Recommendations for MPH application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flowergirl1234

Reaction score
I am interested in applying for MPH graduate school for Fall 2019. A lot of the applications are due by December 2018 though. I would like to get letters of recommendations from my current boss/supervisor. However, I am nervous about approaching him to ask for it because then they will know I am considering leaving, even though I would continue working here until summer 2019 before the school year started, so that's almost another full year. Also, what if for some reason my plans changed in the future or I didn't get into the schools I wanted and I ended up wanting to stay at my current job... I am looking for advice about how to do this please?! THANK YOU :)

Members don't see this ad.

My recommendation is to get letters of recommendation from other people, in your case. If you're not convinced that you'll be leaving your job next summer, and also not convinced about your job security if your boss finds out or you your plans change, it's probably not worth taking the risk of getting letters from your current employer. I'd say get them from previous employers, professors, and mentors/supervisors outside of work.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for your response! That does seem like an easier option. However, I think my current boss(es) are pretty established in the field so I feel like their recommendation would be valuable. I do think they would be understanding about me wanting to take on graduate school since almost everyone in this field has a higher degree. I just am not quite sure the best way to go about it... Thanks for you help though!

Maybe ask to have a general conversation with them about your future/next steps in the company/career growth. If your work is related to the field, then I'm sure furthering your education will come up. You could gauge their reactions, wait a bit, and then be like "After reflecting on our conversation in July, I decided to send applications to MPH programs for Fall 2019 admissions. I am committed to continuing to work at X and am interested in participating fully in all the projects leading up until my future program's start date. Given this, I was wondering if you would support my application by writing a recommendation letter." Or however it makes sense to phrase it.

Last edited: