Reference (PT vs. Academic)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJHUSKERS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I talked to one of the admissions councilors at a school I am interested in for my DPT and she really talked highly about the references from PT's and how they don't want academic references. I was kind of disappointed to hear that because I have good academic references as of right now. Is this pretty common among school....a physical therapist reference is superior to a professor reference?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I talked to one of the admissions councilors at a school I am interested in for my DPT and she really talked highly about the references from PT's and how they don't want academic references. I was kind of disappointed to hear that because I have good academic references as of right now. Is this pretty common among school....a physical therapist reference is superior to a professor reference?

Most schools require at least 2 pt references..they like to hear what a professional in the field you want to go into has to say about you and their impression of you. Everyone can get a good academic letter! That is what i have been told anyway, it is very common though!:)

Good rec letters are just the icing on the cake. Worry more about your GPA and the grades of your basic prerequisite sciences. My references were from a professor, employer, and PT, and if you have good academic references, i'm positive you have really nothing to worry about.

I got all my references from PTs in the field because my school's supplied forms made no sense if I was to give it to someone in academia. It asked questions like, "does the student seem interested in patients?" ....something an academic would not know how to answer. Plus, I think they would rather hear the opinions from someone who is actually in the field versus some random chemistry teacher that knowns nothing of physical therapy.