Medical Reckless Driving (considered misdemeanor in my state) - how much would it affect my future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Thank you for answering my question in advance.
Here is my story: I was recently pulled over (in March 2021) for reckless driving in my state (VA) in the early morning where there was no car around (I have a clean record, and in this incident, there was no accident/no DUI, just plain excessive speeding), and it was an honest mistake--I had no idea I was going at the speed I was going at and complied with/apologized to the trooper who pulled me over who gave me a ticket for reckless driving which is considered a misdemeanor in VA. After going to the court few days ago, they decided to continue the case in early July after I complete a driver's improvement course and community service hours. My lawyer and the prosecutor/trooper came to a consensus that after the completion of the course/community service, my case will be reduced to a normal speeding case.

My first question is when should I report this to the school I was accepted at/schools I have been WL'd at? I want to be as transparent/honest as possible, but was not sure if I should disclose it now or disclose it after the judge gives a decision on my case.

My second question is how much will this affect my future? Would I have my acceptance rescinded because of this? Would this impact my residency matching/employment after residency as well? Has there been a case similar to mine previously, and if so, what was the outcome for them?
I would just disclose now. Better that it comes from you than from some other source, and I think when you explain it here it comes across favorably. Probably would only bother telling places where you're accepted but not WLs

Anything is theoretically possible, but I would be surprised if anyone would rescind your acceptance over this, and if it's reduced to a regular speeding ticket I can't imagine it will impact your future going forward.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you are upfront with this and honest, I think you should be ok especially if it is reduced to normal speed. If it comes out in a background check or something, then you may not be in good of shape.

Update: I called the lawyer for clarification on some confusion I had and he told me a few things that I personally thought was relieving:
  • The school I was accepted into asks for any convictions for misdemeanor/felony or impending criminal charges that I may have on my secondary application under criminal background questions. It also asks to make sure I notify them if those above change throughout the application cycle. I mentioned this to my lawyer, and he said I have not been convicted (and won't be, because they agreed to reduce my case to a regular speeding case) and that my case is not criminal but rather a traffic case. Hence, he says I actually don't have to notify the school of this.
Does this information change your suggestion to let the school know? Because of the label "misdemeanor", I thought I had to let the school know but looks like because it isn't even a criminal case (my lawyer says it's a traffic case, a traffic misdemeanor rather than a criminal misdemeanor) and I'm not amending changes to the criminal background questions for my school, I don't have to notify the school.
Listen to your lawyer. If you don't have to disclose, don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.