Reasonable approach to Rad Onc for someone who loves field but is aware of job market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cremaster reflex

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

M3 here with great board scores, publications, clinical grades etc. who cannot decide on a specialty and hasn't really liked much of anything I have done and keeps circling back to Rad Onc.

I understand the job market is **** and probably only going to get worse. Would it be a reasonable approach to pursue Rad Onc now with the intention of taking a job in the middle of no where and getting paid great $$? I have seen people throw around figures of $650k+ for jobs in rural areas ( is this accurate? will these jobs still exist when/if I would finish residency in 7 yrs?), I don't want to live in one of these places long term but I could see myself living in one of these places for ~5 years and investing enough money to:
1. Get close to retiring
2. Go back and get a MPH or MBA and some lower paying work but with a good schedule
3. Find a very low paying ($100-200k) Rad Onc job in a desirable location with great hours
4. Do something entirely different from medicine that I enjoy (i.e. personal training, opening up a gym, etc.)

Excuse my ignorance but is that a realistic approach for someone like me? I cannot decide what I want to do with my life and have not really found any other field to be acceptable to me for either lack of meaningful/interesting work to me, or terrible schedule etc. and this is the one way I could potentially see myself being fulfilled and proud of what I do (did) and still have an enjoyable life.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any great thoughts, but I think this is a good question. One of the things that's not addressed often is what could/should be done by people at various points in the training pathway:

MS3 - Just not go into Rad Onc? Is that really the best answer?
MS4 - Post interviews? Rank Prelim medicine and get out?
PGY1-3 - Switch specialties?
Early attending - Go back to residency? Stick it out? Make as much as possible?

I feel like most of the time we just focus how on globally we desperately need to restrict the residency spots ASAP, but honestly I'm no sure what I'd do any any of these steps along the way. I'm sure some other folks will have good advice though.

Hi all,
I understand the job market is **** and probably only going to get worse. Would it be a reasonable approach to pursue Rad Onc now with the intention of taking a job in the middle of no where and getting paid great $$? I have seen people throw around figures of $650k+ for jobs in rural areas ( is this accurate? will these jobs still exist when/if I would finish residency in 7 yrs?), I don't want to live in one of these places long term but I could see myself living in one of these places for ~5 years and investing enough money to:
1. Get close to retiring
2. Go back and get a MPH or MBA and some lower paying work but with a good schedule
3. Find a very low paying ($100-200k) Rad Onc job in a desirable location with great hours
4. Do something entirely different from medicine that I enjoy (i.e. personal training, opening up a gym, etc.)

Yes, those numbers are accurate for extremely rural situations ($650k is about the max salary you could get without running into to stark law/FMV limitations - $600k is a more reasonable ceiling, typical initial offers are $500-550k). With aggressive savings at such a job, you should be able to become financially independent within 10 years, sooner if you're not actually planning on retiring and living off interest/dividends (however a 5 year career is probably not reasonable even at 90%-tile income levels unless you already have significant investments/assets). However, a lot could change in the next 7-10 years. Putting the job market and overtraining aside, the political climate in the country is so unstable who knows what reimbursement for healthcare services and taxes will look like ($650k may sound like a lot more than $400k, but with state taxes and the highest marginal rates, that 250k difference is really only a $125k difference, and if the growing contingent of redistributionist politicians have their way it could be even less). Your strategy is a good one for right now, but I can't promise you it will still be in 7-10 years. Unless you love rad onc and actually want to live in a rural area, I would say it's a bad idea to go into rad onc because you can currently make a lot of money in a rural environment and you'd be willing to sacrifice 5 years of your remaining youth to make 50% more. If you don't want to be in a rural area and there's another more stable field you would also be ok with that, I'd think about it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
have not really found any other field to be acceptable to me

You've answered your own question. If rad onc is the only thing you can see yourself doing, and you're willing to be flexible about how your career plays out, you should apply.

Reactions: 2 users
I should point out that working in rural areas gives very high compensation for good reasons. Not only are you potentially socially isolated but it can be hell on your spouse and kids. Also, you will likely be the solo person, on-call 24/7 and it will be challenging to get locums coverage for your vacations. Even taking an occasional three day weekend could be challenging. Also, peer review will be difficult/impossible and no matter how good your training, people can make silly errors without formalized chart rounds.

With all that said, the best rural ROs have ingrained themselves into their community. They attend religious services, community events, and have plenty of friends in the area. If you are able to achieve this, it will be far more pleasant.

Reactions: 1 users
I should point out that working in rural areas gives very high compensation for good reasons. Not only are you potentially socially isolated but it can be hell on your spouse and kids. Also, you will likely be the solo person, on-call 24/7 and it will be challenging to get locums coverage for your vacations. Even taking an occasional three day weekend could be challenging. Also, peer review will be difficult/impossible and no matter how good your training, people can make silly errors without formalized chart rounds.

With all that said, the best rural ROs have ingrained themselves into their community. They attend religious services, community events, and have plenty of friends in the area. If you are able to achieve this, it will be far more pleasant.

Perfect synopsis of my career and life. I know it sounds weird but there have been more than a few times where I had less than 10 patients under treatment and/or a few hours of work to do, but ironically enough was at work for 10-12 hours (not "working" the entire time of course) or similarly couldn't take a quick trip but at the same time didn't really have that much work to do. Other times it's crazy. That's just how it goes when your in the middle of nowhere in a specialty where the MD must be in house during treatments (that's a gray zone for another thread by the way).

Gfunk's second paragraph is very important and true. I'm a first/second generation Indian whose parents are Hindu and personally someplace between atheist and "I don't know/care" but have Christmas trees in my house and office, which is closed on Easter, exchange gifts during Christmas time (it's not called "the Holidays" here) and "pray" with my patients all the time (the best that I can). I've never held a gun or hunted (oddly enough really enjoy fishing) but know a lot about both. My family and I have not encountered much racism but a for some reason, at least in my experiences, people even in extremely non-diverse rural America fully accept, if not expect, their physicians to be Indian.

In the end if you've determined that radiation oncology is the only field that is "acceptable" then you've answered your own question. Just be aware that when we are talking about rural America/undesirable areas we are talking about places where you drive 30 minutes to get to Walmart (which is your main grocery store after one of the two gas stations in town . . . both of which are owned by my stereotypical Indian uncle where my aunt also works!).

