere is facing the same (and worse) stressors you are, but seem to be doing so with better attitudes and more maturity. I'm glad someone had to courage to call you out on your behavior -- it appears to have caused you to reflect on what a major faux pas that was. Hopefully you've learned your lesson the easy way.

For the record, I was admitted to BU and will not be attending ($$).

Nearly all applicants to graduate schools have at one point or another said something similar to my comment to either themselves, their friends, or internet forums. Nearly all applicants apply to schools they consider to be safeties in order to get scholarship money, and often they say that they are doing so publicly. For heaven's sake, have you read half of the posts on this forum? They are filled to the brim with similar patterns of thought.

That doesn't excuse my comment by any means. I made it clear in the post you quoted (and hopefully read before insulting me) that there was no excuse for my behavior. It was not considerate of me to post such thoughts in public, especially when they were flawed ones. Calling another school a safety in public is a ****ty thing to do. But don't bash me with insults after I have apologized extensively for making that comment. Don't pile on hyperbolic insults for an extremely common sin— I mean, seriously, like you've never let your emotions get the best of you before? Otherwise you are being just as immature as I was when I typed that comment.

Last edited:
I agree with what 987. They edited, and took back what they said...goodness! I think it's time to lay off a bit. These forums are packed with pompous, obnoxious comments, and it's refreshing when someone pulls back, realizes they were out of line, admits, apologizes, and fixes it. We are all stressed, so can we give each other a break? Attacking the OP doesn't make you any better of a person. I choose not to take people's frustrations and attitudes to heart. Anyone who chooses to be so strongly offended by someone on an anonymous message board....well, how open are they leaving them self to being hurt in real life? Anyways, I'm not here to pick on anyone, to each their own. All I'm saying is, can we not act like we're holier than thou and can we cut what987 some slack?

I can completely relate! The loans are terrifying..I only have one acceptance so far, with no funding (to MN), but i'm dreading even thinking about the loans and financing. I wish more programs would give need based scholarships. Does anyone know when MN sends out their financial aid packages? Let's cross our fingers and hope we get some surprise funding!

I posted this on another thread but I thought it might be helpful here as well:

I strongly, strongly suggest everyone run some loan calculators to see how much of their paycheck is going to be eaten up every month, potentially for ten years or more, before blindly taking out substantial loans.

Americans, as a whole, just do not understand the negative effects of debt until it's too late.

Not trying to discourage anyone, just want everyone to really understand the effects of that level of debt.

I can completely relate! The loans are terrifying..I only have one acceptance so far, with no funding (to MN), but i'm dreading even thinking about the loans and financing. I wish more programs would give need based scholarships. Does anyone know when MN sends out their financial aid packages? Let's cross our fingers and hope we get some surprise funding!

MN won't send them out until July. Go here for more info: http://www.sph.umn.edu/current/incoming/aid/

I emailed like they said a week or so ago and haven't heard anything. I did get a very, very small scholarship from them- not even enough to cover a class lol.

I'm very sorry, gumby. I haven't received my FA package from them yet but I have received similar and understand the frustration (my parents are poverty-level as well). Fingers crossed that something will pull through :)

It's very discouraging. For me especially any more than 20k would just be silly. I have so much debt already ( and I mean SO much) and I have been working in public health for a few years and already have an OK position. Coming out of an MPH with medical school sized debt is just not an option for me.

Luckily I have someone to support me while I do a masters so I don't have to factor in COL expenses.

PS if anyone has any questions about the average post-MPH salaries in Boston feel free to PM me. I am pretty much an expert now.

it seems that tufts released another wave (?) of decisions! i saw that someone had updated their admission status on gradcafe, so i logged onto the applicant page to check mine. absolutely no info on any financials though.

Re: GumbyJ - I am with you - The Columbia package was super disappointing especially since as you said, my and my parents annual income are both pretty much poverty level. They offered me $5000 off tuition, $38,000 in loans and $6000 of tuition is not covered at all. Nothing else to cover cost of living even. Super disappointed since I was really trying to make Columbia happen. Do you guys think there is a chance that when people with merit/need based scholarships start turning offers down any of them may come our way? Ugghh, so sad about this.

:love:Finally got my acceptance letter from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine!!:love:

Just got into SDSU for epi. My stats are on page 3 for anyone interested!!!

Last edited:
Here is the final roll call. I have already made my decision. Good luck to Everyone!!!

