Re-applicants for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiMcatAcer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, as the cycle is about ending and the light is turning dim, let's stick together and support each other for the coming year. Who is in with me for the next application cycle.
Pur your name down.

DesiMcatAcer

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I won't reapply next cycle, but the one after that (submit AMCAS in June 2007)... do I count? (Wow, I'm gonna be like almost middle aged by then....)

Im here with you and im DESI as well lol. Damn the desi stigma that we all become doctors--they do not realize the struggle of becoming a physician.

I get so depressed reading how everyone has so many interviews :confused:

Hopefully we can be in that same thread in a few months :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. This will be my third time applying. Lots of luck to everyone! :luck:

Does anyone else feel a bit depressed about all this...?

:thumbdown: :confused:

I am also with you and I am also a desi. This was my first time, I had an interview but my chances are very low so i'll be applying next year.

kpatel said:
I am also with you and I am also a desi. This was my first time, I had an interview but my chances are very low so i'll be applying next year.

I have one interview coming up, im crossing my fingers :)

Keep your head up K, you just might get in or get off a waitlist, hopefully you won't have to be a part of this thread :)

Let the DESI stereotype live, MD or Bum :)

DrVanNostran said:
I have one interview coming up, im crossing my fingers :)

Keep your head up K, you just might get in or get off a waitlist, hopefully you won't have to be a part of this thread :)

Let the DESI stereotype live, MD or Bum :)

Good luck!

mustangsally65 said:
Me too. This will be my third time applying. Lots of luck to everyone! :luck:
I'll wish you luck, Sally, least of all because the rest of us seem to be Indian (yes, that includes me)...

jebus said:
I'll wish you luck, Sally, least of all because the rest of us seem to be Indian (yes, that includes me)...

We should just create a medical school for indian people who didnt get in, oh wait is that called Ross? lol

Before I get flamed, I got into SGU and might head to the carribeans, so no, im not hating on them:)

Members don't see this ad :)
DrVanNostran said:
We should just create a medical school for indian people who didnt get in, oh wait is that called Ross? lol
OK, that was funny. I'm not Indian, but I'm Persian so the same stereotypes apply. I may reapply this year or the year after depending on what SMP I get into. Now if only my LOR writers would get with the program.

chaeymaey said:
OK, that was funny. I'm not Indian, but I'm Persian so the same stereotypes apply. I may reapply this year or the year after depending on what SMP I get into. Now if only my LOR writers would get with the program.

:laugh: I completely forgot about my persian and arab colleagues....funny thing is one of my great grandparents in Iranian....so im just a walking stereotype....hummus in one hand, daal in the other...

gujuDoc said:
Ok, I'm Desi and love both persian/mediterranean food and Desi food. Yum yum :D

If you end up visiting or interviewing in chicago, send me a tell...We have some amaaaazing Indian and Persian Restraunts :)

Ok thats it, im heading to get some food ;)

gujuDoc said:
Chaey,

First off, I want to say good luck with getting into an SMP and then med school.

Secondly, I had a quick question for you if you happen to see this. I tried PMing you about it, but your box was full.

Do you ever see Shrike (your former MCAT instructor) anymore??? If so, do you happen to know what happened to him??? I was just curious because he hasn't been on here in ages. Tell him I said thanks for his help. His advice in the subforum is awesomely helpful.
A few things:

1) lol about your new message, guju. :D (She really is a girl!!!)

2) I would also like to find out what ever happened to Shrike.

3) Back on topic: to those who are reapplying, I know it is discouraging and frustrating (I've applied four times myself!), but if med school is what you really want to do, please don't give up. Find out what you can do to improve your app for next year (call the schools that rejected you and ask), and try to do better next time. It's never too late until you decide to give up. :luck: to everyone on waitlists and re-applying. :)

P.S. I am not Indian, but I love love LOVE Indian food, and I'm planning my first trip to India this Christmas. :)

DrVanNostran said:
If you end up visiting or interviewing in chicago, send me a tell...We have some amaaaazing Indian and Persian Restraunts :)

Ok thats it, im heading to get some food ;)

persian (not that it's that important), reapplying...i was borderline at looking at chicago schools to add to my ever growing list but you've got me convinced

QofQuimica said:
P.S. I am not Indian, but I love love LOVE Indian food, and I'm planning my first trip to India this Christmas. :)
Make sure to visit the Taj Mahal. Honestly, once I saw it everything else became an afterthought.
Also, "Ek bada bisleri", add it to your lexicon. (Aquafina is good, too, but stay away from funky looking bottles of water lest you want to get sick.)
Food: Too much goodness to list. There are so many good (and cheap!) restaurants. You'll enjoy your gastronomic discoveries.

PariPari said:
persian (not that it's that important), reapplying...i was borderline at looking at chicago schools to add to my ever growing list but you've got me convinced

If you end up at RFUMS (where I hope to end up) you will be surrounded by persians. I just picked up some Rezas :D Some of the best persian food Ive had.

I hate this damn application process, food is the only thing I have to look forward to...