But seriously when most residents in radiation oncology think of "rural" or "middle of nowhere" they are probably thinking of places with nearly 1 million people in the metro area . . . I'm talking about places like this (this is so true for many of my patients, all (ok most), of whom I love!):

https://local.theonion.com/rural-nebraskan-not-sure-he-could-handle-frantic-pace-o-1819565879

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for the response. This is very helpful to think about because without ever actually living in a secluded rural location its tough (impossible) to appreciate just how bad it may be. I should emphasize that my plan isn't to do Rad Onc with the intention of working in a rural location for $$$. I would much rather find a job in a decent location (I have no interest in the largest cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, or Boston) in the suburbs around a decent sized metro area with good weather. I made this thread to see if my understanding of "the worst case" scenario after Rad Onc residency was accurate.

Yes, those numbers are accurate for extremely rural situations ($650k is about the max salary you could get without running into to stark law/FMV limitations - $600k is a more reasonable ceiling, typical initial offers are $500-550k). With aggressive savings at such a job, you should be able to become financially independent within 10 years, sooner if you're not actually planning on retiring and living off interest/dividends (however a 5 year career is probably not reasonable even at 90%-tile income levels unless you already have significant investments/assets). However, a lot could change in the next 7-10 years. Putting the job market and overtraining aside, the political climate in the country is so unstable who knows what reimbursement for healthcare services and taxes will look like ($650k may sound like a lot more than $400k, but with state taxes and the highest marginal rates, that 250k difference is really only a $125k difference, and if the growing contingent of redistributionist politicians have their way it could be even less). Your strategy is a good one for right now, but I can't promise you it will still be in 7-10 years. Unless you love rad onc and actually want to live in a rural area, I would say it's a bad idea to go into rad onc because you can currently make a lot of money in a rural environment and you'd be willing to sacrifice 5 years of your remaining youth to make 50% more. If you don't want to be in a rural area and there's another more stable field you would also be ok with that, I'd think about it.

I appreciate the response and definitely understand all the good points that you have made (i.e. depending on political environment compensation may decrease soonish). My issue is that I want to do something I find meaningful and am proud of; while having a decent lifestyle and pay. Its a lot to ask for I know. Other things I am thinking of:
Heme/Onc? Would probably find meaningful and enjoy. IM residency is kind of stopping me from this and the idea of always being on-call is a major buzzkill
Radiology? It seems interesting to me and lifestyle/pay are decent but I doubt I would find it very meaningful.
Anesthesia? Pay/lifestyle are decent. Physiology and pharmacology are cool to me but again, I doubt I would find it very meaningful; pretty thankless job - if I did this I think I would maybe also do a MPH and do some global health or something to give myself more meaning
Derm? Not interesting or meaningful but good money/lifestyle

If you were a M3 at this point what do you think you would be going into?

I appreciate the response and definitely understand all the good points that you have made (i.e. depending on political environment compensation may decrease soonish). My issue is that I want to do something I find meaningful and am proud of; while having a decent lifestyle and pay. Its a lot to ask for I know. Other things I am thinking of:
Heme/Onc? Would probably find meaningful and enjoy. IM residency is kind of stopping me from this and the idea of always being on-call is a major buzzkill
Radiology? It seems interesting to me and lifestyle/pay are decent but I doubt I would find it very meaningful.
Anesthesia? Pay/lifestyle are decent. Physiology and pharmacology are cool to me but again, I doubt I would find it very meaningful; pretty thankless job - if I did this I think I would maybe also do a MPH and do some global health or something to give myself more meaning

I stated many times before that radiation oncology is the best thing that ever happened to me, if pay drops 25% at 5pm tonight I'll be here Monday morning and if it drops 50% over the next 3-5 years I'll still be here. I also had an awesome decade or two and don't have an excpensive lifestyle while living in a place where you can literally buy a mansion for well, well under $500,000/year.

I wouldn't mind medical oncology (drop the heme) but if I was a third year medical student now with how the future looks and especially if I were single or had geographic preferences I would definitely do it over radiation oncology. I'm afraid that if what is stopping you from pursuing medical oncology (it's five years just like radiation oncology if you drop heme) is the fear of a 3 year IM residency then you aren't thinking long-term enough (I didn't either when I was a medical student but I just got lucky and stumbled into this field in it's prime) . . . three years isn't that long in the grand scheme of things and from what I understand radiation oncology residency in some cases isn't THAT much better anymore.

Not sure what you mean by being on call all the time. In any event, there are plenty more unique opportunities for part-time and flexible work arrangements in a larger field like medical oncology (and you could always fall back on internal medicine if oncology for whatever reason goes downhill or primary care keeps getting better between now and 2060 or whenever it is you plan to retire).

In the end though if radiation oncology is the only thing that does it for you and you really understand what working/living in a truly "undesirable" place means then do it!

Heme onc. Not on call all the time. Good market. Real take ownership of the patient. IM residency is not that bad (you're gonna do a year of internship anyway, just add a year to that because third year is cruise control since they match in November. Beats a useless radonc fellowship. Plus you learn how to manage sick patients and can do international work. Not dependent on a linac...physicsist...therapist...etc). People I wouldnt steer away from RO are those with relatives in the field who own machines or run departments- and there are a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were going through this again, I would give some thought to doing an internal medicine residency (in a cushy program) prior to radonc.

This type of question has been posted again and again and it's generally the same people posting the same responses on these threads. You have to do what you enjoy or you're going to be miserable regardless of how much money you make. I'm sure that many people who went into radonc had a similar internal monologue to yours. I.e. this one's too cold, this one's too hot, this one's just right. Only you can decide what is important to you. The golden age of radonc is long gone but at the end of the day we still get paid a good salary for a gratifying job with a good lifestyle. You won't have your pick of locations but you may still be lucky enough to wind up somewhere you still really enjoy. If you think the only jobs around are in rural locations like Carlsbad, NM or Laredo, TX then why are these jobs posted again and again year after year? It's because they can't fill them, and they can't fill them because people get jobs elsewhere. I did, all 10 of the residents I know that graduated from a variety of programs with me did, all residents I know ahead of me did, and the handful of people behind me either have landed or are in the process of choosing what I would consider very good jobs.

