Reimbursement Problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmick101

Kung Fu DDS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today I got a phone call from some office guy inquiring about my reimbursment packet. Here is how the phone call went:

Dude: OBVIOUSLY you havent read the benefits book have you? (Seriously, this guy was full of sass)

Self: I havent read it in fine detail, but actually I have looked it over.

Dude: Well, if you did then you would know that we cant reimburse things over sixty days.

Self: It wouldnt have been sixty days if you hadnt lost the original packet. This one is a copy made just in case you guys lost it, which you did.

Dude: Oh.... well I guess we can get a waver for that... but what are you doing buying so many teeth and diamond burs? No one else is buying that many burs. I checked with our dental school experts and they said you are allotted 4 BURS A YEAR (not kidding, not exaggerating). We are going to have to call your Dean about this.

This is when the conversation degenerated into me telling Dude that he apparently knew little to nothing about what Dental School is like. Perhaps he failed to see the signatures of the two school officials who signed off my paperwork before I sent it. Basically homeboy wants to bust me for buying legit school supplies. Needless to say I am still a bit livid about some desk jockey accusing me of fraud.

Anyone else had any problems with these folks?

Members don't see this ad.

So today I got a phone call from some office guy inquiring about my reimbursment packet. Here is how the phone call went:

Dude: OBVIOUSLY you havent read the benefits book have you? (Seriously, this guy was full of sass)

Self: I havent read it in fine detail, but actually I have looked it over.

Dude: Well, if you did then you would know that we cant reimburse things over sixty days.

Self: It wouldnt have been sixty days if you hadnt lost the original packet. This one is a copy made just in case you guys lost it, which you did.

Dude: Oh.... well I guess we can get a waver for that... but what are you doing buying so many teeth and diamond burs? No one else is buying that many burs. I checked with our dental school experts and they said you are allotted 4 BURS A YEAR (not kidding, not exaggerating). We are going to have to call your Dean about this.

This is when the conversation degenerated into me telling Dude that he apparently knew little to nothing about what Dental School is like. Perhaps he failed to see the signatures of the two school officials who signed off my paperwork before I sent it. Basically homeboy wants to bust me for buying legit school supplies. Needless to say I am still a bit livid about some desk jockey accusing me of fraud.

Anyone else had any problems with these folks?

Which branch are you? I'm Navy and my experience has been better than expected. I submitted my book reimbursement after 6 months along with a letter begging them to reimburse me and they did. Maybe it was an isolated incident but I was pretty happy.

Which branch are you? I'm Navy and my experience has been better than expected. I submitted my book reimbursement after 6 months along with a letter begging them to reimburse me and they did. Maybe it was an isolated incident but I was pretty happy.

Army

Members don't see this ad :)
WOw, times have changed, I never ever was questioned on what I bought, and I bought plenty of teeth and burs. I graduated in 2004. Is it still the same guy doing it?

ill be honest, i just bought my own my own teeth and burs after i got reimbursed up to the published limit. i knew 4 burs was beyond lowballed, but i also had better things to do than try to fight some HM3 about reimbursing me for a $3 diamond bur. by not raging against the machine, maybe i was just making it worse for those coming behind me...sorry! seriously though, you may just want to really make use of some of the other stuff they will pay for...articulators, spatulas, whip-mix kits, etc. just stuff to squirrel away for that day you are practicing outside the military.

There is a limit now to how many you can buy? Yup, times have changed, since when I was in school, I don't remember there being a limit. Yikes!!!! I even had a lab engine stolen and the Army replaced it for me.

Well, I dont know how or if the standards have changed as to what the Army will reimburse. I think it was just an understanding that those limits were more of "guidelines" than hard and fast rules. The Army must realize that 4 burs a year is ridiculous. I just got an email from the clinic director here at school to come and meet with him to discuss my purchases. Apparently he got a phone call from some Col. :eek: asking about my account. This is exactly what I need during finals week.