Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UGPA: 3.37 (Public University, Honors College)
Major/Minor: Political Science, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) (Honors Thesis: Geospatial analysis of fast-food outlets and socioeconomic factors correlated with type-II diabetes and obesity)
GRE: 152Q, 162V,4.0W

Experience/Research:
2 years - US Peace Corps/Guatemala (developed HIV and nutrition curriculum, worked for PEPFAR HIV initiative)
1 year - Research Assistant (paid, full time) Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Biobehavioral Health Disparities Lab; work on health disparities among Latino migrants in eastern Washington State
1 year- health policy research (undergraduate) @ Consortium for Science, Policy, & Outcomes
Fluent in Spanish
NCAA/PAC-10 Athlete, All-American Athlete (reason GPA is a little on the low side)

Applied: UW, Tulane, GW, Columbia, LSHTM
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am pretty concerned that my GPA is too low for admission to most schools; is this true? Does anyone know if a 3.3 is too low? I can always apply again next year I guess ...:)

I am sure you will do just fine. Your overall stats are still competitive. I also have a 3.3 GPA (from a top 3 public uni) and was accepted to UCLA and Berkeley. Good Luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Major/Minor: Political Science, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) (Honors Thesis: Geospatial analysis of fast-food outlets and socioeconomic factors correlated with type-II diabetes and obesity)

Experience/Research:
2 years - US Peace Corps/Guatemala (developed HIV and nutrition curriculum, worked for PEPFAR HIV initiative)
1 year - Research Assistant (paid, full time) Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Biobehavioral Health Disparities Lab; work on health disparities among Latino migrants in eastern Washington State
1 year- health policy research (undergraduate) @ Consortium for Science, Policy, & Outcomes
Fluent in Spanish
NCAA/PAC-10 Athlete, All-American Athlete (reason GPA is a little on the low side)

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am pretty concerned that my GPA is too low for admission to most schools; is this true? Does anyone know if a 3.3 is too low? I can always apply again next year I guess ...:)

Hi there, I think you don't have to worry too much about GPA - it's important, but it's definitely not everything. I got 3.25 and got into Harvard SM2 and Berkeley. Fingers crossed ;)

I want to hear from Berkeley more than anything
I literally checked my email every 30 mins today. They need to save us the torture!

Members don't see this ad :)
beautiful march.. i'm so f-ing happy. got into healthcare policy and management track (policy focus) in harvard. just got the email ^_^

my stats on the first page of this thread

Hello! Has anyone applying to University of Washington MPH in Social & Behavioral Sciences heard anything??? We were meant to hear back today I believe. Thanks!

I emailed UW a while back about an application question (same concentration as you) and they said they were meeting to make decisions at the end of February and that they would release decisions in the first few weeks of March! So I would assume next week or the one after that.

Experience/Research:
Fluent in Spanish

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I've got a lower GPA - 3.25 (3.28 WES) - and have 1.5 years of public health experience in developing countries. I was accepted at Hopkins, Harvard and Columbia and am waiting for LSHTM. Your experience is great and, accompanied by a strong personal statement, you shouldn't have to worry too much about your GPA.

Wishing you all the best!!!!!!!

beautiful march.. i'm so f-ing happy. got into healthcare policy and management track (policy focus) in harvard. just got the email ^_^

my stats on the first page of this thread

Congratulations! Well-deserved! I remember that you and I communicated briefly early in the application process about health policy tracks in various programs. I am happy to see that you have been offered a spot in the course. I live in Boston, and needless to say, Harvard is an excellent place to learn and train. Congrats, again!

Sorry for the double post, but I checked WolverineAccess, and it says:

"A decision has been made. You will be receiving an official email from the University of Michigan, School of Public Health."

I have no e-mail. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS IS MY #1 CHOICE SOMEONE KILL ME

The suspense is going to cut my life expectancy by 10 years.

Am totally re-living this experience right now. Got the website notice several days ago, and yet no email!! Honestly now, does this mean a rejection?

Am totally re-living this experience right now. Got the website notice several days ago, and yet no email!! Honestly now, does this mean a rejection?

The interviewing professor will probably contact you within a few days if you are accepted. If not, you could be in for a long wait like I was.

The interviewing professor will probably contact you within a few days if you are accepted. If not, you could be in for a long wait like I was.

Thanks, what987. I suspect it is the latter, at this point. A decision announcement via website which promises an email that never comes is vexing.

