Ranking of different MSTP programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanley

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Could anyone please let me know where I can find an appropriate ranking of different MSTP programs? Is the US-News Report that rank schools by research a good one to go by?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I would say that USNews is a good ballpark figure. The only caveat is for individual departments or labs, which may be ranked significantly higher at certain institutions than the USNews rankings indicate.

You will also notice that virtually all top 25 schools have MSTPs. The grant process for obtaining them is quite competitive.

Rankings of MSTP's become somewhat useless because it really depends on the individual. I would base it on these factors:

1) US News research med school rankings
2) US News graduate school department rankings
3) MSTP integration, especially for the specific department you're interested in
4) Of course, gut feeling, which will eventually supercede any rankings you see.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's best to ignore the US News rankings. They might be useful as a starting point if you really have no idea which 20-30 schools are the most well-respected, but beyond that I don't think they are particularly helpful for comparing MSTPs. There are so many subjetive features at individual schools that make the list a poor indicator of actual quality, even with respect to MD programs; I would argue that this is even more the case for MSTPs. What really matters is finding a place where you can be comfortable for 7-8 years; US News can't tell you that. Just go online and actively research the schools you might be interested in.

I agree that US news is a starting point and I think the next step is to ask your research advisors where the strong labs are for your field of interest. I'd say this is going to be the most important thing for you (and me) because you want to have some good options when choosing your PhD lab.

I agree with the previous posts. I ranked the schools according to research interests. At each school I was accepted to, I asked myself, "are there a lot of researchers doing stuff i'm interested in and who i would consider doing research rotations/thesis work for". Believe it or not, there were some schools where there weren't too many people in whose research I wasn't interested.

Ultimately, after MD/PhD training, you will mostly likely be applying to RESIDENCY programs so med school rankings in USNews is not a completely moot issue. Especially, if rankings are important to you consider not only the overall rank but also the "Residency Director's Rank." That will give you a rough indication as to how residency directors may potentially view you when you apply in 4+x years.

AndyMilonakis said:
Ultimately, after MD/PhD training, you will mostly likely be applying to RESIDENCY programs so med school rankings in USNews is not a completely moot issue.

Yeah it is. No residency director is splitting hairs between MSTPs from top-25 institutions. Even below that it's probably not going to matter a whole lot. There's alot more things to evaluate a candidate on...

I agree it won't matter a whole lot Neuronix. But it's gotta matter at least a tiny little bit. Sure, there are many more aspects to an application. And where you went to school is a part of that application. This may be an issue where a certain type/location of residency program receives a lot of MSTP applications...e.g., Brigham and Women's Hospital Pathology.

Now, is this factor significant enough to really influence a person's choice as to where they will spend the next 7-8 years of their life? Depends on the person.