Re-Application Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I'm following the advice on these forums and gearing up to be a re-applicant next cycle. I'm "preparing for the worst and hoping for the best" I suppose.

I was hoping you guys could comment on the changes I will be making to my app:

1- I have little "non-clinical" volunteering, so I began volunteering at an animal boarding house on the weekends (cleaning kennels, socializing the dogs etc...) I'll be doing this for ~5 hours every weekend for the next year or so. I really love animals, so this doesn't even seem like a chore! I actually enjoy it.

2- I'm working full time at a medical device company, helping develop a new orthopedics device (I just started this job and was thinking about sending an update letter to schools about it)

3- I'm starting to work with a charity my job runs (the finance guys at the company go to inner city schools and speak about financial literacy, I convinced them to let me tag along). This would only be like 5 hours or so a month since they only go once a month.

My GPA & MCAT are competitive, I don't see any need to do an SMP or post-bacc

Is there anything else you guys would suggest doing to refine my app?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

So I'm following the advice on these forums and gearing up to be a re-applicant next cycle. I'm "preparing for the worst and hoping for the best" I suppose.

1- I have little "non-clinical" volunteering, so I began volunteering at an animal boarding house on the weekends (cleaning kennels, socializing the dogs etc...) I'll be doing this for ~5 hours every weekend for the next year or so. I really love animals, so this doesn't even seem like a chore! I actually enjoy it.

2- I'm working full time at a medical device company, helping develop a new orthopedics device (I just started this job and was thinking about sending an update letter to schools about it)

3- I'm starting to work with a charity my job runs (the finance guys at the company go to inner city schools and speak about financial literacy, I convinced them to let me tag along). This would only be like 5 hours or so a month since they only go once a month.

U should be getting an acceptance this cycle. Is your interviewing ok?

U should be getting an acceptance this cycle. Is your interviewing ok?
I believe so, i'm really practicing so I ace my next one.

Just to clarify, i'm not saying "Yes, I'm going to re-apply next cycle"

My question was more along the lines of

"Am I doing the right things to prepare just in case"

If I don't get in anywhere, I will be returning to University to get a masters, then re-apply after.

Both of my interviews were at low-yield schools NYMC & GW.

This is confusing to me because I think my app is pretty competitive, no listed non-clinical service (I do have some that I spoke about in my interview), but I do have ~600 hours of sustained clinical volunteering/experience.

I'm trying to figure out why the higher yield schools aren't looking at me. I have a hunch it's because they are more service-based, but i'm not sure. The fact I have 7 rejections thus far is a bit harrowing when I see most other SDNers have 3-4

Members don't see this ad :)

Just to clarify, i'm not saying "Yes, I'm going to re-apply next cycle"

My question was more along the lines of

"Am I doing the right things to prepare just in case"

If I don't get in anywhere, I will be returning to University to get a masters, then re-apply after.

This is confusing to me because I think my app is pretty competitive, no listed non-clinical service (I do have some that I spoke about in my interview), but I do have ~600 hours of sustained clinical volunteering/experience.

I'm trying to figure out why the higher yield schools aren't looking at me. I have a hunch it's because they are more service-based, but i'm not sure. The fact I have 7 rejections thus far is a bit harrowing when I see most other SDNers have 3-4
You have 6+ months . Let the process sort itself out, school selection would be the only other thing I would look at. Volunteering never hurts.

Any results yet?

I've heard many of the low-yield schools divert many applicants to the wait list with the expectation that many applicants will withdraw when given another acceptance.

Once you get an interview, they're not low yield anymore!

Is there a reason someone might be waitlisted at a school even though their interview went well?

My interview at GW went well, my interviewer told me I was doing well and that he was surprised at how articulate my answers were to his questions. Getting slammed with a waitlist after that really took the wind out from under me.

Any results yet?

I've heard many of the low-yield schools divert many applicants to the wait list with the expectation that many applicants will withdraw when given another acceptance.
Waitlist at GW,
My NYMC interview is coming up.

I tried to make it clear at GW that they were by no means a "safety school" and that I really loved the place. but I really got the vibe they were expecting me to go somewhere else. My interviewer told me that I would probably get a few acceptances this cycle and to "really think about" where I want to go.

How many reach schools did you apply to? Maybe you underscored how appealing your app was and now schools like GW are scared to take you but not enough of the higher up schools got your application? Just one theory

Is there a reason someone might be waitlisted at a school even though their interview went well?

My interview at GW went well, my interviewer told me I was doing well and that he was surprised at how articulate my answers were to his questions. Getting slammed with a waitlist after that really took the wind out from under me.
The committee can have a different view of the application than the screener (or the interviewer).

Reactions: 2 users
How many reach schools did you apply to? Maybe you underscored how appealing your app was and now schools like GW are scared to take you but not enough of the higher up schools got your application? Just one theory
This would have kept him from getting an interview, not an acceptance.

I applied to 22

Breakdown:

1-2 High reach schools
(Uconn since im OOS & Yale)

5-6 Reaches
(BU, Colombia, Rochester, Dartmouth)

7-8 "Matches"
(Quinn, Einstein, Hofstra, etc..)

4-5 "Low Yield"
(GW,NYMC,UVM etc..)

Any results yet?

I don't think any school would do this...would it not look bad when your school matriculates so so much less acceptances and you had to resort to the WL to fill seats? I think the selling point and pride of a top notch school is the high % of matriculation from acceptances...it shows that the school is a top choice for their applicants.

I am asking because I am curious as to what others think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Hey everyone,

Teaching moment: just because your interviewer says nice things to you, it does NOT mean you'll get an accept. Interviewers are trained to be nice.

Teaching moment: just because your interviewer says nice things to you, it does NOT mean you'll get an accept. Interviewers are trained to be nice.
That seems a bit disingenuous, I'd rather them be brutally honest so at least I know to make the appropriate changes to my app/interviewing skills.

I guess not everyone can be as to-the-point as @Goro :laugh:

I don't think any school would do this...would it not look bad when your school matriculates so so much less acceptances and you had to resort to the WL to fill seats? I think the selling point and pride of a top notch school is the high % of matriculation from acceptances...it shows that the school is a top choice for their applicants.

I am asking because I am curious as to what others think.

Well that's precisely why they do it. If they limit the number of acceptances and expand the number of waitlisted applicants, they can precisely control their acceptance to matriculant ratio. Schools like GW and NYMC will never have to resort to a WL to fill their class - but they understand that they are subject to great variability because they are not top tier schools, so many of their acceptances may withdrawal their apps. If they didn't have a large waitlist, they'd potentially face under filling a class

Well that's precisely why they do it. If they limit the number of acceptances and expand the number of waitlisted applicants, they can precisely control their acceptance to matriculant ratio. Schools like GW and NYMC will never have to resort to a WL to fill their class - but they understand that they are subject to great variability because they are not top tier schools, so many of their acceptances may withdrawal their apps. If they didn't have a large waitlist, they'd potentially face under filling a class

The email they sent me did note
"Many students come off the waitlist and are offered an acceptance every year"

Makes sense...I didn't think that coming off WL would count in the original acceptances offered.

My 2 cents if you're interested. I was a re-applicant this cycle that went from having two interviews/no acceptances last cycle and now having 5 interviews so far, including to several high tier schools. I have 1 acceptance, and am still waiting to hear back from my other October interviews.

I think it's smart to be actively thinking about improving your app. I was like you; my grades and MCAT were already competitive, it was the rest of my app I needed to shore up. My improvements were: gaining additional leadership experience, research experience, and community service towards others. I probably started these things in November of last app cycle (although I got my research position for the gap year), and I focused on activities I enjoyed (coaching, teaching, etc...). In short, I added activities for the sake of my enjoyment, not necessarily just to get into medical school, although of course, I knew I would use these to demonstrate my commitment to the process. I also had additional shadowing hours in specialties I did not have before, including primary care, which I believe some schools liked that.