Thanks so much for your input!

Congratulations! Well-deserved! I remember that you and I communicated briefly early in the application process about health policy tracks in various programs. I am happy to see that you have been offered a spot in the course. I live in Boston, and needless to say, Harvard is an excellent place to learn and train. Congrats, again!

i'm hoping all the best for you ^_^ just wondering whether a harvard spot would encourage you to leave LSHTM haha. so happy to be accepted in one of the best (if not the best) health policy and management school. the cross registers at kennedy, the professors, the curricula... i'm so excited..

YALE WHERE ARE YOU WHY WON'T YOU SEND ME A DECISION. Seriously has anyone out there heard from Yale in the last 2 weeks? the wait is taking years out of my life haha

Members don't see this ad :)
And I mean specifically for Health policy and management :)

@Hefty-I'm still technically waiting on Emory and Berkeley before I weigh my loan options and scholarship prospects, but I'm planning on visiting ucla to talk to some professors and get a feel for the EHS program since I still don't know a whole about theirs, but it will be so much closer to home for me and I do not mind staying in LA/California for a public health career :D

@porkbuns-That's pretty assuring to know, I've noticed a lot of other schools did that as well. Also I read some of your posts about ucla and general idea of what to expect being at the school and city and general and it was pretty helpful.

Just lurking. I was wondering if you might find it helpful to know my timeline for Emory (I applied for the MSPH in EH/EPI so it needed to go through EH and epi

SOPHAS: 1/3 (yes I'm a procrastinator)
SOPHAS verification done: 1/28
Emory App Completed: 2/1
Emory App Received (I'm assuming by departments?): 2/22
Acceptance Email from advisor: 2/27

Good luck!

And I mean specifically for Health policy and management :)

They sent out some decisions about two weeks ago, on Monday 2/22 for HPM... including waitlisting :( I'd imagine you'll hear very soon.

Just lurking. I was wondering if you might find it helpful to know my timeline for Emory (I applied for the MSPH in EH/EPI so it needed to go through EH and epi

SOPHAS: 1/3 (yes I'm a procrastinator)
SOPHAS verification done: 1/28
Emory App Completed: 2/1
Emory App Received (I'm assuming by departments?): 2/22
Acceptance Email from advisor: 2/27

Good luck!

Thanks for letting me know! I'm starting to feel that it's taking a really long time for them to notify me via email/opus of my decision and the visit Emory date is already coming up. Here is a brief timeline.

SOPHAS mailed my app to Emory: 12/28
Emory App Received: 1/7

Columbias program is much better. I'm also considering both ;/

I'm also trying to decided between Emory and NYU. Were you a dual Degree candidate or do you already have a masters?

While NYU's program is fairly new, the fact that it is NYU speaks volumes. Also, NYU's strength is that it has begin its journey in public health by focusing on global health, which is essential to the new mission of public health. I'm sure you will be a great fit there. And the fact that it is accredited is all that is important according to CEPH.
I'm also trying to decided between Emory and NYU. Were you a dual Degree candidate or do you already have a masters?

$9,000 is better than nothing but really doesn't put a dent in the actual cost of NYU, I agree. Looks like I'm about to take on some huge financial aid debt. I'm hoping Columbia sends out decisions soon.
EACH- I feel like non-NYCers need to have that / when you explain rent. I live in the city in a very very tiny apartment and my roommate and I pay 1000/each

I'm in the exact same position as you but I'm definitely leaning towards NYU...

i'm hoping all the best for you ^_^ just wondering whether a harvard spot would encourage you to leave LSHTM haha. so happy to be accepted in one of the best (if not the best) health policy and management school. the cross registers at kennedy, the professors, the curricula... i'm so excited..

Can you remind me when you submitted your application to HSPH? It sounds like it's the place you want to be. Will you be matriculating, or will you wait for the other schools' decisions?

Like many applicants have mentioned here, it will come down to financial issues for me between Harvard and LSHTM - or wherever else. I applied to both internal and external scholarships to cover Harvard and LSHTM. Though I have not heard any other financial offers/scholarships from UCLA, I have taken a closer look at the curriculum, and I think it is a strong contender at this point. I will likely decline BU. Despite what some may say, BU's program is strong, practice-oriented, and well connected. The merit award is a wonderful offer but insufficient relative to the total cost of attendance.

Thanks in advance!