This is not a self-congratulatory post by any means. There are certainly residents that weren't as lucky. Maybe even many residents that weren't that lucky though I don't consider myself to hang around the cream of the crop. Things could change very quickly, but if you read through all these threads that get posted you see the same people posting the same things. Some of these people haven't even graduated residency yet. That's not to say they don't raise valid concerns, but the grass is always greener on the other side. As much as I want the powers at be to somehow find a way to stop increasing the number of residency spots, I think it would be a shame to turn away quality medical students from an incredible field.

On the topic of other fields to consider, I always thought ophtho seemed nice. Procedural + medical management, own your organ without competition from another specialty, potential for nice income/lifestyle, people really value their vision so it’s rewarding to practice, lots of cool tech. Never that into eyeballs myself but seems like a lot of nice attributes there.

Last edited:
if you read through all these threads that get posted you see the same people posting the same things. Some of these people haven't even graduated residency yet.

I think it would be a shame to turn away quality medical students from an incredible field.

You said this twice in the same post. I am about to graduate and just interviewed for ~10 jobs in a variety of locations and practice situations all over the country. I'd like to think I'm somewhat qualified to comment on these threads, although to your credit, you're correct that I have not graduated residency yet. Although last I checked this was a resident forum. Perhaps the rad oncs 10-20 years out from graduation and their most recent job interviews have a better perspective on the current state of the entry-level rad onc employment market. I'm sorry, and I appreciate that you add a qualifier, but I've got call to call out the ad hominem there (you might want to update your status from "med student" also, because I'm not really sure the platform you're calling out posters like me from).

Medical students need a clear picture about what they are getting into. I have been frustrated by the head-in-the-sand attitude I've encountered by applicants this year and the last. Yes, there are some truly great unique things about this field -- I'm not denying that. However, there is a difference between someone with 15-20 years experience with grown children who has secured retirement and "won the game" saying he would still work with a 50% pay cut vs. an upcoming med school grad with 300k in loans and a future family considering this specialty vs. literally all others.

I am happy with my choice for now. I wouldn't do something else. There are certainly a handful of med students for whom rad onc is still a great choice. However, I have a unique situation and certainly wouldn't extrapolate it to most current MS-3s. An objective look at the current situation and 10 year outlook is pessimistic, to say the least.

It's not people like me that are responsible for shamefully turning away qualified applicants. It's our leadership.

Members don't see this ad :)
People I wouldnt steer away from RO are those with relatives in the field who own machines or run departments- and there are a lot.

From what I've seen recently, the number of people entering into this field with a parent or sibling who is a rad onc is around 15-20%, which is about 10 times higher than what I would have guessed or would have otherwise not raised an eyebrow at. Often time it is multiple family members (parents, uncles, brothers/sisters). Didn't realize rad onc was so much of a "family business."

You said this twice in the same post. I am about to graduate and just interviewed for ~10 jobs in a variety of locations and practice situations all over the country. I'd like to think I'm somewhat qualified to comment on these threads, although to your credit, you're correct that I have not graduated residency yet. Although last I checked this was a resident forum. Perhaps the rad oncs 10-20 years out from graduation and their most recent job interviews have a better perspective on the current state of the entry-level rad onc employment market. I'm sorry, and I appreciate that you add a qualifier, but I've got call to call out the ad hominem there (you might want to update your status from "med student" also, because I'm not really sure the platform you're calling out posters like me from).

Medical students need a clear picture about what they are getting into. I have been frustrated by the head-in-the-sand attitude I've encountered by applicants this year and the last. Yes, there are some truly great unique things about this field -- I'm not denying that. However, there is a difference between someone with 15-20 years experience with grown children who has secured retirement and "won the game" saying he would still work with a 50% pay cut vs. an upcoming med school grad with 300k in loans and a future family considering this specialty vs. literally all others.

I am happy with my choice for now. I wouldn't do something else. There are certainly a handful of med students for whom rad onc is still a great choice. However, I have a unique situation and certainly wouldn't extrapolate it to most current MS-3s. An objective look at the current situation and 10 year outlook is pessimistic, to say the least.

It's not people like me that are responsible for shamefully turning away qualified applicants. It's our leadership.

I obviously don't know you personally, but based on the general theme of your posts your outlook on life is awful. I gave what I consider to be fairly pragmatic and constructive advice, perhaps you should try to do the same. Good luck with boards and good luck with your job search.

YOu know the deranged ten posters who say the same stuff overboard stuff over and over again have REALLY done some damage to the medical student psyche when this poor student thinks that he or she has to settle for 100-200k to live in a desirable location

My dear god this board used to be great.

Btw - It is Feb 1 today (late in cycle) and FOUR jobs were posted today -Atlanta, Cincinnati, San Antonio, and Grand Rapids. The first three are quite rural

You're welcome to move to the ASTRO ROhub :whistle:

Btw - It is Feb 1 today (late in cycle) and FOUR jobs were posted today -Atlanta, Cincinnati, San Antonio, and Grand Rapids. The first three are quite rural

The ASTRO job center once upon a time (maybe 5-10 years ago) used to have lots of jobs in FL, TX, the carolinas etc. More Cali jobs too.

Now they are like unicorns. Lots of MN, MI, WI, KS, OH, and some NY/NJ is the general sense I get. The San Antonio job is probably first TX job that's been posted there in months.

Again, I am still a believer in networking to get your best job and location, but the ASTRO site is probably still a decent proxy of the market over several years. I view it as the place to post a job when you don't have a candidate in mind already through existing connections.

Getting back to the OP, I think it's probably still going to be a decent market in rural locations, even several years from now, if that's your thing, esp once you've got some experience under your belt out in practice, and you're board-certified.

Last edited:
YOu know the deranged ten posters who say the same stuff overboard stuff over and over again have REALLY done some damage to the medical student psyche when this poor student thinks that he or she has to settle for 100-200k to live in a desirable location
l

Heard that you can get in the high 100 to low 2's in Socal? Stanford is offering 150-180 for instructor.

I obviously don't know you personally, but based on the general theme of your posts your outlook on life is awful. I gave what I consider to be fairly pragmatic and constructive advice, perhaps you should try to do the same. Good luck with boards and good luck with your job search.

