Regional Bias and hometown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueRenegade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to schools in the NE (grew up there) and trying to figure out ways to show that I have ties to the NE because currently I live in a different geographic region. Aside from putting my NE hometown in my ERAS, are there other ways to demonstrate ties? Is hometown enough to establish a strong enough tie?

Members don't see this ad.

Mention it in your PS. Maybe do an audition rotation there too

Mention it in your PS. Maybe do an audition rotation there too

Unfortunately most aways are cancelled I believe. Also, I am trying to find a way to put it in my PS but it disrupts the ending I had in mind for the PS

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to schools in the NE (grew up there) and trying to figure out ways to show that I have ties to the NE because currently I live in a different geographic region. Aside from putting my NE hometown in my ERAS, are there other ways to demonstrate ties? Is hometown enough to establish a strong enough tie?
If you have an SO who lives there, or will be taking a job there, that can help.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have an SO who lives there, or will be taking a job there, that can help.
Unfortunately i have neither. All I have atm is that it is my hometown is located and where i grew up, and that I have a family member moving to that region for a job soon.

Your hometown could be a part of your answer to the prompt about "why this school" or "what connection do you have to xyz state". As in, "I grew up in Hometown, and loved these things (be specific) about the area, and I'd really like to return here for school".

Your hometown could be a part of your answer to the prompt about "why this school" or "what connection do you have to xyz state". As in, "I grew up in Hometown, and loved these things (be specific) about the area, and I'd really like to return here for school".
Oh I didn't know they have prompts? Is there a place in ERAS for that? Or did you mean during the interview?

If there's a NE program you're interested in but don't hear back from once they send invites, you can mention your NE connections in an email to the PD (along with other stuff about why you're interested in the program)

Reactions: 1 users
If there's a NE program you're interested in but don't hear back from once they send invites, you can mention your NE connections in an email to the PD (along with other stuff about why you're interested in the program)
That makes sense! Thank you!

Whatever essays you have to write.

I am trying to add it to the PS, but I feel it kinda blunts in the impact of my closing statements, I really liked how my PS ended. I am not sure how to incorporate it in smoothly

I am trying to add it to the PS, but I feel it kinda blunts in the impact of my closing statements, I really liked how my PS ended. I am not sure how to incorporate it in smoothly
You save it for the secondaries, which have specific prompts as to "why our school?"

Members don't see this ad :)
You save it for the secondaries, which have specific prompts as to "why our school?"
I didnt have a single secondary. Theyre really not a thing. (Youre in the MD forums, not premed lol)

If anything, message programs letting them know this. LOIs actually helped me get interviews.

If anything, message programs letting them know this. LOIs actually helped me get interviews.
Oh gotcha thanks! Yeah I guess I should prepare some LOIs then. Is there a certain time I should send them out? Or should I wait after a batch of interviews have gone out?

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought there were no secondaries in IM apps?
Wait a minute. Your avatar says pre-med, but you're talking about applying to residencies? You mentioned ERAS in your OP, but stated also that you were applying to schools?

I'm a bit lost here, my apologies.

Oh gotcha thanks! Yeah I guess I should prepare some LOIs then. Is there a certain time I should send them out? Or should I wait after a batch of interviews have gone out?
I dont think you have wait. Some programs could like your overall app and be weary on location. Telling them early on shouldn’t be an issue. At least i dont think so

Wait a minute. Your avatar says pre-med, but you're talking about applying to residencies? You mentioned ERAS in your OP, but stated also that you were applying to schools?

I'm a bit lost here, my apologies.

Oh no worries! Im an M4 applying this cycle. I just found my SDN profile after like 5 years of not using it, the last time I used it I was a premed! I'll update my flair to prevent further confusion

EDIT: how do I change my status XD it won't let me change it in my profile page

I dont think you have wait. Some programs could like your overall app and be weary on location. Telling them early on shouldn’t be an issue. At least i dont think so
Thank you. That's helpful, I'll prepare some in advance!

I would hit them soon after they start sending out interview invites (or as soon as a good amount of other programs start sending invites). If you send a LOI too early, you risk looking impatient, but if you send it too late you risk missing out on open interview spots.

I would hit them soon after they start sending out interview invites (or as soon as a good amount of other programs start sending invites). If you send a LOI too early, you risk looking impatient, but if you send it too late you risk missing out on open interview spots.
Some programs send out like all their IV’s at once though. Like the program i matched into

would like to bump this because I would like to know when a good time to send LOIs would be

LOIs are treated as lies by Admissions deans; the only schools you should send them to are those that like to see candidates grovel, or are needy (Mayo, U Penn, Gtown).
Not so true for residency. I sent an LOI that resulted in an interview to a program