Can you remind me when you submitted your application to HSPH? It sounds like it's the place you want to be. Will you be matriculating, or will you wait for the other schools' decisions?

Like many applicants have mentioned here, it will come down to financial issues for me between Harvard and LSHTM - or wherever else. I applied to both internal and external scholarships to cover Harvard and LSHTM. Though I have not heard any other financial offers/scholarships from UCLA, I have taken a closer look at the curriculum, and I think it is a strong contender at this point. I will likely decline BU. Despite what some may say, BU's program is strong, practice-oriented, and well connected. The merit award is a wonderful offer but insufficient relative to the total cost of attendance.

Thanks in advance!

i will secure my place. paying the 520$ fee (which will be reduced from the tuition fee). HSPH IS the place i want to be ^_^ . for health policy focus, people say that HSPH is even better than JHSPH.. is it true? i think the cross registers at kennedy is one strong point of HSPH. I submitted my application on Nov 1st.

so far i applied for internal funding only, I will try to find external funding after i got the physical & pdf LoA. dont think i have much chance for external funding as i'm also applying for summer sessions (which starts early July). fingers crossed for schoolwide scholarship announcement in a few days.

all the best for you!

Got a rejection from UNC.
Not terribly bummed, still waiting for Harvard and Hopkins.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Admitted : Columbia, Mich, Emory, UMN, U of Pitts, GWU, and BU and Drexel (with scholarships)
Rejected: Yale and UNC

has there been acceptance emails sent out on Saturdays or Sundays?

And between Columbia, Emory and Mich....what are the thoughts?
I am leaning towards Columbia, what with the name and living in NYC (a long time dream).
The cost is a little scary, but considering almost all schools will leave me with a ton of debt...I figured what does an extra10-20K change?
Emory has CDC and possibly easier access to jobs? And I have only heard great things about Mich, just friendlier and a happy place to study and work (as compared to Columbia).

My Drexel email came on a Sunday

The excitement of my acceptances has worn off and I am trying to figure out the financial aspect of getting my MPH at Yale, Columbia or BU. It looks like I might not be attending any school next year, my huge undergraduate debt burden makes taking out more than 20-30k in loans pretty much a non-option and it doesn't look like I will be able to attend any of those schools for that amount. Bummer.

I've been kind of slacking about updating my decisions. So...

Applied: Yale (EH), Texas (Epi), Berkeley (MS - EH), UCLA (EH), SDSU (Epi), Emory (MSPH - Epi+EH), Tulane (MSPH - EH), NYU (MS - EH)

Accepted: Tulane, Texas, Emory, and NYU:love:
(the the order in which they came)

Waiting: SDSU, Berkeley, UCLA

Rejected: Yale

The excitement of my acceptances has worn off and I am trying to figure out the financial aspect of getting my MPH at Yale, Columbia or BU. It looks like I might not be attending any school next year, my huge undergraduate debt burden makes taking out more than 20-30k in loans pretty much a non-option and it doesn't look like I will be able to attend any of those schools for that amount. Bummer.

I am so sorry to hear this. I understand your concerns about financial debt, and kudos to you for giving it serious consideration. Is one option to take some "time off" and reapply? Perhaps in the hopes that either you will have some savings or you will have improved your chances of getting a scholarship? Perhaps even have your eventual employer work for it?

I can see how the latter two options are viable. Saving for graduate school, however, is not as likely, in my opinion - or at least, not enough to make a huge dent with the rising costs of higher education. In other words if you wait a year or two, I doubt you will have earned enough and saved enough to offset the cost (although, again, you may increase your chances of getting some institutional funding - say, because you will have accrued relevant experience). Of course, who knows. Perhaps you will have secured a well-paying job. Tuition will rise, but in general, wages are stagnant. Is it more sensible to invest in the education now while the tuition is lower? Is it more sensible to accrue the debt and come out in the end with a job that, yes, will not garner significant wages but (hopefully) potentially will be more lucrative than if you did not have the public health degree? In other words you may be ahead of the curb and start earning a higher salary with the degree so that in the longer term you can chip away at that debt.

There is no easy answer. There are too many personal and professional factors to consider. All the schools you mention offer great training.

I am so sorry to hear this. I understand your concerns about financial debt, and kudos to you for giving it serious consideration. Is one option to take some "time off" and reapply? Perhaps in the hopes that either you will have some savings or you will have improved your chances of getting a scholarship? Perhaps even have your eventual employer work for it?