I think that if you look at my posts in this and similar threads, I have given fairly pragmatic and constructive advice, mostly drawn from my own personal experience in recent interviews (i.e., not just pulling stuff out of thin air). Unfortunately some (certainly not all -- other posters have made threads in all caps about not going into rad onc in any circumstances and posted drawn out hyperbolic admonitions with ridiculous reasoning) of that advice is negative, and for whatever reason that is offensive to some individuals. As I have said multiple times, I am happy with my choice and would do it again. I have already accepted a job with a near 6 figure signing bonus and am thrilled with the particulars of my contract. However, it is a rural job, my circumstances are unique, and I have serious reservations about the the stability of this field, and I cannot in good conscious paint a rosy picture of rad onc with a broad brush to all medical students. The real crime would be to artificially boost the "medical student psyche" by telling them that getting a 400k starting job in a desirable coastal city won't be a problem if they just "network" hard enough. Is that what you want me to do?

For whatever reasons, certain individuals here have chosen to gaslight me on this and other serious issues with which I have identified in our field (namely the issue of systematic cheating on board examinations).

The fact that I am making similar statements in threads of similar topics does not alone undermine the credibility of my arguments. It just means that I am consistent in my opinion. If you wish to disagree, fine. But this attitude of "everything is fine, all negativity comes from a vocal minority of 'deranged' individuals on internet forums" that some people like to vocalize as a way of some weird virtue signalling does a real disservice. There are serious issues that we need to keep talking about and trying to bring to the center of discussions, because there are those with conflicting interests trying to stifle these conversations.

Wow. A whole 4 jobs in one day, 2 appear to be satellite jobs. Sounds like everything's fine after all. Would you also like to mention the fact that the ASTRO board can go weeks without a legitimate rad onc job posted (even nursing and dosimetrist jobs are few and far between sometimes)? There are nearly 200 graduating residents each year now, a nonzero number of experienced rad oncs that are looking for jobs, and a significant percentage of available jobs that do not consider new grads. And these are jobs all over the entire planet; we're not even paying attention to jobs in certain regions, let alone metro areas.

Give me a break.

....The real crime would be to artificially boost the "medical student psyche" by telling them that getting a 400k starting job in a desirable coastal city won't be a problem if they just "network" hard enough. Is that what you want me to do?

Is that what I did? "The golden age of radonc is long gone but at the end of the day we still get paid a good salary for a gratifying job with a good lifestyle. You won't have your pick of locations but you may still be lucky enough to wind up somewhere you still really enjoy."

I'm not quite sure how the above quote equates to telling people they'll get a 400k starting job in a desirable coastal city and frankly I'm not sure I have ever seen anyone on this forum even suggest something like that...

...this attitude of "everything is fine, all negativity comes from a vocal minority of 'deranged' individuals on internet forums" that some people like to vocalize as a way of some weird virtue signalling does a real disservice. There are serious issues that we need to keep talking about and trying to bring to the center of discussions, because there are those with conflicting interests trying to stifle these conversations.

I pointed out valid upsides and downsides to this field. I did not say everything is fine. I said that I am happy with my decision, many of the people I know around my same level of training are happy with their decision, and that there certainly are people around that are unhappy with their decisions. That is a pragmatic statement and one borne of personal experience. I don't think a comment like "Unless you love rad onc and actually want to live in a rural area, I would say it's a bad idea to go into rad onc" is a fair one. In fact, it's simply not true at all. Sure, there are jobs paying 650k in rural areas and there are jobs paying 200k in California or 300k on the coasts, but a vast majority of jobs fall somewhere in between.

I swear some of you GET OFF on scaring med students and being downers.

Stanford having an 'instructor' position where you START at 150-180k, which is a KNOWN OUTLIER, is not reason for that to be the EXPECTATION for someone who wants to live in a NON-RURAL area as the OP hypothetical example included - especially 5 years in.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

and Medgator - I applied this year and look at the ASTRO job center every day - there have been a number of Texas jobs posted this year, and outside of Texas, plenty of plenty of jobs posted on the coasts and in Chicago.

You guys have become a parody of yourselves. There are many many good reasons to curb residency expansion - I am 100% on board, but I'm also a rational human being and know the facts.

Look OP and any other medical students reading this - the best thing you can do is talk to real people in real life - recent grads if you know them - and ask them about their job experience and what range of locations they were looking at and what range of salaries.

Personally, Im happy with where I ended up. My starting salary is in the mid 300's and I am ending up in a major metropolitan area.

Also - if you spend time looking at the ASTRO site - which I encourage everyone to do - there are honestly not that many 'RURAL' jobs posted. There is a wide range of Top 20 city types, mid-size cities (places like des moines, springfield IL, Charleston SC, etc etc etc) and then the true random rural places with no airport are few and far between). We are at the end of the 'cycle' so less jobs are being posted now compared to the summer/fall when the board was more active

Bottom Line: The truth is, just as it has been for the last 10-15 years in rad onc, that if you want to 100% guarantee that you can stay in City X for a job when you are out of residency, that guarantee is not there. It all depends on the timing of when you graduate. BUT if you are a bit more flexible, you can find a decent job where you will be happy and paid decently well, and hopefully you will be able to get back to City X in a few years if that's your long term plan. Your first job does not have to be your forever job. It is merely the best of what's available your year.

Last edited:
The astro page doesn't list real jobs. It's a place institutions post to seem legit. Many of those jobs are filled before those posts are made.

Stanford having an 'instructor' position where you START at 150-180k, which is a KNOWN OUTLIER, is not reason for that to be the EXPECTATION for someone who wants to live in a NON-RURAL area as the OP hypothetical example included - especially 5 years in.

and Medgator - I applied this year and look at the ASTRO job center every day - there have been a number of Texas jobs posted this year, and outside of Texas, plenty of plenty of jobs posted on the coasts and in Chicago.

You guys have become a parody of yourselves. There are many many good reasons to curb residency expansion - I am 100% on board, but I'm also a rational human being and know the facts.

Look OP and any other medical students reading this - the best thing you can do is talk to real people in real life - recent grads if you know them - and ask them about their job experience and what range of locations they were looking at and what range of salaries.

Personally, Im happy with where I ended up. My starting salary is in the mid 300's and I am ending up in a major metropolitan area.

Also - if you spend time looking at the ASTRO site - which I encourage everyone to do - there are honestly not that many 'RURAL' jobs posted. There is a wide range of Top 20 city types, mid-size cities (places like des moines, springfield IL, Charleston SC, etc etc etc) and then the true random rural places with no airport are few and far between). We are at the end of the 'cycle' so less jobs are being posted now compared to the summer/fall when the board was more active

Bottom Line: The truth is, just as it has been for the last 10-15 years in rad onc, that if you want to 100% guarantee that you can stay in City X for a job when you are out of residency, that guarantee is not there. It all depends on the timing of when you graduate. BUT if you are a bit more flexible, you can find a decent job where you will be happy and paid decently well, and hopefully you will be able to get back to City X in a few years if that's your long term plan. Your first job does not have to be your forever job. It is merely the best of what's available your year.

