regional match stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i would like to know how is anesthesia at univ of Kansas medical center? they have unfilled positions too.?

This year UCSF interviewed about 100 applicants and ranked 50 to fill 25 spots. As of tuesday, they only matched 20 residents. Of those 20, only TWO were UCSF students.

As far as reserved spots for enlightened surgical residents, those spots have already been put aside. They are not part of the 25 matching positions.

Anyways, congrats to everyone who matched to their top choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker. First time poster.

I matched at U Michigan in the regular match and was wondering why it didn't initially fill in the match. I think the consensus is that Michigan is an EXCELLENT program, and contrary to a previous post, I don't think the PD or program is "corrupt." In fact, I think Tremper (Chair) and Sanford (PD) and the rest of the faculty and residents are amazing and talented anesthesiologists and I feel lucky to have matched here. Just wanted to know if there are any current Michigan residents or attendings that can shed some light on the matter. I know that Michigan eventually filled all 24 spots as I received the intern list yesterday.

Thanks! And congrats to all those that matched!

Do the programs email or call us? I am kinda clueless about whats the next best step in the process?

i got an email giving us our start date (June 18th seems soooo soon!) and letting us know they would be in touch with contracts, details, etc. they will probably be in touch soon....

i got an email yesterday with a whole stack of paperwork (including vacation requests... yikes) that has to be done. so much for the honeymoon :D

Long time lurker. First time poster.

I matched at U Michigan in the regular match and was wondering why it didn't initially fill in the match. I think the consensus is that Michigan is an EXCELLENT program, and contrary to a previous post, I don't think the PD or program is "corrupt." In fact, I think Tremper (Chair) and Sanford (PD) and the rest of the faculty and residents are amazing and talented anesthesiologists and I feel lucky to have matched here. Just wanted to know if there are any current Michigan residents or attendings that can shed some light on the matter. I know that Michigan eventually filled all 24 spots as I received the intern list yesterday.

I would be interested to hear anything about possible reasons why Michigan's program went unfilled as well since I am considering scheduling a fourth year away rotation there...

From what I heard from fellow applicants on the interview trail, people had the impression that the intern year at Michigan was on the hard side. That could have turned off some people.

i got an email giving us our start date (June 18th seems soooo soon!) and letting us know they would be in touch with contracts, details, etc. they will probably be in touch soon....

yikes!

I wouldn't be concerned about any unseen deficits in the training at Michigan--it's very well-rounded both clinically and didactically.

My guess is that they're interviewing solid applicants--applicants that are also interviewing at equally solid programs in perhaps more desirable parts of the country. Add to this competition for applicants the reality of having both a tough internship and a massive class to fill and it makes more sense that they would be unfilled.

I believe the there was shuffling between the advanced and categorical quotas so that it ended up being 8 (cat) + 14 (adv) with catagorical filling in the match.

The original quota on the NRMP website for UCSF was 10(Adv) +12(Cat) so I'm not sure why now the Adv position quota states 14? Anyone have any idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an intern at the Umich and I think its because their have now been 2 classes that have gone through the "clinical base year" internship and word has gotten around how brutal it is. I'm not going to lie, its a terrible terrible intern year and unless they remedy some of its faults they are going to lose a lot of good candidates because of it. In hindsight I would have not ranked this program. Their are many good programs out there in bigger more sophisticated cities that could have trained me. Ann Arbor blows.

Ann Arbor is a great city. It would be the perfect place to live if it was in Florida or Hawaii. The problem is that Midwest winters are brutal in general. You cannot find a better place in Spring, Summer, and Fall. Reguarding the intern year. I will quote my recent post:

"Passthegas must be having a bad month. I have had my share of bad months, however, now that the year is almost over I am very excitied to join the ranks of the CA1's. This place has the best overall package of any program I looked at. They have fantastic training, treat you very well CA1-CA3 years, and give you great job prospects when you graduate (the Michigan name goes a long way especially with the large number of alumni just about everywhere).