I can see how the latter two options are viable. Saving for graduate school, however, is not as likely, in my opinion - or at least, not enough to make a huge dent with the rising costs of higher education. In other words if you wait a year or two, I doubt you will have earned enough and saved enough to offset the cost (although, again, you may increase your chances of getting some institutional funding - say, because you will have accrued relevant experience). Of course, who knows. Perhaps you will have secured a well-paying job. Tuition will rise, but in general, wages are stagnant. Is it more sensible to invest in the education now while the tuition is lower? Is it more sensible to accrue the debt and come out in the end with a job that, yes, will not garner significant wages but (hopefully) potentially will be more lucrative than if you did not have the public health degree? In other words you may be ahead of the curb and start earning a higher salary with the degree so that in the longer term you can chip away at that debt.

There is no easy answer. There are too many personal and professional factors to consider. All the schools you mention offer great training.

Thanks porkbunsrule for your insights. Everything you described is basically what I am going through right now. All three are fantastic schools and right now things are so up in the air. I may actually end up paying deposits to all 3 schools and then having until summer to decide. I am in kind of a unique situation because my fiancé is graduating from a grad program in May and is just starting to look for jobs. He definitely will not have a job offer by April 15. He is looking in Boston, New Haven and New York so things are very up in the air! Also, he works in a very lucrative field - so it is possible we would have the $$ in a year or two.

Does anyone know how schools would view someone who turned down an acceptance and then applied a year or two later? I'm not sure how or if this would hurt an application.

Thanks porkbunsrule for your insights. Everything you described is basically what I am going through right now. All three are fantastic schools and right now things are so up in the air. I may actually end up paying deposits to all 3 schools and then having until summer to decide. I am in kind of a unique situation because my fiancé is graduating from a grad program in May and is just starting to look for jobs. He definitely will not have a job offer by April 15. He is looking in Boston, New Haven and New York so things are very up in the air! Also, he works in a very lucrative field - so it is possible we would have the $$ in a year or two.

Does anyone know how schools would view someone who turned down an acceptance and then applied a year or two later? I'm not sure how or if this would hurt an application.

What about deferring instead?

Have you checked into the public service loan forgiveness to see if you would qualify?

I'm paying deposits so I can visit the schools during the summer to. The one month they give you to make a decision is pretty short and hard to work into my schedule D:

Can anyone confirm that BU's program is only 1.5 years? I see it on their website, but I thought maybe that it was possible to complete in 1.5 years, but most students choose to stay for 2 (not that I would want to spend more money for an extra semester). Can anyone provide some insight?

...ok, so I was wrong. :D

But this week, definitely this week. :highfive:

I'm just going to call HSPH right now and get it over with.

edit: Don't call the admissions office, folks. They are just sending out decisions as they make them, and not in batches. So don't call them unless you don't hear from them in the next three weeks.

Last edited:

edit: Don't call the admissions office, folks. They are just sending out decisions as they make them, and not in batches. So don't call them unless you don't hear from them in the next three weeks.

Thanks for keeping us posted about the way they are releasing decisions! I'm getting a bit impatient and nervous as this is the last school that I will be hearing from and it basically determines where I'll be going. Hopefully we'll hear some good news soon!

Can anyone confirm that BU's program is only 1.5 years? I see it on their website, but I thought maybe that it was possible to complete in 1.5 years, but most students choose to stay for 2 (not that I would want to spend more money for an extra semester). Can anyone provide some insight?

I am not sure what the confusion is if you see on the website that you can complete it in 1.5 years. I have seen the same information, and it is possible to do in 1.5 years. I am not sure where you are getting the "most students choose to stay for 2," but if it says you can do it in 1.5 years, go with that.

I am not sure what the confusion is if you see on the website that you can complete it in 1.5 years. I have seen the same information, and it is possible to do in 1.5 years. I am not sure where you are getting the "most students choose to stay for 2," but if it says you can do it in 1.5 years, go with that.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My question is if students find it more comfortable completing their degree in 2 years/feel that you get a more well-rounded education in that time. I know plenty of other schools (although not in PH) that offer an advanced degree program, but some students prefer to graduate later. I am just concerned about the curriculum and elective completion as most schools have a 2 year program.

Thank you for calling them - I was debating doing such today as the waiting is driving me nuts (I submitted my app to SOPHAS in early November, so it's been nearly 4 months!). Looks like I'll keep twiddling my thumbs until Friday agin.