Initial submission to SOPHAS: 10/30/2012. Verified: 11/9/2012

***My academic/professional profile is on the 1st page of the R.A.W. Data Fall 2013 thread.***

UCLA (MPH, Health Policy Focus & Global Health Certificate):
10/30, submitted to SOPHAS
11/14, mailed by SOPHAS
11/30, submitted GradApp (online)
12/14, confirmation email/app sent to dept
2/14, admitted (via e-mail/Word Doc attachment)
2/26, offer letter from Graduate Division (via email/web link)

BERKELEY (MPH, Health Policy Focus & Global Health Specialty Area):
11/14, mailed by SOPHAS
11/16, submitted Grad App (online)

11/21, mailed by SOPHAS

BOSTON U (MPH, Human Rights Focus):
11/30, submitted to SOPHAS
12/5, mailed by SOPHAS
12/11, confirmation email/app sent to dept
1/14, admitted (via email)
3/1, offer letter (via email/PDF) ***There were issues with mailing the offer letter. I finally had to ask for a PDF copy.***
3/4, offer letter (via post mail)

LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MED/KING'S COLLEGE LONDON (MSc, Global Mental Health):
11/5, submitted online myApp
12/17, admitted (via e-mail)
1/15, offer letter (via email/PDF)
1/22, offer letter (via post mail)

COLUMBIA (MPH, Health Policy Focus & Global Health Certificate):
12/14, submitted to SOPHAS
12/19, mailed by SOPHAS
3/6, admitted (via e-mail/PDF)

WHY I CHOSE UCLA: At the end of the day, it is about "goodness of fit." No one program is perfect, and UCLA is no exception. However, at UCLA most of the pieces of the puzzle fit my short-term and long-term interests and goals, both professionally and personally. Health policy training is top-notched at Fielding, and more specifically, it is at the forefront of mental health policy analysis and advocacy. (The clinical psychology PhD program at UCLA is also consistently ranked #1.) With my background in clinical psychology, I hope to integrate mental health into a public health degree that is rich in in-depth knowledge and applicable skills. The Center for Health Policy Research contributed a great deal to the Mental Health Services Act in California, which is a model for mental health reform at the federal level. The BRITE Center highlights the ongoing and needed work to address health disparities across demographics. There are 2 or 3 specific faculty with whom I would like to collaborate during graduate studies, as well.

Harvard is an excellent place for health policy training, but it is poor in mental health related policy curriculum. Columbia excels in mental health related policy training, though in my view not as strong as UCLA. Also, as a former graduate student of Columbia, I can attest to the excessive tuition and high cost of living in New York. (I also did my undergrad in NYC. In addition, a close friend is completing her doctoral fellowship at Mailman. She has pointed out that some MPH students "don't look happy.") The ratio of the value of the degree relative to the overall cost of attendance is significantly uneven. Also, Boston U is an excellent school and will offer plentiful networking, as the city is at the forefront of healthcare reform. Whatever the administrative complaints others have noted on these threads (reasonable or otherwise), they do not reflect the strong course offerings and practice-focused curriculum of the program. However, like Columbia the ratio of the overall value of the degree and the overall cost of the program seems uneven. (More personally, I have lived in Boston for two years. I have had enough of the snow and freezing temperatures.) The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine/KCL's joint program is a rare opportunity, not least of which is to be part of one of the most prestigious public health school worldwide. (And you know, being in London ain't so bad either!) However, more research into the curriculum, including speaking to current students, highlighted the limited health policy training. As someone completing a postdoctoral psychology fellowship, I am not interested in learning material I have been learning and applying for the better part of the last six years. I want to learn health policy, not mental health. Lastly, I chose UCLA over Berkeley because Berkeley is not UCLA. You cannot go wrong with Berkeley, and my personal choices are more salient in this regard. My family is in Southern California, and I have not been in the area for the better part of the last six years (because of graduate school). I want to be closer to family, I want sun and warm weather (!!!), I want to be in the most diverse county in the U.S., I miss Asian food (REAL Asian food!), I miss family. The choice is clear. (This is simply my opinion, "goodness of fit" as it applies to me. Of course, many will disagree - and should.)

UCLA, LET'S DO THIS. I cannot wait to wear shorts to class!

GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!

***Like most folks here, I do not expect to stick around these threads once the application cycle is over. However, feel free to private message. I am happy to answer questions and offer not-so-sage advise.***

I agree with what 987. They edited, and took back what they said...goodness! I think it's time to lay off a bit. These forums are packed with pompous, obnoxious comments, and it's refreshing when someone pulls back, realizes they were out of line, admits, apologizes, and fixes it. We are all stressed, so can we give each other a break? Attacking the OP doesn't make you any better of a person. I choose not to take people's frustrations and attitudes to heart. Anyone who chooses to be so strongly offended by someone on an anonymous message board....well, how open are they leaving them self to being hurt in real life? Anyways, I'm not here to pick on anyone, to each their own. All I'm saying is, can we not act like we're holier than thou and can we cut what987 some slack?

