"Ranks of Pharmacists Shrink as Job Demands Grow"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeGuy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a couple links based on quantitative analysis:
http://pharmacymanpower.com/
Link to Press Release
Link to Report

Gotta love how increasing pay can contribute to shortages by increasing the amount of part-time workers.

The study found, based on a survey of nearly 1500 practicing pharmacists, that _40%_ are >55 years of age.

Members don't see this ad.

SomeGuy said:
Gotta love how increasing pay can contribute to shortages by increasing the amount of part-time workers.

That's the law of unintended consequences in action. Plus most newly minted pharmacists are women who as a group put in less lifetime hours than their male counterparts, and the proportion of female to male pharmacists is only predicted to grow. But that's fine by me, i need the overtime to pay back these student loans...it's a nice feeling to be needed :love:

SomeGuy said:

This is one reason why I am entering pharmacy, the ability to work part time. I plan on working overtime for the first few years until we are out of all debt but our house, and into the house we want to stay in for years. Then I plan on only working 3 - 4 days a week. Pharmacy is great. At current rates, you can work 32 hours a week and make over 80 grand a year. Find a place that will let you work 3-12's and you are up over 90 grand only working 3 days a week. What a great profession!

Oh yeah, I am in it for patient care also. :smuggrin: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeddevil said:
This is one reason why I am entering pharmacy, the ability to work part time. I plan on working overtime for the first few years until we are out of all debt but our house, and into the house we want to stay in for years. Then I plan on only working 3 - 4 days a week. Pharmacy is great. At current rates, you can work 32 hours a week and make over 80 grand a year. Find a place that will let you work 3-12's and you are up over 90 grand only working 3 days a week. What a great profession!

Oh yeah, I am in it for patient care also. :smuggrin: :laugh:

yeah where did u hear this from? or are you working in a pharmacy right now?

Aznfarmerboi said:
yeah where did u hear this from? or are you working in a pharmacy right now?[/QUOTE
You don't hear it - you calculate it. 100000$ ( current average in retail/40h) x 32h/40h=80000$ or 100000 x 36h/40h=90000$

Aznfarmerboi said:
yeah where did u hear this from? or are you working in a pharmacy right now?

Where did I hear what? You need to be a bit more specific on what you are asking.

Yes, I am currently working, as an intern. It is pretty basic math.

Jeddevil said:

Unlike the hard stuff at our school:

If there's 2 mEq/mL in this vial, how much do I need to draw up to get 17 mEq?

( inside joke :laugh: )

Jeddevil said:
Where did I hear what? You need to be a bit more specific on what you are asking.

Sorry, i meant what state. . where?

Aznfarmerboi said:
Sorry, i meant what state. . where?

ARIZONA - PHOENIX METRO

konkan said:
Aznfarmerboi said:
yeah where did u hear this from? or are you working in a pharmacy right now?[/QUOTE
You don't hear it - you calculate it. 100000$ ( current average in retail/40h) x 32h/40h=80000$ or 100000 x 36h/40h=90000$

I think I might have read a post on this forum about the part time pay not being as high as full time pay. I hope your figures are right. I wouldnt mind working three days a week and making 90K.

soul21 said:
konkan said:
I think I might have read a post on this forum about the part time pay not being as high as full time pay. I hope your figures are right. I wouldnt mind working three days a week and making 90K.
they're not
but it is a nice thought

the math doesn't exactly work like that

ultracet said:
soul21 said:
they're not
but it is a nice thought

the math doesn't exactly work like that

Point out where the math is flawed! The going retail rate here is $49.50/hr. A pharmacist working only two days a week with me right now makes the same rate as full-time guys. She is not docked pay for working part time. They still need her.

You should be able to do the math. Let me break it down for you. You multiply the amount of hours you work a week by the rate of $49.50/hr, then multiply that by 52 weeks in a year. It really is pretty easy math.

We are due for a pay raise out here also. Wags has had that rate for over a year now, about time to pony up more.

Jeddevil said:
ultracet said:
Point out where the math is flawed! The going retail rate here is $49.50/hr. A pharmacist working only two days a week with me right now makes the same rate as full-time guys. She is not docked pay for working part time. They still need her.

