Reapplicant Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seeopt

Reaction score
hello. i was wondering if anyone has applied a 2nd time to optometry school and how that generally works? how much of your application would you have to redo? and what changes did you make to your application?

Members don't see this ad.

hello. i was wondering if anyone has applied a 2nd time to optometry school and how that generally works? how much of your application would you have to redo? and what changes did you make to your application?
It pretty much keeps all your info. You do have to ask for your letters of recommendation again. I got a masters degree in between my first and second time reapplying. I also explained more details about my volunteer and shadowing experience. I also redid my personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
It pretty much keeps all your info. You do have to ask for your letters of recommendation again. I got a masters degree in between my first and second time reapplying. I also explained more details about my volunteer and shadowing experience. I also redid my personal statement.
if you dont mind me asking what did you do for your masters?

Members don't see this ad :)
if you dont mind me asking what did you do for your masters?
I got it in public health with a concentration on healthcare management! I thought it’d be useful at least if i decide to own a practice one day

hi! So I reapplied this cycle. In the summer I asked the schools specifically (either zoom/email them) what they think I needed to do to be a more competitive applicant. They all said just to raise my OAT scores and gave me a score I should aim for taking into account all of my stats and experiences. so thats exactly what i did! I managed to get the scores they told me to and got into my top 2 schools (UIWRSO & SCO). If i didnt get the scores i got I wouldve either retaken some science classes to raise my gpa or work as an optometric tech for a couple of months to strengthen my application (which were also suggested if i had time).

As for the application, everything is kept but you have to ask for letters of rec again. Some schools ask if you are reapplying and then explain what you have done to be more competitive. I also revised my personal statement. I kept the same structure but tried to make it sound better and had it revised by some current optometry students.

thats all i can remember right now but feel free to ask any questions!!
(please ignore all the typos and stuff im being lazy hahaha)