MD Applying to residency with a sealed reckless driving charge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calitechmed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"At the beginning of medical school, I was arrested for DUI"

I'd probably consult a lawyer before applying to the match and definitely before starting your residency because all programs will do a criminal background check on you before you start. Not sure if a "sealed" conviction will even show up on a background check? I think at the very least, a potential employer is not allowed to ask you about the conviction, even if it shows up on their background check.

Reckless driving is a misdemeanor in every state so you don't have much to worry about. Overall, residency programs worry about crimes that involve "moral turpitude" such as assault, spousal abuse, theft, fraud and sexual deviancy. They need to know that you will be safe around people and not betray the trust and responsibility that you will be given. You just made a stupid decision one night but you paid your debt to society and made vast improvement since then. Residency directors like to give second chances to people who deserve it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd probably consult a lawyer before applying to the match and definitely before starting your residency because all programs will do a criminal background check on you before you start. Not sure if a "sealed" conviction will even show up on a background check? I think at the very least, a potential employer is not allowed to ask you about the conviction, even if it shows up on their background check.

Reckless driving is a misdemeanor in every state so you don't have much to worry about. Overall, residency programs worry about crimes that involve "moral turpitude" such as assault, spousal abuse, theft, fraud and sexual deviancy. They need to know that you will be safe around people and not betray the trust and responsibility that you will be given. You just made a stupid decision one night but you paid your debt to society and made vast improvement since then. Residency directors like to give second chances to people who deserve it.

Thank you for the wonderful guidance!

Reactions: 1 user