Also, I think a big change I made was nailing down my narrative. I re-wrote my personal statement and some activities, and I talked extensively with my letter writers about my story, and why I want to go into medicine. I believe my first cycle, although I was fiery and passionate, I was a little naive and not as articulate. I made sure to change that when I applied this year, and even more importantly, I made sure that I was consistent in all of my interviews and that I had my narrative nailed down to a tee. I've had 6 interviews so far, between this cycle and last, and the difference between my first interview and my interview this week is astronomical. It is important, in both your writing, and your interviews, to be articulate and concise, as I'm sure you know, but this was something I was lacking last year.

That's basically a summary of what I changed, and how it led to more success for me, although it doesn't cover everything. Let me know if you have any other q's, and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I have interviewed at a few on your list, and have been accepted to one of them so far. All of my non-MMI interviews touched heavily upon community-level work that I've done. My volunteering experience is community based, working directly with people, and non-clinical actually. A big chunk of my professional experience is also in community level public health. These activities were received very favorably and fit into the overall narrative that I gave with respect to my motivations.

I don't know what you put in your personal statement, so I'm not sure what activities might best accompany it. You can keep the animal volunteering gig if you like it, but I would definitely add something else that can be a substantial contribution with a longitudinal commitment.

My 2 cents if you're interested. I was a re-applicant this cycle that went from having two interviews/no acceptances last cycle and now having 5 interviews so far, including to several high tier schools. I have 1 acceptance, and am still waiting to hear back from my other October interviews.

I think it's smart to be actively thinking about improving your app. I was like you; my grades and MCAT were already competitive, it was the rest of my app I needed to shore up. My improvements were: gaining additional leadership experience, research experience, and community service towards others. I probably started these things in November of last app cycle (although I got my research position for the gap year), and I focused on activities I enjoyed (coaching, teaching, etc...). In short, I added activities for the sake of my enjoyment, not necessarily just to get into medical school, although of course, I knew I would use these to demonstrate my commitment to the process. I also had additional shadowing hours in specialties I did not have before, including primary care, which I believe some schools liked that.

Also, I think a big change I made was nailing down my narrative. I re-wrote my personal statement and some activities, and I talked extensively with my letter writers about my story, and why I want to go into medicine. I believe my first cycle, although I was fiery and passionate, I was a little naive and not as articulate. I made sure to change that when I applied this year, and even more importantly, I made sure that I was consistent in all of my interviews and that I had my narrative nailed down to a tee. I've had 6 interviews so far, between this cycle and last, and the difference between my first interview and my interview this week is astronomical. It is important, in both your writing, and your interviews, to be articulate and concise, as I'm sure you know, but this was something I was lacking last year.

That's basically a summary of what I changed, and how it led to more success for me, although it doesn't cover everything. Let me know if you have any other q's, and good luck!
We are almost identical in our application experience, this is wierd.

The committee can have a different view of the application than the screener (or the interviewer).

so rule of thumb: don't take interviewer comments seriously.

especially since apparently, bad comments can often lead to accepts (they were seeing how you respond to pressure), and good comments can lead to waitlists/rejections (committee overrides interviewer)

Thanks for taking the time to write this out!

Fingers crossed I wont have to re-apply, but this really helped. I've been really articulating my motivations for medicine lately, and I think I'll be much more clear when touch on them at my next interview. I enjoy working with my hands and building things, so I applied to habitat for humanity, I think goro and others hit the nail on the head. I really need to get more experience with underserved populations, and the community at large. I'll keep the animal shelter gig because I do love animals, I'll probably end up volunteering at the shelter on Sundays and doing habitat for humanity on Saturdays

Great! Glad it helped. One last tip for your next interview: try to boil down why medicine into one or two sentences, and make sure it is damned personal (no one else should be able to produce a similar phrase). When I focused on that one phrase, articulating my experiences and tying it back was much easier. Best wishes to you!