real sad story! my story!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Martha1985

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys here is my sad story:
I am now 22 and my ever lasting dream is to be a cardio doctor! Where is my problem ? ok!
I don’t live is USA and my country there are no student loans beside to go to privet medschool means to pay each year about 20000$ and to be honest it means that average family would spend every year its monthly salary*10!!
Okey so what did I do in my life till now?
Medical school in my country needs u to have over 95% in ur high school and I had only 88%! Sad! Right?
So I went to medical institute hoping that one day I work as paramedic and study medicine when I get enough money
I now after graduating work as medical advertisement "medical sales " in one of the dumbest companies ever and cant get enough salary to live independent.
I want to work as medical tech but that covers nothing from my financial needs!
Do u know that I even started to study medicine alone!!! Sad and unreal?
I know but I love organic chemistry , I love anatomy, I even buy every book the regular medical student gets here and go through discussions wz them that they wont believe that I am not a medstudent!
Tell me what to do?! I feel lost and confused!
Do u think there is a chance for me to follow my passion?
I am old now! 22! Do u think it is OK? some of my friends tell me to quit, but i wont! you guys may understand me better than they do! i really need ur thoughts...:luck:
thanx all

Members don't see this ad.

Ok guys here is my sad story:
I am now 22 and my ever lasting dream is to be a cardio doctor! Where is my problem ? ok!
I don’t live is USA and my country there are no student loans beside to go to privet medschool means to pay each year about 20000$ and to be honest it means that average family would spend every year its monthly salary*10!!
Okey so what did I do in my life till now?
Medical school in my country needs u to have over 95% in ur high school and I had only 88%! Sad! Right?
So I went to medical institute hoping that one day I work as paramedic and study medicine when I get enough money
I now after graduating work as medical advertisement "medical sales " in one of the dumbest companies ever and cant get enough salary to live independent.
I want to work as medical tech but that covers nothing from my financial needs!
Do u know that I even started to study medicine alone!!! Sad and unreal?
I know but I love organic chemistry , I love anatomy, I even buy every book the regular medical student gets here and go through discussions wz them that they wont believe that I am not a medstudent!
Tell me what to do?! I feel lost and confused!
Do u think there is a chance for me to follow my passion?
I am old now! 22! Do u think it is OK? some of my friends tell me to quit, but i wont! you guys may understand me better than they do! i really need ur thoughts...:luck:
thanx all

Seems like you don't meet the minimum requirements for your medical schools and don't have the money to go somewhere else. My suggestion is to find something besides becoming a physician that you enjoy that you can do. There are many jobs out there that you might enjoy. Who knows, if you do a good job at medical sales and other jobs you will eventually earn enough money so that you can go to medical school in the future. :luck:

Who knows, if you do a good job at medical sales and other jobs you will eventually earn enough money so that you can go to medical school in the future. :luck:

Agree - spend the next decade earning a salary, investing well and perhaps when you are in your mid 30s (still not too old for med school) you will have enough to attend med school in another country where the requirements are more attainable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like you don't meet the minimum requirements for your medical schools and don't have the money to go somewhere else. My suggestion is to find something besides becoming a physician that you enjoy that you can do. There are many jobs out there that you might enjoy. Who knows, if you do a good job at medical sales and other jobs you will eventually earn enough money so that you can go to medical school in the future. :luck:

I agree on that one.:thumbup:

I agree with the above statements. I know where you are coming from being from another country myself. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have qualified for med school in my country due to my mediocre high school grades. I think that if you wanted to become a physician you should have had a higher motivation to get better grades in high school, but that's neither here nor there.
For me, the solution was very simple. I came to America. If you can find a way to immigrate to a country that has more opportunities like UK/Canada or US you might still have a chance. Good luck

I think that if you wanted to become a physician you should have had a higher motivation to get better grades in high school, but that's neither here nor there.
then i think you dont know where i live! i mean no hard work can get me what i want!! beside my grades are good indeed and i could go to any college i wanted except the one that i want!

any way thank u and thank u all guys

i hate my sales job ... i really do!

i will find a way to get the mony and to stop loosing time! i feel i am old enough and should start a.s.a.p

i will find a way to get the mony and to stop loosing time! i feel i am old enough and should start a.s.a.p

There are people who start med school at twice your age. Losing time is not an issue. But med school isn't cheap and fin aid is relatively non-existent for non citizens. If you can sock away a substantial sum in your first career, and invest well, you can make medicine your second career. Good luck.