Could not agree more!

Here is the final roll call. I have already made my decision. Good luck to Everyone!!!

***My academic/professional profile is on the 1st page of the R.A.W. Data Fall 2013 thread.***

11/14, mailed by SOPHAS

11/14, mailed by SOPHAS

11/21, mailed by SOPHAS

12/5, mailed by SOPHAS
3/1, offer letter (via email/PDF) ***There were issues with mailing the offer letter. I finally had to ask for a PDF copy.***

LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MED/KING'S COLLEGE LONDON (MSc, Global Mental Health):

12/19, mailed by SOPHAS

WHY I CHOSE UCLA: At the end of the day, it is about "goodness of fit." No one program is perfect, and UCLA is no exception. However, at UCLA most of the pieces of the puzzle fit my short-term and long-term interests and goals, both professionally and personally. Health policy training is top-notched at Fielding, and more specifically, it is at the forefront of mental health policy analysis and advocacy. (The clinical psychology PhD program at UCLA is also consistently ranked #1.) With my background in clinical psychology, I hope to integrate mental health into a public health degree that is rich in in-depth knowledge and applicable skills. The Center for Health Policy Research contributed a great deal to the Mental Health Services Act in California, which is a model for mental health reform at the federal level. The BRITE Center highlights the ongoing and needed work to address health disparities across demographics. There are 2 or 3 specific faculty with whom I would like to collaborate during graduate studies, as well.

Harvard is an excellent place for health policy training, but it is poor in mental health related policy curriculum. Columbia excels in mental health related policy training, though in my view not as strong as UCLA. Also, as a former graduate student of Columbia, I can attest to the excessive tuition and high cost of living in New York. (I also did my undergrad in NYC. In addition, a close friend is completing her doctoral fellowship at Mailman. She has pointed out that some MPH students "don't look happy.") The ratio of the value of the degree relative to the overall cost of attendance is significantly uneven. Also, Boston U is an excellent school and will offer plentiful networking, as the city is at the forefront of healthcare reform. Whatever the administrative complaints others have noted on these threads (reasonable or otherwise), they do not reflect the strong course offerings and practice-focused curriculum of the program. However, like Columbia the ratio of the overall value of the degree and the overall cost of the program seems uneven. (More personally, I have lived in Boston for two years. I have had enough of the snow and freezing temperatures.) The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine/KCL's joint program is a rare opportunity, not least of which is to be part of one of the most prestigious public health school worldwide. (And you know, being in London ain't so bad either!) However, more research into the curriculum, including speaking to current students, highlighted the limited health policy training. As someone completing a postdoctoral psychology fellowship, I am not interested in learning material I have been learning and applying for the better part of the last six years. I want to learn health policy, not mental health. Lastly, I chose UCLA over Berkeley because Berkeley is not UCLA. You cannot go wrong with Berkeley, and my personal choices are more salient in this regard. My family is in Southern California, and I have not been in the area for the better part of the last six years (because of graduate school). I want to be closer to family, I want sun and warm weather (!!!), I want to be in the most diverse county in the U.S., I miss Asian food (REAL Asian food!), I miss family. The choice is clear. (This is simply my opinion, "goodness of fit" as it applies to me. Of course, many will disagree - and should.)

GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!

***Like most folks here, I do not expect to stick around these threads once the application cycle is over. However, feel free to private message. I am happy to answer questions and offer not-so-sage advise.***

Congrats! Feels good to be all decided doesn't it!

11/14, mailed by SOPHAS

11/14, mailed by SOPHAS

11/21, mailed by SOPHAS

12/5, mailed by SOPHAS

12/19, mailed by SOPHAS

GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!

congrats!!! see you there. :D

@porkbrunsrule You'll love UCLA. I mean, LA is great, the school is amazing, as are the people there... glad you found a place you like! And yes, the asian foooooooooooooooooooood

I was rejected by Cal via e-mail today. Again, completely expected since I didn't have the work experience, so I'm not even slightly fazed or upset by it.

ADMISSIONS SEASON IS OVER :):):):):) (for me)

Final roll call here:

UGPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Political Science (3.95), Psychology (4.0)
GRE: 163V, 156Q, 4.5 AWA

No work experience in the specific field of public health. Only experience in socioeconomic development. I'm fresh out of college. This is probably automatically disqualifying me from Berkeley and Harvard, but we'll see.