QofQuimica said:

As the previous post said, watch out for those funky colored bottles of water lol. I plan on heading there this winter as well, that is if I dont get in this cycle. Ill be reapplying for the fourth time this cycle, if not its time for the caribbeans hehe

gujuDoc said:
Q,

Check your PMs about point number 2. Oh and not to go off topic in this thread but Dr.VanNostran,

Not for interview purposes, but I'll be Chi-town this summer. I can't wait. Don't quote me on the spelling, but "DEVON Street" here I come. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love Chi-town. We went there like 9 years ago and it was sooooooo much fun. One of my old family friends is getting married, so we are going to go for a few days in the summer. He's a DO in Internal Medicine and ER medicine, and really down to earth.

Haha DEVON is the best, Im there every weekend to get some food. Make sure and i meam MAKE SURRRE you head to Tahoora for some sweets and their ever fabulous samosas hehe.

Im assuming your freind went to Midwestern? Just down the street from me. I got accepted there, but way to close to home lol.

gujuDoc said:
Nah he went to DO school in Florida and moved to chi town during residency. He went to Nova Southeastern University for Med school.

Oh nice a few people from my undergrad went there, they loved it. I hate this, Im typying my HIPAA paper but I cant concentrate....

DrVanNostran said:
As the previous post said, watch out for those funky colored bottles of water lol. I plan on heading there this winter as well, that is if I dont get in this cycle. Ill be reapplying for the fourth time this cycle, if not its time for the caribbeans hehe
:laugh: thanks for the warning, guys. :)

QofQuimica said:
A few things:

1) lol about your new message, guju. :D (She really is a girl!!!)

2) I would also like to find out what ever happened to Shrike.

3) Back on topic: to those who are reapplying, I know it is discouraging and frustrating (I've applied four times myself!), but if med school is what you really want to do, please don't give up. Find out what you can do to improve your app for next year (call the schools that rejected you and ask), and try to do better next time. It's never too late until you decide to give up. :luck: to everyone on waitlists and re-applying. :)

I'll be here as well this next year. This will be my fourth time doing this.

jebus said:

:laugh: Sometimes I feel like the only white girl on some parts of SDN.

I can't even indulge in food because I was put on a diabetic diet in November. You all need to enjoy some of that good food for me! I really miss doughnuts and other sweets, especailly when I'm depressed. ;)

mustangsally65 said:
:laugh: Sometimes I feel like the only white girl on some parts of SDN.

I can't even indulge in food because I was put on a diabetic diet in November. You all need to enjoy some of that good food for me! I really miss doughnuts and other sweets, especailly when I'm depressed. ;)

Sweets are overrated, so dont worry about it :)

I'm so surprised to hear this stuff about Chicago! I had no idea there were Persians and other groups there. Y'all make is sound like a fun place. Maybe I'll get into Loyola MAMS or RFU MS in Biomedical Science, and I can hang out there. Do you know if those schools are in good areas?

chaeymaey said:
I'm so surprised to hear this stuff about Chicago! I had no idea there were Persians and other groups there. Y'all make is sound like a fun place. Maybe I'll get into Loyola MAMS or RFU MS in Biomedical Science, and I can hang out there. Do you know if those schools are in good areas?

oh yeah, there r persians in chicago. there's even at least one persian restaurant that i remember from college called reza's (actually i know there's more than 1, just can't remember the others)

chaeymaey said:

Alchemist is correct, a looot of persian places to eat downtown or nearby.

Secondly, RFUMS is not in chicago, lol, its in NOOOORTH chicago, like near wisconsin, a 40ish min drive north of the city. Loyola, is not with the medical school, but the lake shore campus.

If you do move to chicago, you will have a good mix of ppl. I love the city :)

Reapplying next year...I think I was WAY to naive this year. I'm considering buying a Harley and dinking across the country to take the sting out of this year's rejections. Then will be spending upcoming year strengthening my application (taking Spanish classes, volunteering, etc.). I'll admit that for a few days the Caribbean schools looked really appealing.

I'm reapplying, taking the MCAT again in April. 3rd time's a charm. I actually designed a tee shirt that says that. I plan on wearing it to the MCAT. Apparently, my breakdown is what held me back this cycle. I overachieved too much on verbal and bio, which made my physical score look even worse. Oh well. At least it wasn't something like my GPA which would be much harder to fix, or volunteer work which would mean I'd need to take more time off. So Im OK for reapplying.

I thought I would include myself in this thread. I was VERY disappointed to be turned down from my state school this year. This will be my second application cycle and after reading some of you stories I feel like a newby. Anyways, I made alot of mistakes last application cycle, which I hope to rectify this time around with clinical experiences, appying early, and committee letter (I waited till after the deadline to request one and was told they weren't giving out anymore for this cycle. I have heard that it looks bad to appply without a committee letter if your schools has a pre-med advisor). Hopefully we will all be successful next year. Despite the complaints of many waitlisted applicants, I much would rather have 4 waitlisted schools than none.

MileHigh, don't feel too bad. I felt horrible too until I looked at the AMCAS website. Turns out percentage-wise, more applicants from CALIFORNIA get into their state schools than applicants from Colorado. So chin up - we're statistically harder to get into than California. If you really want to feel better, you should read the Colorado class of 2010 thread in the allo subforum. Looks like in two or three years Colorado's instate tuition won't be any cheaper than a private school.

