Rank your Favorite Pre-requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure I am alone when I say I like general biology the least :eek:

Chemistry > Organic Chemistry > Physics > Physiology >MicroBio > Biology > BioChem

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure I am alone when I say I like general biology the least :eek:

Chemistry > Organic Chemistry > Physics > Physiology >MicroBio > Biology > BioChem

I'm sure there are quite a few people who feel the same. I know I disliked everything in gen bio except the evolution section :laugh:

Microbio > Gen Chem > Anatomy > Physiology > Organic Chem > Biochem > Biology > Physics

have not taken physics yet.
Ochem > Physiology > Biology > Math > Anatomy> Micro > Gen Chem (yes I dislike gen chem, I think it was useless, cant relate it to biology as much as ochem can; also my professor gave mulitple choice on his exams, I cant say I hate gen chem 2 though.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Favs:

Ochem > Anatomy > Gen Chem > Biology > Math > Physiology > Micro

Grades:

Ochem > Gen Chem > Anatomy > Biology > Micro > Math > Physiology

I guess that makes sense :) :cool:

Biochem>OChem>Physiology>Micro>Gen Biology>Gen Chem>Anatomy>Analytical Chem>Physics

Organic Chemistry at the top and Physics at the VERY bottom. :)

Loved micro and organic. Hated physics and calculus.

The first day of class when the professor announced there would be very little math in Organic I, the heavens opened up and angels sang songs of joy. :rolleyes: It was beautiful.

ochem>calculus>micro>anatomy>gen bio>>>>>>>>>gen chem>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>physics

Biochem, physics, and college chem are top three. The rest are just "meh". Analytical chem was pretty cool too, I don't think many schools require it though.

Physiology, Anatomy, Bio top 3 for me.

Organic Chem, Gen Chem, Physics at bottom.

I am surprised at the amount of people who liked OChem!!!

i was actually pretty surprised about how many people liked OChem too!

I wonder why? I liked it a lot.. but I didn't think anyone else did :p

I actually preferred my liberal arts classes more than science...I swear I'd be a lawyer if it wasn't for pharmacy.

English II (great professor) > Western History > Golf:D > Organic Chemistry > Calculus > Biology I and II > Macroeconomics > General Chemistry > PreCal/Trig > Physics (taking now, hate it)

There are other random prereq classes but don't really care to list them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually preferred my liberal arts classes more than science...I swear I'd be a lawyer if it wasn't for pharmacy.

English II (great professor) > Western History > Golf:D > Organic Chemistry > Calculus > Biology I and II > Macroeconomics > General Chemistry > PreCal/Trig > Physics (taking now, hate it)

There are other random prereq classes but don't really care to list them.

I forgot about English-- that would probably be one of top 3 =)

Golf... I like it :cool:

Favorites:

Mammalian Physiology, Organic Chem 1 & 2, Biochem, [Pathogenic] Microbiology, Biometric.

Least:

Econ, Physics, Calculus.

Favs:
Calc 1 & 2, Physiology 1 & 2, Gen Chem 1 & 2, Biochem, Genetics
Least Favs:
Physics 1 & 2

Calculus was my hardest class but I hated Physics the most.

I liked Microbiology, Anatomy, and Physiology.

1. Organic Chemistry 2
2. Microbiology
3. Organic Chemistry 1
4. Human Anatomy and Physiology 2
5. Introduction to Biology 1
6. General Chemistry 1
7. General Chemistry 2
8. Human Anatomy and Physiology 1
9. Calculus 1
10. Fundamental Physics 2
11. Introduction to Biology 2
12. Fundamental Physics 1

i'm giving props to tommyvoltage for his ranking system...

Mine goes, 1 being the best and 10 being the worst:

1. Intro to Latino/Latina studies
2. Biochem
3. Gen chem
4. stats
5. A&P
6. Calc
7. physics
8. micro
9. english
10. Organic chem(I lost soo much hair from that class)

ya, I don't get it... My hypothesis: ppl who really love(imagine a heart picture here) organic chem must really have hated gen chem.

Hi all , I started to make up a topic but I saw this one and I don't think itll be too off topic as it's about pre-requisites of pharmacy studies .

