Reapplicant Advice 3.72/512

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherie_27

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I need some advice regarding my re-application to medical school.
My application was processed on 06/25/2020, but I didn't have my MCAT score until the end of July and CASPER score until October which delayed my application. I also could have submitted secondaries earlier than I did.

These are my stats:
MCAT: 512 (126, 127, 129, 130)
BCPM GPA: 3.65
AO GPA: 3.84
Total GPA: 3.72

I am also a Canadian citizen and do not hold a green card and this may lower my chances in some schools and narrows down the number of schools that I am eligible to apply to.

When I applied I had 60 hours of shadowing, 360 hours of microbiology research, and 90 hours of behavioral science research. I did not have any clinical experience other than shadowing which does not count. I also lacked meaningful volunteering or community service hours. As for my letters of recommendation, I think they were probably not the strongest as I did not have meaningful connections to many professors.

I received 1 interview with Wayne state and I am still on hold.

During this gap year, I worked as a medical scribe with a company called Robin that partners with physicians to deliver scribing services virtually, which was a great opportunity due to covid restrictions. I got great insight into the doctor's day-to-day as I watched patient encounters virtually and completed SOAP notes. I worked there for 7 months and had to stop due to developing carpal tunnel syndrome. I also started doing research at a new lab that I have become very involved in and now work full time as a research assistant. I will have 1-2 publications (not the first author) by the summer. I will also be able to get strong letters of recommendation from people mentors in my lab.

Unfortunately, I did not get involved in volunteering and community service or direct patient involvement and this is the main gap in my application.

The ways I think my application would have improved if I re-apply this coming cycle are:
  • 7 months Scribe experience (virtual though)
  • 1 year of research
  • 1-2 publications coming up
  • Better school list
  • Stronger letters of rec.
  • Complete entire application significantly earlier
However, I am still missing:
  • Direct clinical experience hours
  • Volunteering and community service
  • More shadowing
Do you think it is worth it to re-apply this cycle or will I have a low chance of getting an acceptance still? I would like to start medical school as soon as possible and would rather not take 3 gap years, although I also do not want to be in the predicament where I am re-applying for the third time.

Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you all so much for your insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I did not get involved in volunteering and community service or direct patient involvement and this is the main gap in my application.
Do you think it is worth it to re-apply this cycle or will I have a low chance of getting an acceptance still?
100% not worth it if Covid wasn’t a thing. Not sure how that affects things, i.e. how hard it was to get community service and in person experience this past year.

100% not worth it if Covid wasn’t a thing. Not sure how that affects things, i.e. how hard it was to get community service and in person experience this past year.
Are you saying I shouldn't re-apply this cycle? Because covid was a thing and I was unable to volunteer at a hospital due to covid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying I shouldn't re-apply this cycle? Because covid was a thing and I was unable to volunteer at a hospital due to covid.
Yeah. I'm not an adcom, but, just from observing on SDN, a Canadian reapplicant with zero community service, zero in person clinical, and the same median stats that yielded zero As in the previous cycle has no reason to expect a different result just because some areas of the prior application that were probably okay before are a little better now.

Why put yourself through it before addressing ALL of your self identified deficiencies???

You could roll the dice but you've identified the thing holding you back and haven't remedied it so its not worth it to reapply yet.