So, where are you from?

I'm gonna guess the OP is from Australia. $5 that I'm right. ANy takers?

If I ever get a Doc that say "u should get ur medicine now" I am going to say "you must be from Australia" Learn to talk and type geez. I like to think this is a pre-professional forum not some Myspace blog.

22 is not old

what we have in the forum?

51?

and there're so many mid 30s doing their M1

and you think 22 is old

you should the other threads and you'll be inspired by them coz i was inspired when i know that some of them has heavier responsibilites than me (children)and yet still doing med sch

never give up a dream

Jiggler you are wrong! u lost ur 5$!!
I thought you all would know by yourselfs... Poor me is from Middle East
I love my country so much but I dont think that it loves me back to give me what I want!!
anyway, eggetart thank you so much your last words meant alot to me
low2doc thank you too !
really guys you were a big help
by the way i already have money ti cover my 1st and 2nd and wish i can get more soon.... now I feel i can get more time and i am not just a dreamer
thanx all

Members don't see this ad :)
I love my country so much but I dont think that it loves me back to give me what I want!!
low2doc thank you too !
by the way i already have money ti cover my 1st and 2nd and wish i can get more soon.... now I feel i can get more time and i am not just a dreamer
thanx all

is not a country. It's a huge region of the World. I kind of doubt that you are from Israel. But many students from the Middle East and African countries used to study in the former Soviet Union, and other countries of Eastern and Central Europe (Warsaw Pact). So try your luck in the rest of the World.

Good Luck

low2doc thank you too !
thanx all

OK. Well.. HMM.. IF you believe in Pangaea (sp?), that whole continent shift thing, I think Australia was tucked up in the Middle East region. So I'm not technically wrong, so I technically don't lose and technically get to keep my $5. So HA. I love technicalities.

And if I'm wrong, then fine. But I'm mailing it in $1 bills of Monopoly money. Because TECHNICALLy... i didnt' say which type of money. HA.

OH, and 22 is not to old. I'm 21 and won't start applying to med school untill I'm 23ish.

Martha,
You don't need to use exclamation marks extensively. It means-

An exclamation mark, exclamation point or bang, "!", is usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feeling. An exclamation mark is a punctuation mark, and generally marks the end of a sentence. A sentence ending in an exclamation mark is either an actual exclamation ("Wow!", "Boo!"), a command ("Stop!"), or is intended to be astonishing in some way ("They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!").

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode about that!!!:laugh:

I wouldn't let anyone tell you that you can't be a doctor. Although, I have no idea how to help you get there.

Only advice I can tell you that has served me well is: improvise, adapt and overcome.

Since this thread doesnt fit in the non trad forum I'm moving it to the middle east forums where I think you can get better answers.

I agree with those who said that 22 is not really very old. Don't give up. You have plenty of time left. :)
I know someone who went through several years of medical school in Russia. He then moved to America and had to start medical school all over again from the beginning. By the time he finished medical school for the second time and could actually work as a doctor, he was in his early 40s. If he was able to start over again at that age, I'm sure you can do fine even if it takes you several more years to be ready to go to med school. Good luck!

I agree with those who said that 22 is not really very old. Don't give up. You have plenty of time left. :)
I know someone who went through several years of medical school in Russia. He then moved to America and had to start medical school all over again from the beginning. By the time he finished medical school for the second time and could actually work as a doctor, he was in his early 40s. If he was able to start over again at that age, I'm sure you can do fine even if it takes you several more years to be ready to go to med school. Good luck!

I think I work with that doctor (I am sure there is more than one). He came from Russia and started from scratch.

