Reapplicant advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flywheel

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to SDN and this is my first post, so please let me know if I omitted important information. I'm a reapplicant looking for advice.

I decided to go into medicine during my junior year of college, so I did a postbac program at WUSTL (1 year) to take the remaining prereq courses. Undergrad GPA: 3.787. Postbac GPA: 4.00. MCAT: 518.

Clinical experience: 495 hours as a patient care tech (basically a CNA who also did phlebotomy, EKGs, and point-of-care testing), 2670 as an oncology research assistant (working directly with patients). I also got certified as an EMT, which I mentioned in my personal statement, but I didn't include it in my activities list because I never worked as an EMT.
Other employment: 715 hours as a campus tour guide during college
Research: 245 hours as a research assistant in college
Shadowing: 36 hours, mostly in emergency med
Volunteering: 137 hours (outpatient surgical center in college, then Head Start program during my postbac year, and currently volunteering at food bank)
Hobby: 3800 hours backpacking/camping/hiking (the high hours are because I started in 2011, when I was in high school)

I applied to 22 schools: U Florida, Baylor, Tulane, Emory, Vanderbilt, UNC, Wake Forest, UCLA, USC, U Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, U Maryland, George Washington, Georgetown, Ohio State, U Cincinnati, U Colorado, Penn State, U Penn, Boston University, Tufts, Brown.
Received 1 interview (UNC), was waitlisted, and ultimately didn't get in.

I spoke to an admissions counselor at UNC, who suggested I volunteer more and try to get clinical experience that's more current. (The patient care tech job ended in 2019. I put my current job in oncology research in the "clinical" category because I drew blood, collected saliva samples, and met with patients for MRIs and questionnaires, but the advisor said that I really need to emphasize the clinical nature of that job because when they see "research assistant," they don't consider it "clinical.")

I plan to reapply in the 2022-2023 cycle. Here's what I see as my shortcomings from the first time:
-Not enough volunteer hours
-Not enough shadowing, and didn't shadow enough specialties
-Lack of leadership experience
-List of schools is too top-heavy
-Hobby hours significantly outshadow my other activities

My plan for the upcoming year: Continue working as an oncology research assistant for the next few months, then enroll in a training program to become an orthopedic tech (Jan 2022 thru July 2022, so I'll be able to talk about it in my primary app), then apply for clinical jobs as an orthopedic tech. Also, my MCAT will have expired by the time I reapply, so I plan to take it again in March or April 2022.
I'm also focusing on volunteering: I'm putting significantly more hours into volunteering at the food bank, and am pursuing volunteer tutoring opportunities (I really enjoy teaching, especially working with kids).

I think I should apply to DO schools, but the challenge is that due to COVID, hospitals aren't allowing shadowing (I've been contacting DOs and asking). I will still keep reaching out to DOs and trying to find shadowing opportunities, but that's currently a roadblock.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions for improvement. Is my assessment of my shortcomings accurate? Does my plan for the next year sound good? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a North Carolina resident ?
Yes, I am a North Carolina resident. (If it makes a difference, I'm originally from California and that's where I went to undergrad, but ever since August 2020 I've been officially classified as an NC resident through the Residency Determination Service.)

When you reapply include many more schools and I suggest these:
UNC
East Carolina
Wake Forest
Duke
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
USF Morsani
Miami
TCU-UNT
St. Louis
Kaiser
USC Keck
Vermont
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Case Western
Cincinnati
George Washington
Western Michigan
You could add or subtract schools depending on what your new MCAT score is. post your score here when available.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNC
East Carolina
Wake Forest
Duke
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
USF Morsani
Miami
TCU-UNT
St. Louis
Kaiser
USC Keck
Vermont
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Case Western
Cincinnati
George Washington
Western Michigan
You could add or subtract schools depending on what your new MCAT score is. post your score here when available.
Thank you for the suggestions. I was planning to apply to a few DO schools as well; is that something you would recommend doing, or should I focus on MD programs only? Also, is it worth reapplying to some or all of the schools I initially applied to (besides the 7 on your list: UNC, Wake, Virginia Commonwealth, USC, Tufts, Cincinnati, and GW)?

Assuming your MCAT is comparable this time around, I don't think you schools are too top heavy. However, adding some as Faha recommended is a great idea.

I had comparable 520 MCAT and 3.89 gpa, so just a bit above yours. My school list when I applied was comparable. In fact, I ended up at UVA. I didn't have one hour of shadowing, but that was back in the day lol. I think you definitely need to get in more volunteer hours and shadowing. Hopefully you can make that happen with the current COVID situation.

It partly depends on your new MCAT score so you will need to wait until it is available.
UNC
East Carolina
Wake Forest
Duke
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
USF Morsani
Miami
TCU-UNT
St. Louis
Kaiser
USC Keck
Vermont
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Case Western
Cincinnati
George Washington
Western Michigan
My new MCAT score is 521.

I made several updates to my Work & Activities section:
-Oncology research assistant: 3650 completed hours; changed the category to "Research/Lab" instead of "Clinical Employment"
-Changed the category of my tour guide job to "Leadership" instead of "Non-Clinical Employment"
-Volunteering: 266 completed hours and 205 anticipated hours in total. I started a new clinical volunteering position several months ago in psychiatry. (I also started volunteering with a hospice organization, but I have so few hours that I decided not to list it on AMCAS)
-Shadowing: 57 completed hours
-Added EMT training (170 completed hours) and EKG Tech & Nurse Aide training (145 completed hours)
-Hobby: increased to 4800 completed hours and 500 anticipated hours

Everything else is the same, although I revised many of the activity descriptions and my meaningful experience essays. I wrote a new personal statement.

I submitted my AMCAS application several days ago and it is awaiting review. I am still working on my TMDSAS application. (I know Baylor is a long shot, but I want to at least try.) So far my AMCAS list includes 16 schools: ECU, UNC, Wake Forest, MUSC, University of South Carolina - Columbia, University of South Carolina - Greenville, Emory, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, University of Maryland, University of Virginia, VCU, Tulane, University of Colorado, University of Chicago, Carle Illinois. I plan to add more schools but am still figuring out which ones.

For context regarding the South Carolina ones: My parents moved to South Carolina two years ago. The South Carolina schools' websites say that they do consider OOS applicants with "strong ties" to SC, including applicants whose parents' legal residence is within SC. I figured it was worth a shot.
I am still a resident of North Carolina.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome!

You could add these schools to your application
Washington University (almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
USF Morsani
Miami
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Boston University
Yale
Pittsburgh
Rochester

You could add these schools to your application
Washington University (almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
USF Morsani
Miami
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth