Regret dental school? Switching to med??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dont get me wrong. I respect dentists and dental schools are hard to get in as well. Thats why they are the second hardest.

This is actually a great way to cheekily but firmly demote something or someone to second place. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Dont get me wrong. I respect dentists and dental schools are hard to get in as well. Thats why they are the second hardest. People who fail to get into dental schools go to pharmacy schools. But when they try to be more than what they are, i kick their ass.

When they try to be more than they are you kick their ass? Really?

It's probably like that:

MD > DO ~ DDS/DMD > PA > DPM > OD > PharmD > PT/OT > AuD > DNP ;)

Actually it's:

Billionaire > Millionaire > 6 figure

or how about

Happy > trying to beat the Joanses

I've seen people in multiple fields make shi.t tons of cash and/or have incredibly fulfilling lives. No one really cares about the title unless you are not really making anything and/or unhappy.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Also - I think you upset the balance in the universe by turning down acceptances to Columbia and Penn.)

The ivy status is legitimate to those in undergrad, medicine, law, or business. People in one of these fields do not want to associate themselves with those outside of these fields.
Columbia has school of general studies and this is pretty much the same thing as community college.

Therefore going to ivy dental schools doesnt give me the legit ivy status and non ivy dental people would consistently try to make themselves equal to ivy dent grads. And kicking their ass would be difficult as an ivy dent grad

Imagining myself listening to people who went to low tier dental school like nyu dental claiming that they are just as good as Columbia dent grads, i would be miserable.

The ivy status is legitimate to those in undergrad, medicine, law, or business. People in one of these fields do not want to associate themselves with those outside of these fields.
Columbia has school of general studies and this is pretty much the same thing as community college.

Therefore going to ivy dental schools doesnt give me the legit ivy status and non ivy dental people would consistently try to make themselves equal to ivy dent grads. And kicking their ass would be difficult as an ivy dent grad

Imagining myself listening to low tier dental school like nyu dental grads claiming that they are just as good as Columbia dent grads, i would be miserable.

It's my understanding that the advantage in attending top-tier dental schools is that one is almost guaranteed the ability to specialize.

It's my understanding that the advantage in attending top-tier dental schools is that one is almost guaranteed the ability to specialize.

Thats what i was thinking. However, after going to interviews in all 3 ivys, i learned that only harvard dental gets that advantage cause they have the true pass/fail and the dental board is also pass/fail.

Penn has ranking and grades. So not worth it.

Columbia has an internal ranking dividing students into 3 tiers: top, middle and bottom. This is why them bragging about their preclinical test average being higher than the average of colmbia med students is bull**** cause they need to work their butt off while columbia med kids would just enjoy true pass and fail and do research or study for boards.

I'm not denying that scholarship - good job. But again, a score on a test and deciding to pursue X over Y doesn't equate to some sort of human hierarchy. And just because you failed the MCAT twice before getting a good score on the DAT doesn't mean everyone else in the world had the same experience. I still contest your inability to break 30 after multiple attempts is just a personal failure. Physical 10, Bio 11, Verbal 15. I think my score makes sense when you consider I had another year and a half of school without any gen/org chemistry (the only sections below 24 on my DAT) before I took the DAT and I half-assed the preparation for it.

edit - oh, did you want me to actually submit a photo or screenshot of scores from over 2 years ago? I cba to do that lol I've got better things than to argue over something so pointless on SDN. I just wanted to say why your perspective is just the slightest bit disturbing, but then again, it takes all kinds! Good luck with school; I hope you're happy with where you are and wherever you end up in the future :thumbup:

If you cannot prove your scores, none of your claims is legitimate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you cannot prove your scores, none of your claims is legitimate. I would only see you a mediocre who barely got into a dental school after scoring like 20 on dat. And instead of accepting where you are, you are desperately trying to make dental students equal to medical students. My girl friend is kate upton btw i dont love her but she loves me. I unfortunately break her heart everyday.

And too bad. Even Your false claims on your mcat scores just lost strengths too. Your mcat science scores are lower than my worst scores on mcat. The only true part here is that you are a native speaker and I came to us at the age of 14 and started to learn english back then. but kudos to your imaginary self for scoring higher than me on the mcat overall. You could certainly free yourself from having the "Didnt Make Doctor" status in your dreams.

Your girlfriend is Kate upton? And didn't make doctor? Really?

Mods need to ban the troll.

I'd like to remind users in this thread that there is an ignore function that may be of value to you. Otherwise, please keep it civil.

Clear proof on why DAT reading section is called "Reading Comprehension" while MCAT reading section is called "Verbal Reasoning" :p

If it took you multiple attempts to get a 30 and you ended up in an MD school, then how competitive is med school really. I mean, cmon, anybody can break 30 after several attempts lol. In fact I think that's part of the reason they changed the MCAT. It was getting way too easy to score 35+.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it took you multiple attempts to get a 30 and you ended up in an MD school, then how competitive is med school really. I mean, cmon, anybody can break 30 after several attempts lol. In fact I think that's part of the reason they changed the MCAT. It was getting way too easy to score 35+.
Too easy to get a 35? You don't know wtf you're talking about. That's 90th percentile.

