Reapplication chances questions - metrics & post-undergrad coursework??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonypadfootprongs

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Davidfromcali

I applied to these schools this past cycle:

Boston
Tufts
George Washington
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Case Western
Albert Einstein
Drexel
Duke
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Mt Sinai
USC
Temple
Mayo Alix (MN)
Mayo Arizona
MCW
Ohio State
Sidney Kimmel
U Cinncinati
U Iowa
U Miami
UPitt
U Rochester
Wake Forest
TCU/U of North Texas
Kaiser
Vermont
Stanford
Columbia
Penn State
Stony Brook
Brown
U Colorado
U Connecticut
U Minnesota
U Wisconsin
Cornell
Indiana

I got feedback about my school list on another thread from some of the SDN adcoms/experts already - basically to take out some of the reaches and OOS schools and adding in a handful of lower-tier MD schools and consider DO schools. So I know I need to edit my school list, but was wondering about competitiveness of metrics and lack of post-undergrad coursework being a potential red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Per MSAR, you’re GPA is on the lower end but your MCAT is solid.

If two schools are concerned about your older coursework than taking a few upper science courses to show schools you can handle the coursework could be valuable.

I think your school list was the difference. Half of the schools you applied to have a median GPA in the 3.8+ range and a 517+ Median MCAT

@gonnif

If I am 3-4 years out of undergrad and currently working in clinical research (Einstein's guidelines that you posted above say 5 years or more and count research as academic experience) - is that still a concern? Just want to clarify - thanks!

@gonnif

If I am 3-4 years out of undergrad and currently working in clinical research (Einstein's guidelines that you posted above say 5 years or more and count research as academic experience) - is that still a concern? Just want to clarify - thanks!

It’s a concern because two schools told you it was. Other schools might have said the same thing if you were able to talk with them to get feedback. You had no interviews( probably because of your list) and you are from California. Being from California is very unlucky . Your GPAs are a bit low but your MCAT is good. If you don’t have any red flags that you know about then maybe try taking a few upper level science courses and reapply in 2021. And always remember that every cycle only about 40 percent of all applicants are accepted. That means around 60 percent are rejected including applicants with stellar applications. You are sort of lucky because you have been told an area on your application that is concerning, at least to two schools.

Did you use the MSAR to develop your list?

Reactions: 1 user
@candbgirl

Only one school mentioned that it might be a concern, the other 2 schools I got feedback from didn't mention anything like that (they just said it was mainly because I was OOS and the metrics they are looking for in OOS students are higher than mine). So, it kind of threw me for a loop.

I used MSAR and I only applied to schools whose 10th-25th percentile accepted cGPAs and bcpm GPAs were equivalent to or less than mine (and only accepted OOS applicants 10th-25th% GPAs if I applied to OOS state schools) and whose median accepted MCAT scores were less than, equal to, or maybe 1 point higher (for a few reaches) than mine.

*Please don't quote this message*

I am a CA ORM who will be reapplying this cycle after no interviews last cycle (applied late) - ~3.60 cgpa, ~3.57 bcpm gpa, 515 mcat (1 attempt) - lots and lots of research & clinical experience, decent shadowing and non-clinical volunteering (got feedback from 2 schools so far and ECs don't seem to be the issue although of course I am continuing to improve upon them, specifically volunteering with underserved populations which I don't have a lot of).

The 3 schools that have given me feedback so far were both OOS state schools and basically said my metrics weren't high enough as an OOS student. One suggested graduate or post-bacc coursework to raise my GPAs to their accepted OOS averages and one of them said that it is concerning that I am 3-4 years out of undergrad without graduate or post-bacc coursework and it is bad to have a gap that long in academic coursework as it raises concerns about how I would re-adjust to rigorous academic courseload in med school.

I have never heard of the gap in post-undergrad coursework being a concern for applicants who are quite a few years out of undergrad and multiple pre-med advisors said that my GPAs were ok/average for MD schools and did not think a post-bacc was necessary.

Do I really not stand a chance for MD schools with my metrics and is it a disadvantage/red flag to not have graduate or post-bacc coursework if you are quite a few years out of undergrad? @gonnif @Faha @Goro @Mr.Smile12 and anyone else? Any applicants who have been successful applying without post-undergrad coursework and out of school for a few years willing to provide input?

Thank you!!
As a reapplicant, strongly suggest having DO schools on your list.