Martha, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. Haha

Seinfield quote - Top of the muffin to you!!

i'm gonna guess you're from israel? i know how insanely hard it is to get into med school there. so a friend of mine from there went to study medicine in Romania. consider studying in europe, it's your best option.

hello!
eaven if u 're from a country from meddle east, no matter wich one, u can chouse to go abroad to study.... i made the same thing .....
we all know that u have to have an average more then 95... but if u can prove that your economical stage it;s not so high, are some countries in europe that they give you to study free...
u ;d go to some ambasades and ask about this....
:thumbup: good luck!

ps: if u need any more infomation, just ask me... i went in europe to study, too.

But many students from the Middle East and African countries used to study in the former Soviet Union, and other countries of Eastern and Central Europe (Warsaw Pact). So try your luck in the rest of the World
that is true, many students here and in other middle eastern countries do that beside it is so cheap but there are 2 problems:
they accept student what ever they had in their highschools and without any exams! if you have a "0" IQ they still can get to medical school there
- not all uni though-
the other problem is the language! I need to study in Russian and that is not easy beside then i have to study in English for specialties! if it was in French there wont be that big problem cause i speak it well...
so go there wont work for me cause i want to become a doctor not just to have MD certificate!
thanx any way

I wouldn't let anyone tell you that you can't be a doctor. Although, I have no idea how to help you get there.

Only advice I can tell you that has served me well is: improvise, adapt and overcome.
and your advice is taken! thanx

I agree with those who said that 22 is not really very old. Don't give up. You have plenty of time left.
I know someone who went through several years of medical school in Russia. He then moved to America and had to start medical school all over again from the beginning. By the time he finished medical school for the second time and could actually work as a doctor, he was in his early 40s. If he was able to start over again at that age, I'm sure you can do fine even if it takes you several more years to be ready to go to med school. Good luck
wow that is so encouraging thanx!

Martha, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. Haha
I do alot and still doing.
you know the "help me to help you" that is why I need help to help...heheh

Jenan i really need you to tell me how did u go? can u please send a privet msg?

that is true, many students here and in other middle eastern countries do that beside it is so cheap but there are 2 problems:
they accept student what ever they had in their highschools and without any exams! if you have a "0" IQ they still can get to medical school there
- not all uni though-
the other problem is the language! I need to study in Russian and that is not easy beside then i have to study in English for specialties! if it was in French there wont be that big problem cause i speak it well...
?

OK I left Ukraine 6 years ago I dont know how things are right now, but to say something like "they accept student what ever they had in their highschools and without any exams! if you have a "0" IQ they still can get to medical school there.." you have to really know what are you talking about because to make statements like this one is very ignorant, no I am not trying to offend you, but to get to medical school in Ukraine/Russia you have to be on the top of your high school plus take three entrance exams. I dont know maybe for the somebody who is coming from other country it will be easier as long as you pay money, but for the person who was born there it is very difficult.

Please do not post anything like that if you dont know. I really wish you luck in your studies. Personally I think everything is possible...Good Luck.

OK I left Ukraine 6 years ago I dont know how things are right now, but to say something like "they accept student what ever they had in their highschools and without any exams! if you have a "0" IQ they still can get to medical school there.." you have to really know what are you talking about because to make statements like this one is very ignorant, no I am not trying to offend you, but to get to medical school in Ukraine/Russia you have to be on the top of your high school plus take three entrance exams. I dont know maybe for the somebody who is coming from other country it will be easier as long as you pay money, but for the person who was born there it is very difficult.

Please do not post anything like that if you dont know. I really wish you luck in your studies. Personally I think everything is possible...Good Luck.

I am so sorry, I really didn't mean to offend you or any one here
I said above that what i said does not mean all russian medical schools
but I swear that the agents here - and I can give u contacts to believe me - post all kinds of stubid things like
" go to medical school in Russia with less than 1000$ and what ever grade you had in your highschool" and when I called them, they said that there are no exams or any tests - just pay and go -
any way I know that not all of univ there does that and maybe the universities that was meant in that kinds of offers are unlicensed in these countries...
good luck