Reckless driving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedWanderer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Panicked was going 66/45(didn't see speed limit change on a Virginia road) qualities as reckless driving. Clean record until now and I'm a 3rd year medical student. From what I'm reading online it can be appealed and reduced to an improper driving or speeding ticket but I'm unsure about what to do right now (outside of contacting lawyers). Do I immediately tell my school, will this kill my eras app (if it does get reduced).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to a lawyer
This times 10,000,000. Get a lawyer now and get the charges reduced to something less inflammatory. This happened to me 35 years ago in a speed trap.

Reactions: 1 users
Most of the lawyers here seem to be closed on weekends. I'm going to contact one first thing. Do I tell my school? I'm freaked out right now about everything.

Relax. If officer gave you ticket which cant be paid. Only need to go to court then it is reckless. If it can be paid. Its speeding. So check first if you are allowed to pay it online. If not allowed, then it indeed is reckless. Misdeameanor if you plead guilty on your record. Still not a huge big deal. But not good. I have been there. Done that. Got reckless. Went to court. Without lawyer. Directly spoke to judge while pleading guilty that this is my first ever ticket. Please show liniency. judge gave me improper driving. No damage Done. No reckless on record. I will recommend getting lawyer. Speak to school counselor. Understand even if it indeed is reckless. you are not guilty yet. Till your court date.

Reactions: 2 users
Most of the lawyers here seem to be closed on weekends. I'm going to contact one first thing. Do I tell my school? I'm freaked out right now about everything.
For this part of the question there is likely something in your school handbook that lays out what you do and don’t need to report to your school. Read the handbook and do what it says.

Keep in mind that your school is invested in optimizing it’s match list, which also means helping you and advocating on your behalf. I don’t expect they would do anything punitive, and they may have some useful advice.

Finally, relax. Even the worst case scenario here (misdemeanor reckless driving) is not too bad. People understand that is more or less a trumped up speeding ticket.

For this part of the question there is likely something in your school handbook that lays out what you do and don’t need to report to your school. Read the handbook and do what it says.

Keep in mind that your school is invested in optimizing it’s match list, which also means helping you and advocating on your behalf. I don’t expect they would do anything punitive, and they may have some useful advice.

Finally, relax. Even the worst case scenario here (misdemeanor reckless driving) is not too bad. People understand that is more or less a trumped up speeding ticket.
Thank you. I'm going to wait until I get a call back from a lawyer and talk to my academic advisor about this after. For now I can't do anything other than learn and not repeat my mistakes. As a side note congrats on wemby!

Reactions: 1 user
Relax. If officer gave you ticket which cant be paid. Only need to go to court then it is reckless. If it can be paid. Its speeding. So check first if you are allowed to pay it online. If not allowed, then it indeed is reckless. Misdeameanor if you plead guilty on your record. Still not a huge big deal. But not good. I have been there. Done that. Got reckless. Went to court. Without lawyer. Directly spoke to judge while pleading guilty that this is my first ever ticket. Please show liniency. judge gave me improper driving. No damage Done. No reckless on record. I will recommend getting lawyer. Speak to school counselor. Understand even if it indeed is reckless. you are not guilty yet. Till your court date.
This post above may not be sound advice. These laws and procedures vary from state to state. (I happen to be afflicted with a legal education.) See a lawyer who is experienced in traffic issues and licensed in the state where the citation was issued. Yes, this is going to cost you a $grand but you want to get this cleaned up professionally.

This post above may not be sound advice. These laws and procedures vary from state to state. (I happen to be afflicted with a legal education.) See a lawyer who is experienced in traffic issues and licensed in the state where the citation was issued. Yes, this is going to cost you a $grand but you want to get this cleaned up professionally.
Definitely getting a traffic lawyer in Virginia even if it costs a grand. I'm just hoping that if it gets reduced to a speeding ticket it doesn't affect my ability to apply for IM/anaesthesia residencies or my medical school standing (can't find any information about this on student manuals)

. Understand even if it indeed is reckless. you are not guilty yet. Till your court date.
To expound on the post above, this part in particular as it relates to being a medical professional is likely incorrect. ERAS asks about misdemeanor/felony convictions, but ALSO “anything that might impact your ability to get licensed/credentialed.” Many programs have a rule about providing notice about any pending charges. So within the medical profession, “innocent until proven guilty” usually doesn’t apply.

Again… it is unlikely that this specific offense would cause any problems. But it’s also a situation where a cover up would look worse than just disclosing the offense in the first place. All things to consider down the road, if a lawyer isn’t able to get this knocked down in the first place, which would clearly be the ideal scenario.

To expound on the post above, this part in particular as it relates to being a medical professional is likely incorrect. ERAS asks about misdemeanor/felony convictions, but ALSO “anything that might impact your ability to get licensed/credentialed.” Many programs have a rule about providing notice about any pending charges. So within the medical profession, “innocent until proven guilty” usually doesn’t apply.

Again… it is unlikely that this specific offense would cause any problems. But it’s also a situation where a cover up would look worse than just disclosing the offense in the first place. All things to consider down the road, if a lawyer isn’t able to get this knocked down in the first place, which would clearly be the ideal scenario.
In the scenario where this charge gets reduced to a traffic violation, should I disclose it as a traffic violation or as a misdemeanor for speeding reduced to a traffic violation (and would they tank my eras app). In the end I just want to be able to work with patients and hope that this doesn't disqualify me from doing so. Sorry for all the questions I appreciate the help.