I actually think OP is the perfect candidate for rad onc with awesome stats and most importantly single and no geographical preferences. If you match at a great residency (which I think is almost certain), work at a rural job for 5-8 years, you'll be able to retire while still young or start a second career. Of all the specialties you mentioned, rad onc still offers the best balance of lifestyle (including compensation) vs. meaningfulness

Hi all,

M3 here with great board scores, publications, clinical grades etc. who cannot decide on a specialty and hasn't really liked much of anything I have done and keeps circling back to Rad Onc.

1. Get close to retiring

Excuse my ignorance but is that a realistic approach for someone like me? I cannot decide what I want to do with my life and have not really found any other field to be acceptable to me for either lack of meaningful/interesting work to me, or terrible schedule etc. and this is the one way I could potentially see myself being fulfilled and proud of what I do (did) and still have an enjoyable life.

Thanks

we gonna be rad onc partners and open up a gym. first priority will be lifting heavy ass weights. we're gonna get our fair share of genetically gifted monsterous farm boys willing to train hard to grow for foo-ball

I actually think OP is the perfect candidate for rad onc with awesome stats and most importantly single and no geographical preferences. If you match at a great residency (which I think is almost certain), work at a rural job for 5-8 years, you'll be able to retire while still young or start a second career. Of all the specialties you mentioned, rad onc still offers the best balance of lifestyle (including compensation) vs. meaningfulness

I honestly have no idea why every single new graduate who can isn’t doing this right now ... it was my plan (x2 with my wife) even back when the job market was great but we ended up just staying.

Seriously though plenty of physicians take years off for “gap years”, research, other degrees or are in residency or fellowship training well into their mid to late thirties working 60-80 hours/wk.

Why not just finish a five year radiation oncology residency and take the most lucrative position you can find, spend like a resident for 5-7 years like plenty of your peers are doing in places they too would rather not be, but making 8-10 times more in the best field in medicine (while actually having a really nice apartment or house in the middle of nowhere for $1000/month vs an apartment that costs way more in a city you don’t even have time to enjoy).

After that if the job market really crashes, medicine more broadly goes to hell, and/or the tax rate goes sky high for us rich doctors just do whatever you want with the silly amount of money you saved up (while providing literally life saving therapies to underserved fellow Americans) before you’re 35 or definitely 40 and if radiation oncology leaders fix everything and medicine and/or the world doesn’t go to hell go ahead and get whatever job you want wherever you want for the next 25-30+ years? Everybody who becomes a physician already sacrificed so much what’s another 3-5 or 7 more years to literally secure a lifelong of financial freedom (while again practicing the most awesome field in all of medicine to grateful patients who otherwise may go without adequate care and while your neurosurgery, gyn onc, colleges or even friends in finance or law or whatever are toiling away putting in their years of training/work for an order of magnitude less pay)?

Honest question (that’s exactly what I did even when things were awesome and although it won’t work for everybody it’s literally beyond a dream come true).

Last edited by a moderator:
Also - if you spend time looking at the ASTRO site - which I encourage everyone to do - there are honestly not that many 'RURAL' jobs posted. There is a wide range of Top 20 city types, mid-size cities (places like des moines, springfield IL, Charleston SC, etc etc etc)

Mid-size cities?

Des Moines - 217K with an MSA population of 600K spread out over a 5 county area?

Springfield IL - 117K with an MSA population of 217K?

Would probably put those in the lower-tier, not quite rural, but not a city like Cincinnati, where you've got at least one sports team and a population of 300K within the city, which I would consider more a mid-tier city. Whether you'll agree or not, most of the jobs that seem to be posted to ASTRO lately are for smaller midwest and non-coastal places, smaller than cinci (think Macon, Salina, Rhinelander, El Centro etc.)

And maybe that is because they don't fill, but you have to wonder why larger places aren't needing to use ASTRO to begin assuming they are hiring from time to time. FWIW, my neck of the woods has a double-digit number of ROs and none of the practices post to ASTRO I think, even when they were hiring.

Again no guarantees, and assuming one lands the reasonable chance of PP with possible practice/technical ownership with first job in a rural location, it'll make it even that much harder to move and "start over" financially with another group.

Last edited:
Why not just finish a five year radiation oncology residency and take the most lucrative position you can find, spend like a resident for 5-7 years like plenty of your peers are doing in places they too would rather not be, but making 8-10 times more in the best field in medicine (while actually having a really nice apartment or house in the middle of nowhere for $1000 vs an apartment that costs way more in a city you don’t even have time to enjoy).

After that if the job market really crashes, medicine more broadly goes to hell, and/or the tax rate goes sky high for us rich doctors just do whatever you want with the silly amount of money you saved up (while providing literally life saving therapies to underserved fellow Americans) well before you’re 35 or definitely 40 and if radiation oncology leaders fix everything and medicine and/or the world doesn’t go to hell go ahead and get whatever job you want wherever you want?

Honest question (that’s exactly what I did even when things were awesome and although it won’t work for everybody it’s literally beyond a dream come true).

Should work out fine, assuming something scarier than a 70% tax rate doesn't get passed.

Should work out fine, assuming something scarier than a 70% tax rate doesn't get passed.

I have no idea what the tax rate is going to be in the future but I’m 100% sure it will be higher in the future than it is now and likewise no idea what a reasonable expectation of return on investment will be in the future but 100% sure that money will continue to compound (at whatever rate) forever so make as much money as you can as quickly as you can (not doing shady stuff but while literally minimizing the suffering and saving the lives of your fellow Americans while practicing the most incredible field in all of medicine!)

If you can do it without sacrificing anything other than your significant other or family due to geographic restrictions I strongly advise all recent graduates to do it!

If the San Antonio practice is the one I think it is, it’s not rural and offers a tremendous income upside potential.

Ah, gotcha. San Antonio is by no means rural ha.

FIRE, financial independence retire early, like you’re talking about is becoming less and less of a viable option in the US. Doesn’t mean it’s not possible but it is very tough even on 600k a year for 10 years unless you plan to just stay in those rural areas. Financial samurai has a good article on what he has termed DIRE, a more realistic paradigm given how expensive things have become.