Applied: Health Policy/Management MPH at the following: Emory, BU, Harvard (80-hour MSC), Columbia, UPitt, Minnesota, UMich, Berkeley, GWU
Interviews: UMich (1/14), UPitt (12/15)
Accepted: UPitt (12/18), GWU (12/21), Emory (1/11), UMinn (1/17), Columbia (2/23)
Rejected: UMich (2/1), Harvard (3/8), Berkeley (3/11)
Waitlisted: BU (3/7, application withdrawn on 3/8 due to better offers from other schools)

It'll be a while before I make a decision, but my decision process so far is as follows:

UPitt - Declining because it is expensive, there's no aid, and the HPM faculty is more limited in connections.
UMinn - Declining because after thinking a lot about it, I can't live in Twin Cities. I hate the ultra-cold and I have no friends or family up there. It's a great and cheap program/city for HPM otherwise.
GWU - The program isn't well ranked, but the school has incredible policy resources and good Beltway connections. Still deciding, since living in DC is expensive when you don't have a DC-paying job.
Emory - Good school reputation, good faculty, good price (due to a special housing arrangement), friends nearby. Still deciding.
Columbia - Ivy reputation, excellent faculty that is extremely well connected on the policy side. Unfortunately, it costs about $10,000 more than the others in tuition and probably doubles my cost of living over the next two years, so I'd be looking at an extra $30,000 :0 for those benefits. I also have no plans on staying in the City afterwards, even though I might stay in the tri-state. Still deciding here.

Last edited:

11/14, mailed by SOPHAS

11/14, mailed by SOPHAS

11/21, mailed by SOPHAS

12/5, mailed by SOPHAS

12/19, mailed by SOPHAS

GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!

it must've been quite a hard decision for you. personally if i were in your position i would've screamed and jumped for Harvard. i would suck it up on the bad food and bad weather and the solitary life for the year haha. but again, everyone has their own need. perhaps i'm putting too much emphasis on the prestigious name. and not about the program.. though i hope i can learn health policy from the best people there is

thank you so much for being so helpful in these threads and to me personally. you have given me much help in shaping my application, and you have also given me much knowledge that i would never have learned since i am an international student

in the end, i wish you good luck in your journey. hope you get what you're searching for ^_^

regards
chris
(will be attending HSPH MPH in Healthcare policy and management)

it must've been quite a hard decision for you. personally if i were in your position i would've screamed and jumped for Harvard. i would suck it up on the bad food and bad weather and the solitary life for the year haha. but again, everyone has their own need. perhaps i'm putting too much emphasis on the prestigious name. and not about the program.. though i hope i can learn health policy from the best people there is

thank you so much for being so helpful in these threads and to me personally. you have given me much help in shaping my application, and you have also given me much knowledge that i would never have learned since i am an international student

in the end, i wish you good luck in your journey. hope you get what you're searching for ^_^

regards
chris
(will be attending HSPH MPH in Healthcare policy and management)

Good luck at Harvard! It's a great program, and you will like Boston. Harvard has excellent policy training, but not the kind of policies I am interested in. Thanks again! Enjoy New England!

My dilemma is between Harvard, Yale, and Minnesota for epidemiology.

I want to do research and pursue a PhD/SD later, but I also don't want to limit myself if I want to work straight out of getting an MPH either.

Harvard has one of the best epi programs in the world, and since I already live in Boston, I have contacts and already know my way around. Unfortunately, I would end up with a sizable chunk of debt (~50-60k?), and the question would be if it's worth justifying that amount to attend.

Yale is slightly cheaper than Harvard, saving ~10k overall. The program is much smaller and seems like it would be easier for me to pair up with a professor and do research.

Minnesota is by far the cheapest, and its epi program is also very strong. I was also admitted to its MS program in biostat, which I'm considering as well. Furthermore, I was given a one-time $10k scholarship should I choose to attend.

I've been racking my brain for a week thinking about where to go, but I can't seem to sniff out a clear choice. My heart says stay in Boston but my head says go to Minnesota.

Can anyone comment on the job prospects coming out of HSPH with an MS in epi vs. coming out of Minnesota with an MPH in epi?

Thanks

Congrats on your acceptances. I can't comment on epi job prospects, I simply don't know enough....as a Minnesotan I will tell u it is COLD. I have lived here almost my entire life, and the winters are so long, cold, snowy, and depressing. I don't know if it matters to you, but I know a couple of people who sought out any opportunity to leave just because of the cold. Good luck with your choice ;)

Hi just wondering if anyone still waiting on Michigan's decision for MPH in Hosp & Molecular Epi?

