Re-applying to residency programs question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LM10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I graduated from pharmacy school in May 2018. I applied to 11 programs and did not get an interview. I'm working in a retail pharmacy in the meantime. I'm thinking of applying again for next year.
What are the chances of matching with a residency program in my case?
Are there any tips I need to do to increase my chances of matching with a residency program at this point? I really appreciate your answers.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure the stats show lower match numbers for people who have graduated and are 1+ year out. That’s not to say it’s impossible. I know someone who left retail after 6 years to do residency and matched.

You say you applied to 11 programs and didn’t match. I’d revisit your strategy for program selection and take a cold hard look at your application material like your personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure the stats show lower match numbers for people who have graduated and are 1+ year out. That’s not to say it’s impossible. I know someone who left retail after 6 years to do residency and matched.

You say you applied to 11 programs and didn’t match. I’d revisit your strategy for program selection and take a cold hard look at your application material like your personal statement.
Thanks for your response. Do you think it is important to go to mid year in my case?

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question regarding midyear, IMO, it is not required nor is it a "make or break". Banking on traveling all the way to California this year to have a potentially 5-10 min interaction per program, does not really increase your chances more than a "smidge". I would say if you were really committed to this, find local showcases in the area/surrounding states. The smaller showcases that lead up to midyear had much more of an impact and meaningful. Best of luck, anything is possible. Stay determined, keep building a quality CV.

Reactions: 1 users
To answer your question regarding midyear, IMO, it is not required nor is it a "make or break". Banking on traveling all the way to California this year to have a potentially 5-10 min interaction per program, does not really increase your chances more than a "smidge". I would say if you were really committed to this, find local showcases in the area/surrounding states. The smaller showcases that lead up to midyear had much more of an impact and meaningful. Best of luck, anything is possible. Stay determined, keep building a quality CV.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it

Don't be discouraged, I know of pharmacists who have worked 1-3 years of retail and who went back to apply to residencies and matched with top programs. I think your best bet is to also keep contact with your previous preceptors.

Its not impossible but statistically speaking, every year you wait to reapply for residency, your chances go down. Ive seen it happen where a rph does 2-4 years of retail and reapplies to residency and gets accepted but its alot harder then mentioned. Id try to get a job outside of retail in some small hospital, build inpatient experience, and get your BCPS.

I haven't been able to secure a job yet after graduating, should I even bother applying if I can't get new letters of rec?

I haven't been able to secure a job yet after graduating, should I even bother applying if I can't get new letters of rec?
You should focus on getting a job. If you’re not even job material, then there’s no way you’re residency material.

Reactions: 1 user
You should focus on getting a job. If you’re not even job material, then there’s no way you’re residency material.

I’ve seen people go the wrong route and apply to all the wrong programs. Read: 3-3.3 students with average extracurriculars and not much else going on apply to top notch programs get rejected.

Sometimes, it’s the way you describe. Sometimes, it’s about applying at your level. I credit my success with the match process to one factor alone: I networked with the right people and that’s what I think got me the interview/match.