I guess we are both talking to a wall. You keep bringing up the same "ten posters,". But how about the thought leaders on the ASTRO board, are you including them ? You persistently bring up your own successful job search and that of some of your fellow residents, when the main concern here is that everything is likely to be very different in 5-10 years, when current med students are looking.
Lastly, and most importantly, the issue for me is not about salary. I am 10-15 years into this career, and it would not rock my world to take a 50% salary cut, and many fields in medicine may face this. But, docs in those other fields will be doing more for less, we very well may just have less to do. That is a big distinction.
All that being said, if you are determined to go in radiation oncology, I would definitely do a prelim year in internal medicine, so that if you ever had to retrain, it would only be 2 years to get board certification as an internist.

Last edited:
I guess we are both talking to a wall. You keep bringing up the same "ten posters,". But how about the thought leaders on the ASTRO board, are you including them ? You persistently bring up your own successful job search and that of some of your fellow residents, when the main concern here is that everything is likely to be very different in 5-10 years, when current med students are looking.
Lastly, and most importantly, the issue for me is not about salary. I am 10-15 years into this career, and it would not rock my world to take a 50% salary cut, and many fields in medicine may face this. But, docs in those other fields will be doing more for less, we very well may just have less to do. That is a big distinction.
All that being said, if you are determined to go in radiation oncology, I would definitely do a prelim year in internal medicine, so that if you ever had to retrain, it would only be 2 years to get board certification as an internist.

Doing a prelim does not mean you don't have to redo the intern year should you opt out of RO and decide to go into IM. I don't think a PD in IM would let someone 10 years out start as a pgy2 but I could be wrong.

Doing a prelim does not mean you don't have to redo the intern year should you opt out of RO and decide to go into IM. I don't think a PD in IM would let someone 10 years out start as a pgy2 but I could be wrong.
You may be right. Its something our IM PD jokes with me about.

You would very likely get at least partial credit for that year unless you were clearly incompetent.

I knew two people last year who were trying to get back to Texas. Neither got a job there and are in totally different parts of the country. I talked to several friends there for myself and none of them were hiring or knew of anyone that was.

Also, I'm glad you're making out okay. We have several graduating residents here, it's February, and none of them have jobs. Two of them are talking about fellowship vs. locums.

There is a wide range of Top 20 city types, mid-size cities (places like des moines, springfield IL, Charleston SC, etc etc etc) and then the true random rural places with no airport are few and far between).

I'm reading these ASTRO posts every day and applying to many of them trying to find a new job. Every day it's an insult to get an e-mail full of RN and other specialist (med onc, urologist, etc) jobs in my e-mail from the ASTRO career site.

Only Charleston job I remember was by MUSC posted as Charleston, but if you read the text it was actually a satellite in a place called Orangeburg--population ~13,000, 75 miles from Charleston. I see a lot of posts like this. The location gives the main center but the position is actually a satellite job often far from the main center.

At the residency program I'm loosely attached to, they only allow the med students and applicants to be in the room with the chair, vice chair, or PD. When the medical students interview, it's 2:1 or 3:1 interviews, and the room always has one of these people in it to watch what the faculty say. I'd be happy to tell you all about how bad the job market is with the people I know who are unemployed, underemployed, or in other bad/exploitative situations, but you'll almost certainly never meet me.

I never wanted to live here and I still don't. My wife tells me how much she hates where we live every day. I used to try to get back to the REGION we're both from, and can't find anything. Now I'm just looking for a job that pays well and treats me fairly. Even that's impossible.

there are honestly not that many 'RURAL' jobs posted
We are at the end of the 'cycle' so less jobs are being posted now compared to the summer/fall when the board was more active
I am 10-15 years into this career, and it would not rock my world to take a 50% salary cut, and many fields in medicine may face this. But, docs in those other fields will be doing more for less, we very well may just have less to do.
I never wanted to live here and I still don't. My wife tells me how much she hates where we live every day. I used to try to get back to the REGION we're both from, and can't find anything. Now I'm just looking for a job that pays well and treats me fairly. Even that's impossible.
(To me, "not that many 'RURAL' jobs" is both worrisome and non-worrisome...)
This board, the ASTRO board, and our general community show we have two types in rad onc now: the Pollyannas and the Cassandras. Whether one is a Pollyanna or a Cassandra, the psychological toll of lack of geographic freedom can be really oppressive for some people. This "feature" of rad onc has increased over time. Also, with way more rad oncs (oversupply), and less rad onc work (hypfractionation, ±declining indications), we can all at least admit that there is more of a "babysitting" and "warm body" role to rad onc now versus in the past (the rise of the "academic satellite" is case-in-point). For some, this will be NBD. For others, they will not choose rad onc for these reasons. These reasons are not "fake news."

Cassandra? Hah! I'm not telling you prophecies. This is the way it is NOW.

Let me tell you how it is where I did residency and where I'm faculty. Because they're both basically the same thing.

These places are opening satellites all over the place with the competitive advantage that they get paid higher reimbursements than the private practices in the area.

They then staff them with new grads at half or less of what the established private practice rad oncs are making. There is no private market hiring since they're fighting to survive and being gobbled up by the academic centers.

Where I work they have close to taken over the market in the area. There are no other jobs in the area, and once you sign on you're given a huge area non-compete so you're stuck at this job unless you move far out of the area. You could say "oh that's your fault for signing the non-compete". Yeah ok I applied all over the country and got two job offers, both at academic satellites and both with huge non-negotiable non-completes so what choice did I have?

They are actively decreasing everyone's salary to 25% or less of AAMC academic salary with 100% clinical effort and demanding PP level RVU outputs. They are cutting benefits--healthcare, vacation, etc etc etc. Anyone who makes more than 25th percentile AAMC due to seniority or whatever is getting their salary cut.

If you complain or even ask too many questions, they will threaten to replace you with a desperate new grad. Your contract is at their will--they can and will fire you for any reason and everyone is scared of being let go. They post a job ad on the ASTRO site and get hundreds of applications. Even without posting a job ad, they get dozens and dozens of CVs from qualified people and new grads every year unsolicited. Sometimes they don't even have to take desperate new grads. They can take people from failing PPs or other problematic academic positions and pay experienced faculty the same non-negotiable peanuts as a desperate new grad. At first these suckers are just happy to be employed, given that often times they've been totally unemployed for awhile and like me they have no other options.