Anyone still waiting on BU? I'm 90% sure I'm going to Michigan but I'd still like to know all my options.

@porkbrunsrule You'll love UCLA. I mean, LA is great, the school is amazing, as are the people there... glad you found a place you like! And yes, the asian foooooooooooooooooooood

I was rejected by Cal via e-mail today. Again, completely expected since I didn't have the work experience, so I'm not even slightly fazed or upset by it.

ADMISSIONS SEASON IS OVER :):):):):) (for me)

Final roll call here:

UGPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Political Science (3.95), Psychology (4.0)
GRE: 163V, 156Q, 4.5 AWA

No work experience in the specific field of public health. Only experience in socioeconomic development. I'm fresh out of college. This is probably automatically disqualifying me from Berkeley and Harvard, but we'll see.

Applied: Health Policy/Management MPH at the following: Emory, BU, Harvard (80-hour MSC), Columbia, UPitt, Minnesota, UMich, Berkeley, GWU
Interviews: UMich (1/14), UPitt (12/15)
Accepted: UPitt (12/18), GWU (12/21), Emory (1/11), UMinn (1/17), Columbia (2/23)
Rejected: UMich (2/1), Harvard (3/8), Berkeley (3/11)
Waitlisted: BU (3/7, application withdrawn on 3/8 due to better offers from other schools)

It'll be a while before I make a decision, but my decision process so far is as follows:

UPitt - Declining because it is expensive, there's no aid, and the HPM faculty is more limited in connections.
UMinn - Declining because after thinking a lot about it, I can't live in Twin Cities. I hate the ultra-cold and I have no friends or family up there. It's a great and cheap program/city for HPM otherwise.
GWU - The program isn't well ranked, but the school has incredible policy resources and good Beltway connections. Still deciding, since living in DC is expensive when you don't have a DC-paying job.
Emory - Good school reputation, good faculty, good price (due to a special housing arrangement), friends nearby. Still deciding.
Columbia - Ivy reputation, excellent faculty that is extremely well connected on the policy side. Unfortunately, it costs about $10,000 more than the others in tuition and probably doubles my cost of living over the next two years, so I'd be looking at an extra $30,000 :0 for those benefits. I also have no plans on staying in the City afterwards, even though I might stay in the tri-state. Still deciding here.

Hey there! I also have a Political Science degree, and was initially interested in the dual MPH/JD programs at many of these schools. I may still eventually apply to law school, but given the costs and outlook for legal grads currently, I'm putting it off.

Have you done any research on the opportunities for individuals with just a BA/BS and MPH in getting involved in public policy? Specifically, I'm probably looking to do policy work for a think tank in the DC area after graduation from an MPH. Have you looked into this as well? Any thoughts or suggestions you have are welcome!

Thanks

Anyone still waiting on BU? I'm 90% sure I'm going to Michigan but I'd still like to know all my options.

Which Michigan program did you apply to?
And if you don't mind sharing, when did you do that?

Has anyone heard from Yale HPM? I had in my mind that we were supposed to have heard by March 15, but I just checked their website and they said final notifications will be made by May 31. To call or not to call...

Has anyone received grants or scholarships to Harvard, if so what program did you apply to?

For those asking about YSPH I called Mary int he office a bunch and got my decision for policy a week ago.

Rejected from Columbia & Yale, but I knew that was a reach.

Anyone else waiting for BU or Drexel? I feel like they're taking forever...

In terms of timeline, I e-submitted my SOPHAS app by 1/3/2013. It was verified on 1/29/2013, mailed on 2/6/13 and schools had received my app by 2/11/13. My non-SOPHAS apps (Mount Sinai, Tufts, and UConn) sent all my apps by 1/15/2013.

Applied: Mount Sinai, Tufts, Drexel, Yale, BU, Columbia, and UConn (All for Epi)
Accepted: Tufts (2/15)
Rejected: Columbia (3/11), Yale (3/12)
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Is anyone still waiting on HSB at Cal or HBE at UNC? The wait is starting to irritate me. :mad:

Has anyone heard from Yale HPM? I had in my mind that we were supposed to have heard by March 15, but I just checked their website and they said final notifications will be made by May 31. To call or not to call...
I got my acceptance from Yale HPM on 3/1 by email. I submitted on SOPHAS 1/15, application was mailed on 2/21.

I am still waiting on Yale and BU (both HPM) as well! And those are the last two! I heard back from Berkeley yesterday (rejection - I did not have any post-graduation work experience though, so it was a reach).

SOPHAS verified 1/15/13
SOPHAS submitted 11/21/12