Reapplication is lame! Why can't they see our shining golden potential the first time around?

This is depressing, but I'm glad we're all reapplying.

wow am surprised to see so many people are going to be applying with me again next year...well, I wish let's all make it in this cycle

Since we are all reapplying, where is everyone thinking about reapplying to? And where will they apply differently? I only ask b/c I applied to 5 schools last time around (big mistake) and I was thinking about applying to 15 schools this time. Here is my tentative list:

Albert Einstein of Yeshiva
Drexel University
Loyola University Chicago (Stritch)
Georgetown University
George Washington University
New York University
St. Louis University
Temple University
Tulane University
Universityof Chicago (Pritzker)
University of Colorado
UT Galveston
UT Houston
UT San Antonio

Any suggestions? I was hoping to apply to schools that are fairly forgiving of early undergraduate GPAs.

MileHighCajn said:
Since we are all reapplying, where is everyone thinking about reapplying to? And where will they apply differently? I only ask b/c I applied to 5 schools last time around (big mistake) and I was thinking about applying to 15 schools this time. Here is my tentative list:

Drexel University
Georgetown University
New York University
St. Louis University
Temple University
Tulane University
University of Colorado
UT Galveston
UT Houston
UT San Antonio

Any suggestions? I was hoping to apply to schools that are fairly forgiving of early undergraduate GPAs.

A lot of your schools seem to be more competitive, but then again, I don't know your stats. Although you do have some lower ranked schools also. Ideally, you want a mix.

I'm thinking about applying to pretty much the same schools I did this time around, maybe adding a few extras. In total, I'll probably apply to about 20 schools this time.

MileHighCajn said:
Drexel University
Georgetown University
New York University
St. Louis University
Temple University
Tulane University
University of Colorado
UT Galveston
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
I would add:
SUNY - Upstate
Albany
Jefferson
Medical U of Ohio
Penn State
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Pretty much every private school and a few publics that you choose carefully. (For instance, Louisville screens for 2ºs and they sent me one this year but I didn't complete it because I'm out of state and it was really late in the application cycle. I really regret it now because the South seems like a lot fun... and it seems like a great school.)

I'll add more to this list later.

DesiMcatAcer said:
wow am surprised to see so many people are going to be applying with me again next year...well, I wish let's all make it in this cycle

I wish the same. On monday, I found out that WVU put me on their waitlist-the only place i interviewed at.

Another re-applier here. I guess since someone else has started with listing schools I might as well

Schools from my old list that I'm dumping
Albany
Brown(Too much of an unknown.)
Harvard
Hawaii
MCW

Schools I'm re-applying to
Dartmouth
Tufts
UMass
UVM

Not sure
Drexel(well they haven't rejected me yet.)

I haven't gotten to far with the new list. Definitely applying to BU.(I got the unintentional tour which I've kind of written about. Liked what I saw of course.) UNECom is pretty much definite but I need to shadow a DO to get a real feel for it. I'm not sure of UConn, 25% out of states makes is sound like a bit of a long shot.(But not as much as Hawaii was obviously.) I was thinking of maybe Keck and Case Western but I need to look into them to see what their rankings are. I am trying to stay mostly north east but I know I need to apply broadly.

This is a conundrum that I have been dealing with. I have not had any love from any of the schools I applied to this year. I have already begun to contact them and most of them will talk only after this class matriculates.

I am going to wait until I get my April MCAT score to make a decision about this coming cycle.

I plan to re-apply, it just depends on when.

My tentative list for next application cycle

U of M, Twin Cities
RFU
Iowa
Medical College of Wisconsin
Temple
WVU

I will apply to more schools but I will decide them after I get my April scores.

Dave_D said:
Another re-applier here. I guess since someone else has started with listing schools I might as well

Schools from my old list that I'm dumping

Brown(Too much of an unknown.)
I was considering Brown, b/c of the GPA for accepted students until I realized that only about 10 students are allowed in a year from outside the BA/MD program. Considering that 2000 or so apply, your chances aren't very good.

I was planning on applying to only CU this year. Last year I applied to every private school. While I received secondaries from many of them, I only had an interview offer from CU. I would rather spend every minute I'm not working having fun, instead of writing essays for secondaries when I know that I'm just wasting my money.

Ill be applying to all the chicago schools regardless, but If I score between a 29-31 ill be adding a crap load of schools. 2 masters, 3.6 undergrad, and a 4.0 graduate gpa will hopefully land me oneeeeeeeeeeeee acceptance. I just hope that darn verbal score goes up...

i had problems with my verbal. one book that helped me a lot was the arco verbal book. i liked their explanations of the answers, the kaplan reasoning didnt really make sense to me a lot of the times. and in the end i boosted my verbal by 3 pts

ismelllikepoop said:
i had problems with my verbal. one book that helped me a lot was the arco verbal book. i liked their explanations of the answers, the kaplan reasoning didnt really make sense to me a lot of the times. and in the end i boosted my verbal by 3 pts
do you mind saying from wat to what?