regional bias - possible advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyawk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that demonstrating obvious regional bias can hurt applicants in the match process for known reasons (this post isn't about that).

for those of us who want to stay in our chosen regions and have records that demonstrate a clear regional bias - could this ever be an advantage if an applicant is competitive? in other words, would a program be more likely to interview and rank competitive students if they will likely stay in that region/know that region and patient population well?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that demonstrating obvious regional bias can hurt applicants in the match process for known reasons (this post isn't about that).

for those of us who want to stay in our chosen regions and have records that demonstrate a clear regional bias - could this ever be an advantage if an applicant is competitive? in other words, would a program be more likely to interview and rank competitive students if they will likely stay in that region/know that region and patient population well?

thanks!

Yes

Reactions: 1 user
Well... most places will note a regional bias only if you make it obvious. I wouldn’t say in your personal statement “I will never ever leave NYC/SF/LA/Chi until I die” for example. Also if you want to go to a big metro area... and WANT to reflect a regional bias ... well everyone else also wants to go there so I’m not certain it makes a huge difference. But who knows

Also it depends on how competitive your specialty is. For cardiology fellowship I applied to a large geographic area though I ended up staying at my own institution. I got interviews everywhere - they know that you are going to apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn't matter but it does.
It's lame.

definitely does. Some of my friends applying to a competitive speciality told me they didn't get any interview invites from the west because they didn't do aways in the west coast. I am sure it applies the other way round too. You will get more interviews from the region you are interested in if you do aways there and get letters of rec from people there