Reapplication/Retake Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highlander11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice here. In a tough situation.

Applied this cycle, only to receive 2 II and 2 Waitlists. I genuinely think that my waitlists statuses are due to my low MCAT (503). I was even surprised to get any interviews at all. (GPA: 3.78, ECs are really strong). One of my waitlists is my in-state school (512 average) and the other is to a low-tier, very small school where my MCAT is average (waitlist is 60 students max). Both MD.

The possibility of a gap year is not what upsets me. Getting put on waitlists is not even what upsets me that much either. It is the fact that I likely have to study again for the dreaded MCAT.

I have been putting off this thought because I thought my interviews would lead to acceptances but unfortunately that is not the case up until now. I just hate how quick the cycle turn around is. Like I am going to be waiting to hear about coming off of alternate lists by the time the application for the next cycle opens.

All of this to say... what should I do?

Re-take in May so I can submit on time? Re-take in June/July and my score be late?

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you could please provide more information about your application that is usually provided in the WAMC threads (including old school list and state of residence), that would help:

Right now, it seems the MCAT held you back as you were able to make it to the interview round. You can still get off the waitlist. Depending on how your scored on full length practice tests, you will probably need to take the MCAT after studying in the summer if you want a higher score before applying. You could apply to DO in addition to MD this cycle too as another option.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, the MCAT didn't help you but you haven't been rejected yet. We'll see how things shape up but you will need to plan a retake and add DO schools... which you probably should have done if rural health was something you wanted to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user