Re-apply or structured post-bacc first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetMeInnn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated spring of 2018 with a 2.88 sGPA and 3.01 cGPA. (Took the MCAT in spring 2018 also and got 506).
I made the mistake of applying that cycle to medical school, somehow I got interviews from my two in-state MD's but that's it, and got rejected post-interview. One told me I need to raise my sGPA(not surprising) and the other did not give me feedback. I did not do much in my gap year besides work and volunteer. (mistake).
The reason for my poor sGPA is not knowing what I want to do my first few years of college (took my 6 years to graduate) and during that time I did a lot of damage to my sGPA, but the last 2-3 years have been 3.6+ and I do not have a problem with science classes, it was just my own lack of effort and accountability at the time that brought me down.

I am currently doing a DIY post-bacc, taking 30 credits (between fall 19 and spring 20) planning to get a 4.0 (so far so good) and applying to medical school 2020-2021 cycle. I was wondering if I should also apply to post-bacc programs or a structured MHS program so that.
What are some of my options here?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated spring of 2018 with a 2.88 sGPA and 3.01 cGPA. (Took the MCAT in spring 2018 also and got 506).
I made the mistake of applying that cycle to medical school, somehow I got interviews from my two in-state MD's but that's it, and got rejected post-interview. One told me I need to raise my sGPA(not surprising) and the other did not give me feedback. I did not do much in my gap year besides work and volunteer. (mistake).
The reason for my poor sGPA is not knowing what I want to do my first few years of college (took my 6 years to graduate) and during that time I did a lot of damage to my sGPA, but the last 2-3 years have been 3.6+ and I do not have a problem with science classes, it was just my own lack of effort and accountability at the time that brought me down.

I am currently doing a DIY post-bacc, taking 30 credits (between fall 19 and spring 20) planning to get a 4.0 (so far so good) and applying to medical school 2020-2021 cycle. I was wondering if I should also apply to post-bacc programs or a structured MHS program so that.
What are some of my options here?
Ace your DIY postbac and there will be no need for SMP OR formal postbac.

Target your state MD schools and DO schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Ace your DIY postbac and there will be no need for SMP OR formal postbac.

Target your state MD schools and DO schools
Really? There’s no need for more? That’s great to hear.
What do you recommend I do during my gap year in case I don’t get into medical school?

Hi @Goro I hope that you are doing well during these chaotic times.
I just wanted to update you and hear you opinion on my journey if you don't mind please.
So I completed a 30 credit (6 over summer, 12 over fall and 12 over spring) upper biology courses and managed to get a 4.0 throughout.
I had asked you whether I should do a DIY postbacc or structured one and I finished the DIY and I am planning to apply this cycle.
I also accepted a position at Touro Nevada MHS program (2020-2021) just to increase my chances of staying in my home state and so I am doing something productive in my gap year as my chances of getting in via the application cycle aren't that great to begin with.
Do you think I am doing the right thing in this scenario?
Thank you.

Hi @Goro I hope that you are doing well during these chaotic times.
I just wanted to update you and hear you opinion on my journey if you don't mind please.
So I completed a 30 credit (6 over summer, 12 over fall and 12 over spring) upper biology courses and managed to get a 4.0 throughout.
I had asked you whether I should do a DIY postbacc or structured one and I finished the DIY and I am planning to apply this cycle.
I also accepted a position at Touro Nevada MHS program (2020-2021) just to increase my chances of staying in my home state and so I am doing something productive in my gap year as my chances of getting in via the application cycle aren't that great to begin with.
Do you think I am doing the right thing in this scenario?
Thank you.
Do the Smp AND apply. You' ll find some DO schools to give you some love. Avoid the ones on my Bad boy list.

Thank you for your feedback I will do that!