Real talk : Salary for a d.p.t !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Of the 10 responses so far, 4 report a starting salary between $55K and $60K, and another 4 between $60K and $65K. Although the sample size is very small, in light of this info I wouldn't get into too much debt for the degree. And of course nobody knows how the Affordable Care Act will impact reimbursement rates.

I hope we get more responses so we can have a better idea of what to expect. Also, I'd be curious to see the numbers for the class of 2013, next year.

I would like to see some posts from PTs in the Pacific NW.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope we get more responses so we can have a better idea of what to expect. Also, I'd be curious to see the numbers for the class of 2013, next year.

It might be worth starting a new thread mentioning the survey in the title, so perhaps more people will find out about it. The fact that this thread was started by a user who has been banned might result in less people clicking on it and therefore less people finding out about the survey.

Maybe the survey could be posted to other sites, too, like RehabEdge, or the PT student facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/370244506354966/

http://physicaltherapy.rehabedge.com/default.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
I find that pre-PTs generally set a higher starting salary that PTs that have been in the business for a while. From what I've found, Azimuthal paints a pretty accurate picture of the current payment scale. Sure there are exceptions for those in management, business, home health, nursing settings etc.. But don't be all that surprised if the offer is under $30/hour starting off. Like stated here, also those that pay higher are often in regions with high costs of living.

So this should be taken into account when looking at the Medical type loans many students are taking on now.

Also consider that salary is based upon how much the PT can bring in in revenue. Most PT patients are under Medicare. If you look at history, much of PT's success has been associated with Medicare. So in the event of Medicare bankruptcy, how does this affect salary if that were to happen. << Private Insurance has historically followed the reimbursement trends of Medicare to set payments. Could a PT charge $120 for an evaluation to the elderly individual receiving retirement benefits? These are important questions many people aren't asking.

I started in 2010 and I believe my starting pay was about $30-31/hour. New grads can sometimes do better by working per diem... A hospital in my area offers new grads $32/hour and ALL per diems (regardless of experience) $43.75/hour.

2012. How nostalgic lol.

Reactions: 1 user
two friends of mine who just graduated from a very well regarded school are starting at 55kish. This is in the southeast, on the coast.

^^^ my realistic fear. I'm debt free so that helps but way lower than my bachelors level job earnings. Money isn't everything but that compensation is ridiculous for the education.

"on the coast" = probably a desirable location, so the supply of PTs would exceed the demand and drive down the pay.

two friends of mine who just graduated from a very well regarded school are starting at 55kish. This is in the southeast, on the coast.
Let me guess....Charleston? I'll bet that market is very saturated with MUSC being there.