Intern year here is though and that is something that you have to consider when chosing a program. Sure I could have gone to a small private program that doesn't make you work more that 3 hours a day and has a board pass rate of 40% (obviously joking, I hope this doesn't exist), but I was interested in my future job prospects. Most importantly I wanted to be well trained. You will see everything here, that is the nature of a tertiary care center. As a CA1 -3 you will be treated like gold and you will not be overworked, but you will learn a ton. In these years you are treated much better than any other top programs that I looked at. Fortunately the intern year gets better every year. They are talking about getting rid of a month of call for next year and making some other small changes that will make a big difference.

Honestly, there were times during intern year when I felt similar to Passthegas, however, looking back now I am glad I came here. I would much rather have a crappy intern year and 3 nice anesthesia years than to have a cush intern year and 3 crappy anesthesia years. You decide what you want."

Ender

Honestly, there were times during intern year when I felt similar to Passthegas, however, looking back now I am glad I came here. I would much rather have a crappy intern year and 3 nice anesthesia years than to have a cush intern year and 3 crappy anesthesia years. You decide what you want."

Ender

How about a cush intern year and 3 nice anesthesia years?

How about a cush intern year and 3 nice anesthesia years?

This comes back to the same dilema. You can definately find programs like that, however the teaching commonly is poor to nonexistant, pass rates for boards are not very impressive, and then consider your job prospects after training (everyone will say that there graduates get jobs everywhere, look at the actual list, it will suprise you). More importantly, how well will you be trained? How prepared are you going to be when things go wrong in the OR? The more scenarios you see in your training the better you will be as an anesthesiologist. I have friends who LOVED the Michigan program, but wanted to avoid the intern year so they went somewhere else. They had heard that they would have 4 nice and easy years. They are all kicking themselves now and wish they had matched at Michigan. One even considered transfering. Also, that cush intern year turned out to be worse than ours (he is over 80 hrs every week).

Bottom line, it sucks to be an intern period. If you are looking for an easy ride, you are right, you would not fit here. The question you have to ask yourself is which anesthesiologist would you want taking care of you? Good luck finding your fit.

Ender

This comes back to the same dilema. You can definately find programs like that, however the teaching commonly is poor to nonexistant, pass rates for boards are not very impressive, and then consider your job prospects after training (everyone will say that there graduates get jobs everywhere, look at the actual list, it will suprise you). More importantly, how well will you be trained? How prepared are you going to be when things go wrong in the OR? The more scenarios you see in your training the better you will be as an anesthesiologist. I have friends who LOVED the Michigan program, but wanted to avoid the intern year so they went somewhere else. They had heard that they would have 4 nice and easy years. They are all kicking themselves now and wish they had matched at Michigan. One even considered transfering. Also, that cush intern year turned out to be worse than ours (he is over 80 hrs every week).

Bottom line, it sucks to be an intern period. If you are looking for an easy ride, you are right, you would not fit here. The question you have to ask yourself is which anesthesiologist would you want taking care of you? Good luck finding your fit.

Ender

Internships suck. Period. That's what they do. There are very very few easy intern years and if you have it too easy, you don't learn jack. Picking a program based on the ease of their intern year is not wise.

how about an anesthesiology focused and run cby with a well rounded experience, emphasis on teaching and getting the medicine surgery and critical care experience to make you a great anesthesiologist with minimal busy scut work?

Internships suck. Period. That's what they do. There are very very few easy intern years and if you have it too easy, you don't learn jack. Picking a program based on the ease of their intern year is not wise.

Why because they are full of RADIOLOGISTS??:eek::eek:

I had to put that in. A lot of the easy internships were full of radiologists who made it clear from day one that they would not be delivering babies.

how about an anesthesiology focused and run cby with a well rounded experience, emphasis on teaching and getting the medicine surgery and critical care experience to make you a great anesthesiologist with minimal busy scut work?

That is the theory... in a couple months you'll find out the reality.

Why because they are full of RADIOLOGISTS??:eek::eek:

I had to put that in. A lot of the easy internships were full of radiologists who made it clear from day one that they would not be delivering babies.

I'm all for a rigorous intern year, but put me in the category of interns who would prefer not to deliver babies. I don't have the gall to proclaim it at the beginning of the rotation, but I feel like I have no business delivering a baby when a fully competent, interested physician would do a better job. Ditto for cervical exams.