Recruiter experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayeball

Reaction score
I'm retina, set to graduate this year. I'm looking for a true partnership track position (aren't we all), and I'm basically willing to go anywhere for the right fit (normal partner/s, high volume but ethical). My main fear is being misled, churned/burned in some way, and wasting two years of my life.

What are people's experiences with recruiters? Taking a step back, the practice is the recruiter's customer, and the job applicant is the product. There is also the perverse incentive in place for recruiters such that turnover is in their financial interest.

That said, aside from those incentive structure issues, for a fellow without much knowledge about how to find a job, working with a recruiter has a lot of appeal. They represent a lot of practices with open positions, and they have a good deal of knowledge about the current job market.

I was wondering if anyone on here had ever used a recruiter, and what your experience was, either good or bad. I'm particularly interested in hearing about things to watch out for. And if you have any negative (or positive) experiences with a particular recruiter, but do not feel comfortable posting publicly, please feel free to PM me (even from a new account), even if you want to keep details very minimal.

I realize that the people doing the churning/burning are the practice owners themselves, and that these are a minority of practices. So most often, people will likely be happy with their recruiter. The real issue is to what extent do recruiters look the other way and place people in those practices that they know to churn/burn associates/be toxic in some aspect.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I realize that the people doing the churning/burning are the practice owners themselves, and that these are a minority of practices. So most often, people will likely be happy with their recruiter. The real issue is to what extent do recruiters look the other way and place people in those practices that they know to churn/burn associates/be toxic in some aspect.
Recruiters will recruit.

Reactions: 1 user
It may just be my own experience. The job posted by recruiters tend to be bad ones.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW, I used a recruiter. I am very happy and now a partner at my practice. It can be tough to recruit outside major cities.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm going to start my search by reaching out to individual practices in states that I like. Any future advice is also welcome.