UGPA: 3.7, top 10 university
Major/Minor: econ
GRE: 157Q 165V 5W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 2.5 years post-undergrad research in public health. 2 accepted publications (one as 1st author), posters and presentations at conferences.

Waiting to hear: Harvard (SM2 Epi)
Accepted: Emory (GLEPI, no info on $$ yet), Yale (EMD), U Maryland- Baltimore (PhD in Epi), Emory (PBEE PhD program).

Almost 100% certain about joining Emory's PBEE program. Waiting to hear from Rollins and HSPH, scholarships might make me rethink.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My question is if students find it more comfortable completing their degree in 2 years/feel that you get a more well-rounded education in that time. I know plenty of other schools (although not in PH) that offer an advanced degree program, but some students prefer to graduate later. I am just concerned about the curriculum and elective completion as most schools have a 2 year program.

I realize I'm quoting myself, but I reached out to an acquaintance who recently graduated from BUSPH and she said the following:

"You can finish in 3 semesters, but you're taking the minimum number of required hours. Professors don't advise it unless you're sure you've gotten everything you want out of it, and it requires you to load on the max hours in 1 semester, but I did it! I thought it was fine, I was always doing work though - fri night, sat night, etc. but it was work I enjoyed b/c I cared about the material, and because I did that, I took an entire semester to do my practicum full-time, which I think was the best decision I could have made since I had zero public health work experience prior to entering the program. It's not for everyone though, think about how much you want to take from the program, look at course offerings, etc. You also were in the undergrad sph program weren't you? So you may be exempt from certain requirements, and can definitely get a lot out of the program in only 3 semesters since you can afford more hours for your concentration."

Hope it helps anyone who was wondering!

The 1.5 years is a great sell, and if it is doable, it is an attractive option, particularly given the high tuition. However, there is a reason why most MPH programs are 2 years, with the exception of those that require an advanced (typically doctoral). At BU one added semester means more tuition - and potentially more debt. Check and see which courses you would like to take. Perhaps, as your friend says, you can get what you need in those 3 semesters.

On a random note, I received scholarship information from Minnesota on Friday via email and also snail mail today. I received a $3,000 one time scholarship. Not a lot considering the out of state tuition, but still grateful that I received a scholarship :) They haven't told me anything else about other scholarships or financial aid yet though.

On a random note, I received scholarship information from Minnesota on Friday via email and also snail mail today. I received a $3,000 one time scholarship. Not a lot considering the out of state tuition, but still grateful that I received a scholarship :) They haven't told me anything else about other scholarships or financial aid yet though.

I got one too for $4579. (yeah, really random...). I guess we don't get fa packages from them until June but you can email for an estimate. I emailed early last week and no response yet :(

UGPA: 2.978
Major/Minor: BS Biology
GRE: W: 3.0 Verbal: 159, Quant: 151

Experience/Research: Research assistant for 3 years, lots of volunteer experience, internship

All MPH-Epi program except for SLU and USF (Epi/MCH)
Applied: BU, Saint Louis, GWU, University of South Florida, Hunter, Tulane, UT-Houston
Accepted: USF (3/1), Saint Louis (3/1), BU (3/4 w/merit)
Rejected: Tulane, UT-Houston
Still waiting: GWU, Hunter

Thought BU was a long shot but I'm so happy!!

UGPA: 2.978
Major/Minor: BS Biology
GRE: W: 3.0 Verbal: 159, Quant: 151

Experience/Research: Research assistant for 3 years, lots of volunteer experience, internship

All MPH-Epi program except for SLU and USF (Epi/MCH)
Applied: BU, Saint Louis, GWU, University of South Florida, Hunter, Tulane, UT-Houston
Accepted: USF (3/1), Saint Louis (3/1), BU (3/4 w/merit)
Rejected: Tulane, UT-Houston
Still waiting: GWU, Hunter

Thought BU was a long shot but I'm so happy!!

Congratulations!

I got one too for $4579. (yeah, really random...). I guess we don't get fa packages from them until June but you can email for an estimate. I emailed early last week and no response yet :(

Oh wow that's really an interesting amount! I will definitely try contacting them as well. It would be really helpful to know about fin aid before we make a decision.

If anyone is attending the admitted students event at UMN on Monday March 11, can you please post about your experiences there? I definitely will not be able to make it and would love some insight :)