really odd question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WizardHowl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I'm an undergrad right now and I know that I really like dermatology (from shadowing). This is really weird, but my skin is just genetically really bad and I try taking care of it, does this look bad at all when applying for residencies (oh this guy sucks, he can't even take of his own skin). Also what should I be doing now to prepare myself very well for applying to dermatology, I honestly don't expect high step scores because I'm not a super genius, but I study really hard and do relatively well. Currently I'm doing cancer research and I hope to do full time research this summer. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

WizardHowl said:
hey guys, I'm an undergrad right now and I know that I really like dermatology (from shadowing). This is really weird, but my skin is just genetically really bad and I try taking care of it, does this look bad at all when applying for residencies (oh this guy sucks, he can't even take of his own skin). Also what should I be doing now to prepare myself very well for applying to dermatology, I honestly don't expect high step scores because I'm not a super genius, but I study really hard and do relatively well. Currently I'm doing cancer research and I hope to do full time research this summer. Thanks for your help!

Having an interest in dermatology because of your bad skin is as good of a reason as any. If you're very interested in dermatology, you can probably get involved with dermatology research now as an undergrad. Nothing looks better to program directors when applying for residency than sustained interest in the field (ie, 6 years of derm. related research experience).

fedor said:
Having an interest in dermatology because of your bad skin is as good of a reason as any. If you're very interested in dermatology, you can probably get involved with dermatology research now as an undergrad. Nothing looks better to program directors when applying for residency than sustained interest in the field (ie, 6 years of derm. related research experience).

thanks for responding! does it have to be derm research that looks good? The research I do right deals with cancer like lymphoma, or should I look for derm research. thanks!

WizardHowl said:
thanks for responding! does it have to be derm research that looks good? The research I do right deals with cancer like lymphoma, or should I look for derm research. thanks!
Doing solid research,publishing etc will certainly help even if its not specificly derm related.The big benefit of doing derm reserch is not only that it shows you have a real interest in this specialty but if done at your home institution/residency it will help you get to know influential people who can go to bat for you in the application process,often a critical factor.Lymphoma is a big subject of interest and research in dermatology so it is relevant.