So what's it like working rad onc "academics"? They treat us like crap every day. No clinic support. Pay on par with general IM except my pay will never increase--only decrease if I don't make target for whatever reason and I'm losing benefits. 12 hours a day between clinic, machine, and hospital coverages. Made fun of and disrespected by chair, vice chair, administration, etc. We talk among each other about how bad it is and look for new jobs hoping that something else will come up (hint: it doesn't). It's like a game of musical chairs but the music stopped and there's nowhere else to sit.

Hey good news everyone, we're still expanding the residency program! We have all these satellites that could use residents. You think the chair cares that there are no jobs for grads? For them it's great--they'll do fellowships that way. The chair, vice chair, and program director need 100% resident coverage. Maybe the other faculty can have 20-40% coverage (amount depending on how much they kiss up to the chair and residents). It's sold as--if we get more residents, maybe you can have more coverage. They'll never hire midlevels since the department has to pay for them (except for the chair who can't live without a resident and midlevel AT ALL TIMES). Fellows are also great--they can support us to do research. Otherwise the heck with research, that's industry's job to fund med onc immunotherapy trials. The NIH is a waste of time (too little funding, rate of success too low).

I'm a Cassandra? No. This isn't the future. I'm telling you reality as it is NOW. It's only going to get worse. Stay away from this field.

Reactions: 4 users
Cassandra? Hah! I'm not telling you prophecies. This is the way it is NOW.

Let me tell you how it is where I did residency and where I'm faculty. Because they're both basically the same thing.

These places are opening satellites all over the place with the competitive advantage that they get paid higher reimbursements than the private practices in the area.

They then staff them with new grads at half or less of what the established private practice rad oncs are making. There is no private market hiring since they're fighting to survive and being gobbled up by the academic centers.

Where I work they have close to taken over the market in the area. There are no other jobs in the area, and once you sign on you're given a huge area non-compete so you're stuck at this job unless you move far out of the area. You could say "oh that's your fault for signing the non-compete". Yeah ok I applied all over the country and got two job offers, both at academic satellites and both with huge non-negotiable non-completes so what choice did I have?

They are actively decreasing everyone's salary to 25% or less of AAMC academic salary with 100% clinical effort and demanding PP level RVU outputs. They are cutting benefits--healthcare, vacation, etc etc etc. Anyone who makes more than 25th percentile AAMC due to seniority or whatever is getting their salary cut.

If you complain or even ask too many questions, they will threaten to replace you with a desperate new grad. Your contract is at their will--they can and will fire you for any reason and everyone is scared of being let go. They post a job ad on the ASTRO site and get hundreds of applications. Even without posting a job ad, they get dozens and dozens of CVs from qualified people and new grads every year unsolicited. Sometimes they don't even have to take desperate new grads. They can take people from failing PPs or other problematic academic positions and pay experienced faculty the same non-negotiable peanuts as a desperate new grad. At first these suckers are just happy to be employed, given that often times they've been totally unemployed for awhile and like me they have no other options.

So what's it like working rad onc "academics"? They treat us like crap every day. No clinic support. Pay on par with general IM except my pay will never increase--only decrease if I don't make target for whatever reason and I'm losing benefits. 12 hours a day between clinic, machine, and hospital coverages. Made fun of and disrespected by chair, vice chair, administration, etc. We talk among each other about how bad it is and look for new jobs hoping that something else will come up (hint: it doesn't). It's like a game of musical chairs but the music stopped and there's nowhere else to sit.

Hey good news everyone, we're still expanding the residency program! We have all these satellites that could use residents. You think the chair cares that there are no jobs for grads? For them it's great--they'll do fellowships that way. The chair, vice chair, and program director need 100% resident coverage. Maybe the other faculty can have 20-40% coverage (amount depending on how much they kiss up to the chair and residents). It's sold as--if we get more residents, maybe you can have more coverage. They'll never hire midlevels since the department has to pay for them (except for the chair who can't live without a resident and midlevel AT ALL TIMES). Fellows are also great--they can support us to do research. Otherwise the heck with research, that's industry's job to fund med onc immunotherapy trials. The NIH is a waste of time (too little funding, rate of success too low).

I'm a Cassandra? No. This isn't the future. I'm telling you reality as it is NOW. It's only going to get worse. Stay away from this field.

DukeNukem is correct on all counts.

The attitudes of academic chairs and cancer center leadership are shocking. They are ecstatic at the oversupply of new grads in the job market because they can offer $325,000/year for a new grad in an undesirable city. In desirable areas, $225,000 or maybe even less.

Do you think they are passing that savings on to the patient? Of course not. How else are they going to fund the upper 6 and 7 figure salaries of the growing contingent of senior administrators in these "non-profit" hospitals? The people who make hiring decisions and run the departments are heavily incentivized to pass along as much profit as possible, and that means reducing physician salary expense. The prices are kept secret, the collections are kept secret, the production numbers are kept secret, and everyone's salary and bonus structure is kept secret. Do you think that this secrecy is just an accident? Everything, literally everything, is about maximizing the percentage of dollars from payors that flow through to the hospital. Getting a $100,000/year discount on a new grad compared to 5 years ago is HUGE. If competition resulted in a situation where a new rad onc was willing to work for $75,000/year, do you think the administration would say, "No, that's wrong -- you're bringing in $600,000 in professional fees alone plus the multiples that we are able to bill in technical fees for your work -- we're going to pay you more."?

I am thrilled that the current national leadership is trying to expose the corruption that exists in healthcare pricing. However, we have a long way to go and are devolving at a much more rapid rate than anything is being fixed.

We spend years in residency memorizing trivial data points from 20-30 year old trials. Where was the part where we were taught how the business of radiation oncology works and how much we are worth? Was that also an accident? Or did the leaders have an incentive to keep us ignorant on everything money-related? We are taught that the academic centers are the ones who encourage providers to choose treatments wisely, so surely they would not be doing anything unethical with the flow of service charges, right?

Partners in private practices that were bought out are seeing their salaries slashed in their new contracts. RVU numbers are hidden. Non-compete scopes are expanded to the point that if you find the terms of a future contract unacceptable, which are given yearly and not automatically renewable, your only choice if you want to continue working is to sell your house and move your family. Justification for cuts to satellite provider pay is to support the academic mission at the main site, which mostly consists of publishing retrospective reviews and biased sociopolitical commentary no one asked for. Residency spots are expanded and fellowships are added to support this mission.