You should be able to do the math. Let me break it down for you. You multiply the amount of hours you work a week by the rate of $49.50/hr, then multiply that by 52 weeks in a year. It really is pretty easy math.

We are due for a pay raise out here also. Wags has had that rate for over a year now, about time to pony up more.

Wags has 8 hour work days, so 3 days a week is 24 hours. 24 * 52 * 49.50 = $61,776 plus you don't get any benefits working 24 hours a week. At CVS, the work days are 10 hours and they pay full time benefits when you work at least 30 hours a week. Still, 30 * 52 * 49.50 = $77,220. Making 90K for only 3 days work a week does not compute.

dgroulx said:
Jeddevil said:
Wags has 8 hour work days, so 3 days a week is 24 hours. 24 * 52 * 49.50 = $61,776 plus you don't get any benefits working 24 hours a week. At CVS, the work days are 10 hours and they pay full time benefits when you work at least 30 hours a week. Still, 30 * 52 * 49.50 = $77,220. Making 90K for only 3 days work a week does not compute.

Let me put the quote that started all this mess for you.

"Find a place that will let you work 3-12's and you are up over 90 grand only working 3 days a week."

I did not state you can do this at Wags. I did not state you can do this and receive full benefits. I pointed out Wags to show that you will still make the same rate if part time, something someone asked above.

There are places that work 12's, especially in the grocery store market. The point of my first post was to point out the great flexibility and ability to still make decent money working part time.

By the way, at many CVS's here you work 14 hour days, and they only pay you something like $10 more for overtime. They will have one pharmacist on for the entire 8am-10pm opening hours. They work 3 days and call it a week.

Jeddevil said:
dgroulx said:
Let me put the quote that started all this mess for you.

"Find a place that will let you work 3-12's and you are up over 90 grand only working 3 days a week."

I did not state you can do this at Wags. I did not state you can do this and receive full benefits. I pointed out Wags to show that you will still make the same rate if part time, something someone asked above.

There are places that work 12's, especially in the grocery store market. The point of my first post was to point out the great flexibility and ability to still make decent money working part time.

By the way, at many CVS's here you work 14 hour days, and they only pay you something like $10 more for overtime. They will have one pharmacist on for the entire 8am-10pm opening hours. They work 3 days and call it a week.

yup, that's what my partner does!! she works 3 times a week (12hours shift) and over 90 grand...by the way, its ny state...if u are wondering...

Female pharmacists only wanting to work part time wreaks havoc in an epidemic proportion to my staffing issues.

Mang.. I need to find some more male pharmacists!!!! :mad:

ZpackSux said:
Female pharmacists only wanting to work part time wreaks havoc in an epidemic proportion to my staffing issues.

Mang.. I need to find some more male pharmacists!!!! :mad:

Well....what can I say SIR! Female pharmacists can be some of the MOST flexibile pharmacists you can have. Yes...we work part-time during the course of our careers, however, so have my male colleagues (one - who likes to go to the race track, one who works another job, one just doesn't care for pharmacy & one who shares parenting responsibility with a SO). This constitutes fully 1/3 of the male staff - the SAME proportion as the female staff!

As for any part-time individual - you need to request their flexibility ahead of time with plenty of notice. We have other lives & fortunately they don't revolve around our jobs. My years of hospital experience was the scheduling was always the big stick.

And yes...money is only the reward up to a certain level - the time off, the regularity & predictability of time off and the staffing pattern all become more important as your experience grows.

I love the fact that so many people want part time hours -- makes sure that there will still be a shortage for when I graduate next year. I love getting overtime pay!

At my current hospital, they said it's the first time ever we are fully staffed with pharmacists. We have 3 part time moms who are great, especially when someone calls out unexpectedly so they'll come in to solve the staffing issue. We also have 2 semi-retired older lady pharmacists who do the morning cart fill and Pyxis checks.

Where in Dallas are you, ZpackSux? My cousin keeps trying to get me to move down there since the housing market is much lower and more affordable than the other areas I want to live.

I will give Zpack this acknowledgement as a DOP...those of us who work part-time are "expensive" administratively, at least here in CA. We get full benefits at 24hr/wk & benefits make up 30% of our total compensation.

But...he still gets a really flexible person as a trade off, just not a person who will be dangled by a short rope.