Really crappy low step 1 (21X) and want to match OB. Plz help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ob2019

Reaction score
So I go to a low tier MD program and unexpectedly scored really low on Step 1. Are my chances killed for OB? especially in 2019 when it is becoming more and more competitive. I was going through a tough time during dedicated but I doubt programs will care about that. Will a boost in Step 2 help? Are there examples of cities and areas that might take someone with my stats? or highly unlikely? Appreciate any advice. I am also considering Peds (which will still be a struggle I know), but ob/gyn is high on my list.

Members don't see this ad.

US seniors, with 21- literally had a 87% match rate. Do well in school, build relationships, go talk to your home program and ask them what else you can do to match.

Peds literally had a 99% match rate for people with 210+

Your goals are modest, as long as you are open to location and community programs you should be able to match.

Reactions: 1 user
US seniors, with 21- literally had a 87% match rate. Do well in school, build relationships, go talk to your home program and ask them what else you can do to match.
View attachment 272976

Peds literally had a 99% match rate for people with 210+
View attachment 272975

Your goals are modest, as long as you are open to location and community programs you should be able to match.
Where do you get these graphics from?

Members don't see this ad :)
A super computer and my endless supply of neurons.

Or you could just google interactive charting outcomes.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
This year was a bit of a bloodbath in OB, from what I heard from friends- at least two people I knew with competitive apps didn’t match and were in SOAP. Hard to know if it was a fluke or indicative of the future

So I go to a low tier MD program and unexpectedly scored really low on Step 1. Are my chances killed for OB? especially in 2019 when it is becoming more and more competitive. I was going through a tough time during dedicated but I doubt programs will care about that. Will a boost in Step 2 help? Are there examples of cities and areas that might take someone with my stats? or highly unlikely? Appreciate any advice. I am also considering Peds (which will still be a struggle I know), but ob/gyn is high on my list.

It is certainly an obstacle to overcome, but also certainly not an impossible one. There are a few strategies to address your low score on Step 1. First will be to show that the result was an aberration and not at all indicative of your academic history and abilities. The way to accomplish this is to get as high a score as possible on Step 2 CK (and also Step 3 if you have time to take it before you apply) and to pass Step 2 CS on the first attempt, if you have not done so already. Additionally, show academic determination in all your rotations. Because Ob/Gyn is a primary care specialty, in addition to a surgical one, nearly all other specialties relate to it. In every rotation, make yourself known for asking questions; researching answers, unusual presentations and latest techniques; finding empathetic and personalized ways to educate patients and their families on the diagnoses and treatment plans, etc. Get involved in research if possible. In other words, take a holistic approach to the question of your academic talents and abilities via both learning and educating others.

Additionally, look to excel in the nonacademic aspects of the field. This includes, for example, building rapport with patients, bedside manner, communication with patients, their families and fellow medical staff, being a reliable team member who others enjoy and want to be around, developing your surgical skills, etc. In other words, develop all aspects to the best of your ability to shift the focus away from the low Step 1 score.

Accomplishing these goals would also help you with getting strong letters of recommendation and give you a rich collection of content to use for writing a compelling personal statement.

Reactions: 1 users
This year was a bit of a bloodbath in OB, from what I heard from friends- at least two people I knew with competitive apps didn’t match and were in SOAP. Hard to know if it was a fluke or indicative of the future
Do you know if they applied broadly or only to top programs?

It is certainly an obstacle to overcome, but also certainly not an impossible one. There are a few strategies to address your low score on Step 1. First will be to show that the result was an aberration and not at all indicative of your academic history and abilities. The way to accomplish this is to get as high a score as possible on Step 2 CK (and also Step 3 if you have time to take it before you apply) and to pass Step 2 CS on the first attempt, if you have not done so already. Additionally, show academic determination in all your rotations. Because Ob/Gyn is a primary care specialty, in addition to a surgical one, nearly all other specialties relate to it. In every rotation, make yourself known for asking questions; researching answers, unusual presentations and latest techniques; finding empathetic and personalized ways to educate patients and their families on the diagnoses and treatment plans, etc. Get involved in research if possible. In other words, take a holistic approach to the question of your academic talents and abilities via both learning and educating others.

Additionally, look to excel in the nonacademic aspects of the field. This includes, for example, building rapport with patients, bedside manner, communication with patients, their families and fellow medical staff, being a reliable team member who others enjoy and want to be around, developing your surgical skills, etc. In other words, develop all aspects to the best of your ability to shift the focus away from the low Step 1 score.

Accomplishing these goals would also help you with getting strong letters of recommendation and give you a rich collection of content to use for writing a compelling personal statement.
So uhh how is OP supposed to take USMLE Step 3 prior to applying for residency when you aren't allowed to schedule the test until after you graduate from medical school?

Do you know if they applied broadly or only to top programs?

Broadly is what I was told - and I know one of them added additional programs in Oct when they weren’t getting the interviews that were expected as well.

Broadly is what I was told - and I know one of them added additional programs in Oct when they weren’t getting the interviews that were expected as well.

It's hard to know what "broadly" means honestly. I've met people who thought they applied "broadly" and to them that meant 25 programs lol.

It's hard to know what "broadly" means honestly. I've met people who thought they applied "broadly" and to them that meant 25 programs lol.

That’s why I’m specifying that it’s hearsay! Though for my specialty, 25 would 100% be in the broad-to-overkill range.