Reapplying to DO school; chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moedog45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

After spending a year of agonized waiting in my MD application process and hearing great things about osteopathic schools for people like myself who are really interested in primary care, I've decided to apply to DO schools this summer. Although I know I should probably get more insight into weaknesses of my first application, I was wondering if I would have a fighting chance at DO acceptance with these stats:

GPA of 3.9, sGPA of 3.7, 30Q MCAT, spent two years doing full-time research at an immunology lab; shadowed a physician-colleague for ~50 hours; have begun shadowing an osteopath at a family clinic who will ideally write me a letter of recommendation.

Follow-up question: to those who applied to both MD and DO schools, did you use the AMCAS and AACOMAS interchangeably? I was hoping to transfer most of my MD application to my DO application.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

After spending a year of agonized waiting in my MD application process and hearing great things about osteopathic schools for people like myself who are really interested in primary care, I've decided to apply to DO schools this summer. Although I know I should probably get more insight into weaknesses of my first application, I was wondering if I would have a fighting chance at DO acceptance with these stats:

GPA of 3.9, sGPA of 3.7, 30Q MCAT, spent two years doing full-time research at an immunology lab; shadowed a physician-colleague for ~50 hours; have begun shadowing an osteopath at a family clinic who will ideally write me a letter of recommendation.

Follow-up question: to those who applied to both MD and DO schools, did you use the AMCAS and AACOMAS interchangeably? I was hoping to transfer most of my MD application to my DO application.

Based on GPA and MCAT you are very competitive for DO schools. It seems like you need some leadership and volunteer experiences though. Those are the first two things that I find lacking. Anything in the works?

Hello all,

Your stats are fine for DO or MD. But stats just get the rest of the application looked at by human eyeballs. ECs are what get you the interview offers.

Are these all the ECs you listed? The 50 shadowing hours you mentioned are about the average. The research looks terrific, but I'm concerned that you don't mention clinical experience, where you actively engaged sick people. I also don't see any nonmedical community service, leadership, or teaching. If you have these, they all translate well to the AACOMAS application, though you'll find the system for listing them differs.

What improvements did you make since you last applied? Are you sure your LORs were supportive? Did you apply early in the cycle? Any Institutional Action or legal issues?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your clinical exposure and volunteering are two gaping holes that applying DO isn't going to fix. Your stats are competitive for MD and DO but your EC's put you in the "rejection" pile

Hello all,

this seems a little trollish, lol. Do I have a fighting chance with a 3.9 and a 30? o_O...umm..yes...lol...But I figured that would be obvious though. Not be an a hole but you are on par for MD acceptance so im a bit confused.

this seems a little trollish, lol. Do I have a fighting chance with a 3.9 and a 30? o_O...umm..yes...lol...But I figured that would be obvious though. Not be an a hole but you are on par for MD acceptance so im a bit confused.

I agree. I think his GPA and MCAT would put him in the top 5% of osteopathic matriculants.