Reads to understand current/future state of medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, since it is interview season I wanted to ask for recommendations on what to read to give me an overview of the current and future states of medicine, any problems in the healthcare field, potential solutions, etc.

Have you guys read anything interesting about these topics that you could point me in the direction of? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else willing to give some recs or discuss? SDN doesn't have much at all, and AASM doesn't seem to have readily available objective information on potential future climate of sleep medicine. I am interested in learning more about how home sleep studies, increasing regulatory requirements, requirement of fellowship training (creating decrease in supply of sleep physicians), and autoPAP are affecting sleep practices, particularly nonacademic practices in less populous areas of the country. I would be coming in through neurology. Thanks!

Is anyone else willing to give some recs or discuss? SDN doesn't have much at all, and AASM doesn't seem to have readily available objective information on potential future climate of sleep medicine. I am interested in learning more about how home sleep studies, increasing regulatory requirements, requirement of fellowship training (creating decrease in supply of sleep physicians), and autoPAP are affecting sleep practices, particularly nonacademic practices in less populous areas of the country. I would be coming in through neurology. Thanks!

Reading the professional journals in that discipline might be the best place to start. In particular, synthetic reviews of the research climate

Elisabeth Rosenthal just authored a book called An American Sickness that is pretty interesting. Ezekiel Emanuel wrote a book in 2014 called Reinventing American Health Care. These are just two that I've read that come to mind - but there are many, many books out there. I would probably advise against reading the threads on SDN. While there will be bias in any book or post you read, there are a lot of kids on SDN who flame hard but have no idea what they're talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
I would probably advise against reading the threads on SDN. While there will be bias in any book or post you read, there are a lot of kids on SDN who flame hard but have no idea what they're talking about.

Yeah this is why having a single thread like the following will help everyone.

SDN Collection of Healthcare Resources

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the responses! I inadvertently thought this was the sleep medicine forum but must have used the search wrong. Thanks anyways though :)