Reapplying to medical school..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JVixen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im just looking for advice on my current dilemma with attempting medical school again.

So here goes, I graduated with a BA in biology with a 3.4 GPA I think like a 3.5 science GPA in 2014. Took my MCAT in 2015 and did terrible...I got like a 500. I applied to schools anyways and I got two interviews and waitlisted at those two DO schools after.

At that time I was in a really unhealthy relationship and completely broke. Mentally I was burned out between the relationship and school work etc. Reapplying wasnt an option because of my financial situation too.

I decided the next best option for me to earn money and stay in healthcare was nursing school. So I did an accelerated program in nursing and got my BSN. I met my husband at this time and got married also. My financial situation is stable now too. I am currently 26 and working as a nurse in the ICU, but i know its not where I want to be.

I have tried to be okay with nursing but I know that I will never stay as a nurse without going further like doing NP or some other track but all these sound unappealing to me. I have stopped feeling challenged and I feel that my knowledge and interests stretch further than nursing. My husband is on board with whatever I choose to do, but I am wondering where do I start?

My ultimate goal would be to get into a MD school in NJ. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Im just looking for advice on my current dilemma with attempting medical school again.

So here goes, I graduated with a BA in biology with a 3.4 GPA I think like a 3.5 science GPA in 2014. Took my MCAT in 2015 and did terrible...I got like a 500. I applied to schools anyways and I got two interviews and waitlisted at those two DO schools after.

At that time I was in a really unhealthy relationship and completely broke. Mentally I was burned out between the relationship and school work etc. Reapplying wasnt an option because of my financial situation too.

I decided the next best option for me to earn money and stay in healthcare was nursing school. So I did an accelerated program in nursing and got my BSN. I met my husband at this time and got married also. My financial situation is stable now too. I am currently 26 and working as a nurse in the ICU, but i know its not where I want to be.

I have tried to be okay with nursing but I know that I will never stay as a nurse without going further like doing NP or some other track but all these sound unappealing to me. I have stopped feeling challenged and I feel that my knowledge and interests stretch further than nursing. My husband is on board with whatever I choose to do, but I am wondering where do I start?

My ultimate goal would be to get into a MD school in NJ. Any advice?
Ace an SMP, retake MCAT and ace that as well (513+; 510 for the NJ schools.) beggars can't be choosy and you need to consider DO schools as well.

You're in a rut, not a deep hole. As a new graduate, you were at a "lower end but admissible" place, and that's probably still about where you are. Your nursing track makes sense, but doesn't improve your chances hugely. If you spend a few years working as a nurse though, it will show that you gave the profession a fair shake and have a reasonable basis for knowing what life as a doctor entails.

@Goro is correct -- The best thing you can do now is show up your academics with a few strategic classes. A DIY post bac with a few upper-level science classes that you ace will help assuage any lingering doubts about your intellectual abilities and refresh your science knowledge for the MCAT. Then make a study plan and stick to it. (Search SDN for How to's) Take your MCAT only after you are consistently scoring in your target range.

If you can stick to the program and avoid getting derailed by babies, you can be back on track pretty quickly --

Reactions: 1 users