Recommendation Forms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutiepie83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever gotten 'TOP 5%' in all categories of their forms (to those whose referees showed them the forms)

By categories, I mean 'basic intellectual ability, knowledge, originality, ability to communicate orally,etc.'

How about TOP 10%?

What is a good recommendation form? does it mean that the student should get top5% in all categories? or can it be top 10%? or upper 25%?

I need a general idea of what makes a good recommendation form, as I've received mine with all top 10%.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi cutiepie,

You really probably don't need to worry about this! Unless you're some kind of superstar, or on the flip side, if there's a comment that suggests some serious character flaw, most admissions committees won't care too much about the check-boxes. Top 10% is almost certainly just great. (I heard from one admissions committee member who basically said that since nearly everyone has glowing letters, the major function is to see if you can follow directions and get three letters in... I think this particular prof is more cynical than most, but there's probably some truth to it.)

Also, word on the street is that admissions committees tend to take more seriously letters that the applicant has waived his/her right to see, so if you have any more letters you need written, you might want to consider that option. I don't think waiving/not waiving will really matter too much; my impression is that unless you fall into one of the categories described above or there's some really important part of your character/academics/life story that can only be captured in a letter of recommendation, the admissions committees give much more weight to your personal statements, your experience, and your transcripts.

Take a deep breath - your letters will be fine!

Thanks namazu,

I guess I'm just worried that my marks and numbers wont cut it, thats all.

Just for personal curiosity, what does 'in what capacity do you know a student' mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
namazu said:
...admissions committees tend to take more seriously letters that the applicant has waived his/her right to see, so if you have any more letters you need written, you might want to consider that option...the admissions committees give much more weight to your personal statements, your experience, and your transcripts.
Seriously...waive your right to see the forms, and make sure the Letter writers think you are awesome. anyhow, nobody agrees to write you a recco unless they can honestly say you are in their "Top 10%" atleast (if not, don't ask them to write you letters!! :p )

The "capacity" the letter writers know you is as an Instructor / Academic Advisor / Supervisor / Senior Colleague etc etc depending on how you know them.

so, is this the last bit of the app process? how difficult was it to write your Personal Statement?....and where are you applying, finally?! :D

Good Luck! :luck:

cutiepie83 said:
Thanks namazu,
I guess I'm just worried that my marks and numbers wont cut it, thats all.

Just for personal curiosity, what does 'in what capacity do you know a student' mean?

Yeah, it's a stressful time. I've been there. I understand!

That question ("In what capacity...") just asks how the letter-writer knows the student: was the person your instructor, lab director, work supervisor, mentor, next-door neighbor...and how familiar is the writer with you personally?

Hope this helps!

Stressful is an understatement! :( well at least for me it is.

I'm just yearning for the day those brown envelopes leave my sight and the letters (the big ones ofcourse) start mailing in. :oops: