Reckless Driving Conviction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

30PingTheDream

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends. I’m currently an OMS-1 in Virginia. I’m originally from New Jersey and I got pulled over going 93 in a 65 back in December. While I understand this is fast and before anyone crucifies me, this was on an empty highway around 12 am when coming back from the library night before an exam and practical in the morning. This was my first offense and I completed the 12 hour driving programs Virginia offers. Prior to this, I really had no idea how strict Virginia was. I had my speedometer calibrated and hired a lawyer. I had also made certain to drive properly since in the incident. Today was my court hearing and they upheld the charge and I was ordered to pay a fine. Other more severe consequences could have been a suspended license and jail time. Though a fine is preferable to the other two, this is still considered a criminal misdemeanor. How screwed am I when it comes time for rotations, residency programs, or even licensure? I do feel a little hopeless that despite my academic efforts and success, this may ultimately bar me from the next steps following medical school. Thank you in advance and I appreciate the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
you could have killed someone. a highway is empty until it isnt.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a non issue. I had a ticket for going 15 over in a state where that was considered a misdemeanor as well right before onboarding and background check for residency, and it never came up. If you’re asked about it later in an interview, just be honest, but you’re not going to be the first nor the last to have such conviction, and it should not be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about rotations unless your school is somehow notified of the conviction and then it's up to their bylaws how they handle that situation. It's probably best not to bring it up with any administrators on your own accord. I would be a little concerned about residency since every program will do a standard background check on you and it will pop up. It gets even more complicated if you apply to a very competitive residency and it comes down to you and a bunch of other equally-qualified people who have a squeaky clean record. As far as getting a state medical license, it shouldnt be a problem but there is a chance the medical board will want you to meet with them to discuss it before they approve your license application. The best thing you can do is be totally upfront and honest about it, because NOBODY on any discplinary board or hiring committee enjoys being lied to and deceived by an applicant. That is the fastest way to get kicked out of school or denied an employment opportunity. And of course, don't commit any more misdemeanors or felonies! You might also want to keep in touch with your lawyer about trying to get the conviction expunged or sealed between now and graduation, and that will prevent it from showing up on the background check for residency or other job applications.

nobody will care.

basically - you were SPEEDING. Yes - i realize that this is technically a misdemeanor. Acknowledge it if specifically asked.

I don’t know what the above poster is talking about, but I can damn near guarantee you that the medical board is not gonna call you into a meeting about your 93 in a 65.

just my 2c

Reactions: 1 user