Recommended Clinical & Volunteer Experience for Premed Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kailey18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am from the Philippines and earned my bachelor's degree from one of our top local universities. I am interested in applying for premed postbac for fall 2017 and would like to start working on the required experiences asap. I was just wondering do any of you know what is the recommended number of hours and frequency for clinical/medical experience, volunteer experience and research if I'm aiming to get in top premed postbac programs such as those those in Columbia, Johns Hopkins, UCSF, Bryn Mawr, Upenn, Fordham and Harvard Extension?

Currently, I've taken a leave from my day job to shadow an orthopedic surgeon for 8 hours a day and 5-6 times a week; and have been doing this for a month now. I'm aware that shadowing is not looked highly upon by admissions for postbac, though I still went ahead with it mostly for exploratory reasons. And now things are beginning to pick up and this surgeon I'm shadowing is beginning to give me tasks so that I can more proactively participate in patient care vs. just purely shadowing -- I've began assisting PTs with gait training, for example and assisting the surgeon at times in the clinic with various tasks from simple things like helping lift a patient's leg as he puts a cast/bandage, preparation of materials for PRP, HA procedures, to assisting with minor tasks at the OR! Given that medical scribing is not common in my country (Philippines) and opportunities like these where I am able to do some tasks aside from just shadowing are rare, should I continue with this type of 'shadowing with a task' with this surgeon to fulfill clinical/medical experience for applications? Is it a good choice for clinical experience that will make me a competitive applicant? Which brings me back to my initial question, how long should I be doing this, 6 months, 1 year, etc.? Plus, I know that admissions like seeing commitment from these experiences.

For my volunteer experience, I'm looking into a local foundation that gives psychosocial support to kids with cancer & other chronic illnesses. Additionally, I'm also thinking of going for Medical Sans Frontieres' (MSF) summer internship where I'll be doing marketing/medical editorial work. Would it suffice to volunteer once a week but for 6-7 months for the local foundation before I have to submit my applications?

Postbac Premed programs are a very rare thing that not a lot or no one I know so far from my country has ventured out to do that's why I'm having a difficult time connecting with people who can mentor me on this!

Would really appreciate any feedback or additional tips/recommendations! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.