MD & DO Reinvention Story WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorVanNostrand

Reaction score
Hello, I am a nontraditional student who has reinvented myself over the last four years. I know I am a long shot for MD, but I hope my upward trend and solid MCAT will give me a chance. Otherwise, I would be more than happy to attend a DO school. Do I have any hope for MD? Am I a solid candidate for DO? Should I apply to more DO schools? Thanks in advance for any advice.

State of Residence: Texas

Schools to Which You Are Applying: All TMDSAS, 30 mid/low tier AMCAS, 15 AACOMAS

Cumulative GPA: 3.17 (3.03undergrad, 3.85 grad)

Science GPA: 3.04 (2.77 undergrad, 3.85 grad)

MCAT Scores: 515 (130,126,128,131)

Research: 300 hours in nutrition lab during undergrad. In this lab I worked directly with patients - taking blood pressure, EKGs, phlebotomy, etc...
1000+ hours as clinical research coordinator for top hospital.

Volunteering (clinical): 150 hours hospice

Shadowing: 30 hours family practice split between MD and DO

Non-clinical Volunteering: 100 hours Special Olympics volunteer.
200 hours hurricane relief volunteer.

Extracurricular Activities: College athletics for 2 years

Employment History: Worked full time as server/bartender for final three years of undergrad and all of grad school. Now full time as CRC.

Immediate family members in medicine? N

Specialty of Interest: not sure

Graduate Degrees: masters in biomedical science

Interest in Rural Health (y/n) Yes

URM: No

Members don't see this ad.

OOS MD schools are unlikely with your GPAs but you may receive interviews at some of your Texas schools. Which DO schools did you apply to ?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the response. I applied to the following and was complete in late September / early October:

Midwestern (both)
NYIT (NY campus)
Mich St
Western (both)
Des Moines
KCU
LECOM (All)
NOVA
RVU (Both)
AT Still
Pacific Northwest (connection to area)
TCOM