Regrets with applying to residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else regret applying to residency? I've interviewed at several places so far and the more I sit there listening about programs and answering questions the more I wish I didn't apply. I dunno, probably senioritis kicking in but there's a part of me that just wants to work now. I had a HUGE desire to do residency but for some reason that desire has started to dwindle down. Sorry, just venting.

Members don't see this ad.

You are just overwhelmed with the amount of information being given to you about what residency entails, especially when they list out the residency requirements to you. I have had a similar lingering feeling in the back of my mind, but it seems to me that once you actually start residency, you will find a way to normalize your life all over again and it will not be so bad. If you could go through pharmacy school, you definitely have the capacity of going through a residency. All you need is the zeal to do so.

You are just overwhelmed with the amount of information being given to you about what residency entails, especially when they list out the residency requirements to you. I have had a similar lingering feeling in the back of my mind, but it seems to me that once you actually start residency, you will find a way to normalize your life all over again and it will not be so bad. If you could go through pharmacy school, you definitely have the capacity of going through a residency. All you need is the zeal to do so.

Thanks man, good to hear that I'm not the only one feeling the same. Everyone in my class is so excited about residency and I feel like "whatever" right now. I think my current rotation and these interviews are starting to take a toll on me....I just want to graduate NOW, hahaha.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree. Interview season gets to all of us (even those on the other side). Once you have some time off and get started at your residency, you'll feel a lot better about your decision. Good luck!

Anyone else regret applying to residency? I've interviewed at several places so far and the more I sit there listening about programs and answering questions the more I wish I didn't apply. I dunno, probably senioritis kicking in but there's a part of me that just wants to work now. I had a HUGE desire to do residency but for some reason that desire has started to dwindle down. Sorry, just venting.

Helloder, I was searching google to see if anyone else felt exactly what you are describing and then stumbled across the SDN website. I had to join just to tell you that I too, feel the need to just be done with school and live life! I have interviewed for several residency positions now, and felt a little downhearted reading some of the posts on this website about how residency just isn't worth it to a lot of people. Right now I have conflicting feelings, but I will say that the other members that replied to your post have helped to lift my spirits a little too. I tend to think that all things work out in the end, so whatever route we end up going, we can seek out the positives, or even the silver lining if it comes to it. :)

You are not alone, I can speak for myself and a number of my classmates. I think the reasons obviously are different for each person. Some people are getting senioritis and will be ready to go once residency starts and others may have realized through residency interviews that it just isn't the career path they want to go. Whatever the reason, do what best fits your career goals.

im sure that most of us have all felt that way. Being in your place in my career as well, ive been in your shoes many times. sometimes i rethink about whether to even rank places or not. but in the end when i think about it, depending on your college, residency may be just as hard or not much harder than your most difficult 6th year rotations. of course it depends on the residency, but that is what some people have told me.

also, dont forget that residency will in no way hurt you. it is always beneficial to learn more, and will make your job satisfaction much better and much easier. it's hard for anyone to do 6-8 years of college and graduate and still say that theyre not done. stay focused, and most importantly...dont forget that it's still at least an extra year! try to spend it at a place that will be worthwhile, or youll really regret it!