Lol DO is harder to get into than DDS/DMD but they're allowed to retake classes and their old grades are substituted? You could graduate with a 2.5 and just retake your classes to get into DO. It's also worth noting that the biology section of the DAT is more comprehensive than the MCAT's.

Last edited:
Too easy to get a 35? You don't know wtf you're talking about. That's 90th percentile.
I was trolling the troll. Chill bruh. But there is some truth to it, even understanding that it is a standardized test. So much prep material and practice questions made the test way more 'study-able' so the people that really want high scores can sort of game the system.

Lol DO is harder to get into than DDS/DMD but they're allowed to retake classes and their old grades are substituted? You could graduate with a 2.5 and just retake your classes to get into DO. It's also worth nothing that the biology section of the DAT is more comprehensive than the MCAT's.
Oh yeah, totally forgot about the grade replacement that DO admissions gives. Huge advantage right there, and it probably inflates the stats they publish regarding their class avg incoming GPA. And, I agree, DAT bio and ochem requires significantly more knowledge than MCAT BS section.

I was trolling the troll. Chill bruh. But there is some truth to it, even understanding that it is a standardized test. So much prep material and practice questions made the test way more 'study-able' so the people that really want high scores can sort of game the system.
You don't think most people who sit for the test want high score...

Last edited:

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the grade replacement that DO admissions gives. Huge advantage right there, and it probably inflates the stats they publish regarding their class avg incoming GPA. And, I agree, DAT bio and ochem requires significantly more knowledge than MCAT BS section.

Wait what. You can fail out of college and retake all the classes and the old grades go away and the new grades are the ones that count, for DO school?!?! How is this even fair ><

Since when is studying for a test gaming the system?

Since when is studying for a test gaming the system?

The people who have all the money and time get a bigger advantage on an exam where dozens of quality practice exams and tens of thousands of quality questions are available. Changing the test will level the playing field a bit.

Hello everyone!

I'm a Canadian student who just started dental school last month. All my life i've been changing my mind over med and dental & when i choose dentistry, it was my #1 and i was pretty sure. However, now that i started, i'm feeling less and less sure. Yes, i love what we are learning but i also find the mouth so.. small? Like i wish i could learn about all the other systems because the human body is freaking amazing. I love my more general class like anatomy and i find myself wishing i learn more about the diseases i read in my textbook for example (Moore's fault here...)

The thing i realized, also, is that med school leave you 4 years (well.. technically.. 3) to figure out what exactly you wanna do. In dental school, specialty are not that different and, if i would want to specialize in oral maxillo facial surgery (which is where my passion in dentistry is really since years) i would need a miracle here in Canada as they barely accept any students.

However, i know that, in the long term, dentistry will allow me a better lifestyle. But would that lifestyle be worth my regrets? What if i wake up at 45 and tell myself: "i should have become a XXXX". On the other hand, what if i get call in on Christmas Eve, still at 45 and think to myself: "i should have stay in dental school, that's not worth it.."

I mean, i know i can't be sure but ughhh. Now that i'm here, i feel that med school actually was maybe my #1 choice since forever but i just tried to convince myself that dentistry had it better so it was a smarter choice for my future family. I'm only 22 so yeah, the thought on being on call and working awful hours in residency doesn't scare me that much yet but that could change as i get older.

Anyway, this post is a mess but i need opinions or comments or even people telling me that i'm stupid and should shut up. Would starting med school after a year of dental school be reasonable? Is my feeling totally normal and will just go away? I feel so trapped with dentistry right now. :( (but at the same time, i probably only know the glamorous side of medecine. the specialty i would want now (ortho surg.) will probably change 10x time)

ps. yes i did shadow both professions. And in the province in live in, i don't need the MCAT so i could apply for next year.

tl;dr started dental school last month and now regretting my choice, thinking med school was maybe my 1 choice but at the same time, scared for future lifestyle and general ughhh about my situation.

OP, I think you should stick to dental school.

Last edited:
When you're a dentist as your own boss and you see all the doctors slaving away you'll thank yourself for making the right decision
images

Don't get me wrong, the golden age of medicine is long gone.

However, after a quick read over on the dental section. It does not seem like its all that it might have been in the past. By a long shot..

Moral of the story? Follow your gut. Because at the end of the day, if you enjoy a fair amount of the aspects of your job, you will enjoy your life.

my 0.02

When they try to be more than they are you kick their ass? Really?
What I don't get is if he thinks he's so much better than dentists, due to mind obsession with status, why he continues to post that picture of Ivy Leaugue folders on a desk from his DDS interviews.

What I don't get is if he thinks he's so much better than dentists, due to mind obsession with status, why he continues to post that picture of Ivy Leaugue folders on a desk from his DDS interviews.

It is because he is insecure that he cares so much about what other people think of him.