This is all happening at an alarming rate.

Hospital administration is keenly aware of your bargaining power, or in words they prefer, whether they "have you." Your best bet is to be single with no geographic restrictions and no financial obligations so that you can scour the country for the fair opportunities, which are becoming few and far in between, and take them wherever they come and leave them when the terms become bad. However, people like this are well in the minority. Most of us entering the field and early in our careers nowhere near retirement have families with children in school. We have spouses with highly specialized professional careers who also don't have job flexibility. Many of us have student loan burdens and mortgages. Especially in "desirable" areas where we can be hit with the trifecta of higher housing costs, higher taxes, and significantly lower pay. And nearly every millennial wants to be within a few minutes of Whole Foods, a hundred different restaurants, and an international airport. The hospitals know they "have you." If they can get you for a bargain as a new grad, do you honestly think they are going to start paying you more out of the goodness of their hearts as you become even more settled? I have seen it. The more rooted you are in the area, the worse your next contract will be.

You gave up 15 years of your life to become a radiation oncologist. Your friends that studied other STEM fields in college such as computer science started their careers over a decade ago. They maxed out their 401(k)s and company stock plans, bought houses, and enjoyed life in the private sector likely now making $200,000 or more with net worths close to $1M if they have done things right. They've got 6 figures in a retirement account that will enjoy compound interest for the next 3-4 decades and be worth millions. Graduating residents at age 30-35 not only have nothing, but can be $300,000 or more in the hole. The bottom line is that we are worth a lot, and it is a travesty to allow the programs to flood the marketplace with new grads and then reap the benefits of their actions through cheaper labor and higher profit margins.

I cannot recommend this field to anyone who is not single (or at the very least has a spouse/family that will happily follow you anywhere), has literally any geographic restriction, or any debt or financial obligation. What else should you do? I honestly don't know. Medicine in general is a not a great career choice going forward due to the monster that the American healthcare system is morphing into, but radiation oncology is especially bad.

The residents and new grads who comment that the job market is healthy because so-and-so got a job in SoCal and point to a few hybrid academic jobs on a website remind me of Dan Quayle seeing a "help wanted" sign at Burger King at brushing off concerns about the economy. Could you be any more out of touch? Willful ignorance is not a virtue.

Reactions: 9 users
would love to hear the perspective from someone who went through the search this year or still is who is not happy with how it went/is going.

I'm currently working for a large department with satellites. DukeNukem is 100% correct regarding the hiring situation, including glee that we hear in Chair's voice when a position opens up.

I'm 2.5 years out from residency, board certified and currently have a position at a rural non academic hospital system with good pay and benefits (2 hours from a major metro with a true international airport). I found a job at an academic center in a city I would love to live in. I talked to them and they probably would've given me the job but pay was less then HALF of what I'm currently making for longer hours and more work. Too much of a hit to take finically if I ever want to achieve true finical independence. What will this job market look like 10 years from now?

Regarding the job market and a "reasonable" approach: keep in mind stocks are largely valued on (projected) future earnings ( future price/earnings) ratio. I worry that with a constant oversupply of residents, the rural jobs will eventually fill up, so present med students need a back up plan, not just willingness to be geographically open.

Cassandra was always right, pollyanna was just an optimist. What I am hearing from some current residents is just classic denial. It would be very disconcerting to have chosen this field amongst all the options, after being top of your medical school class, and subsequently see the future compromised by greedy chairs. Often, medstudents and to some extent, residents have an "undue reverence" for their "teachers " and faculty. It is hard for them to entertain the notion that many department leaders/chair are very self interested, petty, and self-promoting (these qualities are self selected for in heads large departments). Many see your relationship with them as purely transactional.

Last edited:

I also want to comment on this important part of Duke's post. I feel like I glossed over it and focused mostly on financial issues, but these other points are also crucial. In addition to having a salary that is 50% or less than your collections at an academic satellite, you can be bullied by the main site. Mandatory peer review conferences can turn ugly and main site attendings seem to get a kick out of pointing out how incompetent anyone else is at treating basic things. Your plans will be picked apart to try and find something to put you down for. You will get pimped on trial data like residents do. The residents will be told that the satellite providers don't know what they're doing. There will be this constant unstated, and sometimes directly stated, implication that you (ironically) only care about making as much money as possible, which drives all of your treatment decisions.

Even if you have a good chair who values you and knows how much you're worth and sticks up for you to hospital admin, there is the constant threat of turnover and a new chair who comes in and furiously says, "why are we paying these older satellite docs $600,000/year when we can get new grads for $300,000/year?" So you'll have horrible terms in your next contract and be pushed out. You can end up covering satellites all over the place, an hour away per more on different days of the week. You'll be working more and making less to prop up the main site.

So yes, when a hospital knows it "has you," not only will your pay be less, but your quality of life at work will commensurately drop.

What does a typical "non-compete" look like these days? Defined by city or county or x miles (how many miles and a radius?) or "drive time"? Also does it include just were you work or all satellites of the academic center (so if it's I don't know 10 miles from each center but they have multiple centers spread every 25-50 miles then the no-compete is literally a multiple hundred square mile area?)

Also what's up with the contract being renewed annually? Is that really happening (and if so does that mean they can let you go if the private practice they just acquired and made a satellite for which they hired you sees patient volume drop or only for just cause)?

This is all very new to those of us who are even just 10-15 years out . . .

2 years of a very detailed restriction which effectively mandates relocation if I'm let go (I'm in a large Midwest city).

What does a typical "non-compete" look like these days? Defined by city or county or x miles (how many miles and a radius?) or "drive time"? Also does it include just were you work or all satellites of the academic center (so if it's I don't know 10 miles from each center but they have multiple centers spread every 25-50 miles then the no-compete is literally a multiple hundred square mile area?)

Also what's up with the contract being renewed annually? Is that really happening (and if so does that mean they can let you go if the private practice they just acquired and made a satellite sees patient volume drop or only for just cause)?

This is all very new to those of us who are even just 10-15 years out . . .

2 years of a very detailed restriction which effectively mandates relocation if I'm let go (I'm in a large Midwest city).
The issue with some of these non-competes is that it still holds if they cut your salary. They can cut your salary in half and you have very little recourse. You cant go to a competitor in your area and with the job market, the way it is, you may have to go across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.