In the scenario where this charge gets reduced to a traffic violation, should I disclose it as a traffic violation or as a misdemeanor for speeding reduced to a traffic violation (and would they tank my eras app). In the end I just want to be able to work with patients and hope that this doesn't disqualify me from doing so. Sorry for all the questions I appreciate the help.
If it’s a traffic violation I don’t think you have to disclose anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Traffic violations aren't usually viewed as severe by schools unless you had a DUI or injured someone in a car crash. See what you can do but don't stress too much, imo medical schools act way too uptight on everything for the sake of image that it can feel suffocating. Remember that even though you are a student you are not a 100% perfect robot and they need to accept that.

Are you not able to pay this out of court? I had this exact same scenario happen (in Virginia, no less), and I was able to pay out of court and it didn’t show up on my background check for audition rotations.

Are you not able to pay this out of court? I had this exact same scenario happen (in Virginia, no less), and I was able to pay out of court and it didn’t show up on my background check for audition rotations.
I'll be calling the court tomorrow to see what's up. I'm feeling a lot less panicked now will just be working on getting this resolved and learning from my mistakes

But would a reckless speeding charge really impact ability to get credentialed anywhere

No. Which is why the hyperventilating on this thread has been so interesting.
I'm really sorry just got freaked out because I did some internet doomscrolling. Lot more calm now and just ready to handle it and learn.

Get a lawyer. You might be able to get this busted down to a speeding ticket. If you can't, it's going to be a minor ding on your application, if that. What you have is a trumped up speeding ticket.

I got one of these in Virginia during medical school. I went to the hearing and the judge reduced it down to the amount above that would take it out of misdemeanor status. I paid the few hundred bucks and moved on. Hopefully something similar can happen to you.

I think it speaks more to Virginia handing out trumped up speeding tickets to make money.

Traffic violations aren't usually viewed as severe by schools unless you had a DUI or injured someone in a car crash. See what you can do but don't stress too much, imo medical schools act way too uptight on everything for the sake of image that it can feel suffocating. Remember that even though you are a student you are not a 100% perfect robot and they need to accept that.
Unfortunately, in the pissant drive-through state of Virginia, "reckless" speeding is a felony. I've seen people go to jail for going 15 over on the interstate.

I think it speaks more to Virginia handing out trumped up speeding tickets to make money.

Bingo.

Unfortunately, in the pissant drive-through state of Virginia, "reckless" speeding is a felony. I've seen people go to jail for going 15 over on the interstate.

Bingo.
That is absolutely ridiculous

Update judge dismissed the case. If anyone else has this experience in VA, please get a lawyer, makes it a lot easier.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
The funny thing is, I read the thread title, and immediately thought “oh this must be in Virginia.”

They’re just notoriously draconian about speeding. Anybody who has this issue is best served getting a lawyer and trying to get it plead down. Definitely not speaking from experience here! Lol.

OP I’m glad that things worked out for you. Best of luck and go easy on the leadfoot.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations! :)

Is it ok to ask on what grounds it was dismissed?
My speedometer was miscalibrated (5 mph difference) which is crazy because it's a newer car. That and clean driving record I believe was enough for the judge to dismiss it.

My speedometer was miscalibrated (5 mph difference) which is crazy because it's a newer car. That and clean driving record I believe was enough for the judge to dismiss it.
Ah, cool! How does that work? Do you get some sort of mechanic's report or something? I assume you can't just claim it on your own word, because then everybody could just get away with it, heh. :)

Ah, cool! How does that work? Do you get some sort of mechanic's report or something? I assume you can't just claim it on your own word, because then everybody could just get away with it, heh. :)
Yeah so usually if you get charged with something like this your lawyer will tell you a place where they can check and verify that the speedometer is calibrated (or you can search it up). Go with your ticket and they'll handle the calibration and give a signed verification of if the speedometer was miscalibrated.

Yeah so usually if you get charged with something like this your lawyer will tell you a place where they can check and verify that the speedometer is calibrated (or you can search it up). Go with your ticket and they'll handle the calibration and give a signed verification of if the speedometer was miscalibrated.
Are these wink wink nod nod places

Are these wink wink nod nod places
I don't think so? They actually tested my car and showed me the miscalibration. My lawyer told me to expect that my car wouldn't be miscalibrated given it's not very old.

Very useful information, thanks!

So I guess one has to be lucky enough to have a miscalibrated speedometer (or the "luck" to have it become miscalibrated afterwards...) to get a ticket dismissed. :)

Update judge dismissed the case. If anyone else has this experience in VA, please get a lawyer, makes it a lot easier.
How much did it cost?
I know someone in Virginia who got their reckless driving charge dismissed for a $900 lawyer…

Again, only a felony if you were driving without a license or killed someone.
Ah, I missed that earlier post of yours. Sorry about that, and thanks for reposting the information! :)

Less urgent, then, though I'd say it's worth a fair amount to avoid a misdemeanor as well. Having to check yes for a misdemeanor question is not fun either.

Ah, I missed that earlier post of yours. Sorry about that, and thanks for reposting the information! :)

Less urgent, then, though I'd say it's worth a fair amount to avoid a misdemeanor as well. Having to check yes for a misdemeanor question is not fun either.

You can also get your license suspended or pay fines >1000 dollars.

I mean, thats not definite but do you want to take the risk?

I also agree that a lawyer is the best decision here, just wondering how much it costed them

Since I said I thought it was a good idea to get a lawyer, then no, I don't think he should take unnecessary risks. :)

How much did it cost?
I know someone in Virginia who got their reckless driving charge dismissed for a $900 lawyer…

When you get a reckless driving charge you start getting mail from lawyers, choose the cheapest and go with it. I was panicking and paid the first lawyer that sent me a letter $350 for a reckless driving (82 in a 70, classified as reckless because it was over 80) which was reduced to a non moving violation.

A few months to a year later my mom got the same charge (should have warned her oops) and got a letter from a lawyer charging $100, also reduced to a non moving violation.

VA state troopers keep traffic lawyers flush with $$$ it’s such a scam