I've posted here before asking what it takes to become a pharmacist etc . I am currently studying to obtain my BA degree in psychology , however , after I posted the topic and said okay I'll stick to psych only . I can't help but find myself back over here reading about what other pharmacy students go through , why they want to be a pharmacist etc etc . I even read up on things online . So a huge part of me is still with this field . I've sat around thinking why and I do have an answer to that however I have some questions...

What are the pre-requisites in becoming a pharmacy student and if any of those pre-requisites are offered in my college , would it be worth taking while my major is in psychology ?

Hi all , I started to make up a topic but I saw this one and I don't think itll be too off topic as it's about pre-requisites of pharmacy studies .

I've posted here before asking what it takes to become a pharmacist etc . I am currently studying to obtain my BA degree in psychology , however , after I posted the topic and said okay I'll stick to psych only . I can't help but find myself back over here reading about what other pharmacy students go through , why they want to be a pharmacist etc etc . I even read up on things online . So a huge part of me is still with this field . I've sat around thinking why and I do have an answer to that however I have some questions...

What are the pre-requisites in becoming a pharmacy student and if any of those pre-requisites are offered in my college , would it be worth taking while my major is in psychology ?

I have a B.A. in Psychology, and I didn't run into problems because of that. I usually recommend people to pick the major you enjoy and finish up the pre-reqs.

I liked how my psychology courses related to almost every other class I took. We learned a bit of chemistry, biology (brain functioning), drugs used to treat mental disorders, sociology, etc. I felt like the all encompassing nature of the major was a huge plus.

Get some pharmacy experience, so you can get a in depth look into the career.

browse individual school requirements: http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm

Pre-req table by school

Last edited:
You and I spoke at length, Lovin'.

I have both a BA and a BS in Psychology (With my second degree much more focused on the scientific study of Biopsychology) and I found it actually to be quite a plus on my application and in interviews thus far.

Understanding the human psyche at an advanced level truly can help in matters of Pharmacy, especially in retail. And you can go off on a specialized track and work in, say, addictions therapy even w. only a PharmD and not a PhD. Darryl S. Inaba is an excellent example - He started the VERY famous Haight-Ashbury Detox Clinic in San Francisco and is a graduate of USC's SoP, and is also a California Drug Abuse Counselor (CDAC), as am I.

In fact, my CDAC is what got me into all of this Pharmacy trouble in the first place! LOL :)

Anyway, Pharmacy is a venerable pursuit with a lot of promise of stability and exciting working conditions, and already I can tell that's true. I was doing intake and what amounted to note-taking (Never to break HIPAA of course) for psychiatrists and psychologists at in-patient facilities in my doctorate program before completely making the change to Pharmacy.

Anyway, good to see you back - Just make sure you get yourself on track. Taking OChem and everything else while also pursuing your Psychology BA will be challenging. Perhaps a minor in Chemistry so you can tack on a few classes and get credit for them?

^ Yes I remember you ! I tried to stay away but even though I'd temporarily put pharm out of my heart somehow I ended back over here peeping quietly and would sneak off back to the psych forums lol. How do i find out if my college offers a minor in chem ? I know they have many math and chem and other science classes . Like chemistry , physics , pre-cal , calculus , biology etc . If i took many of those types as open electives and elective sciences / maths would that help ? I want to get a feel for it as much as possible . Between psych and chem/cal/bio . I've played with those throughout HS and loved them all . So it's like my heart stays stuck between the two . However , shadowing a pharmacist would help even better . it also still leaves the ooportunity of me staying with psych if I find out that pharm isn't for me , which i doubt that will happen :p

The fact I took , calculus , algebra , trig , biology , physics and chem , in HS does that look even better ?

I have a B.A. in Psychology, and I didn't run into problems because of that. I usually recommend people to pick the major you enjoy and finish up the pre-reqs.

I liked how my psychology courses related to almost every other class I took. We learned a bit of chemistry, biology (brain functioning), drugs used to treat mental disorders, sociology, etc. I felt like the all encompassing nature of the major was a huge plus.

Get some pharmacy experience, so you can get a in depth look into the career.

browse individual school requirements: http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm

Pre-req table by school

Thanks those links are very helpful , I'll keep reading up on them , I am happy to hear that having a B.A. in Psych won't be a problem . Yea I am finding out alot of my classes are related too .

physics>chem>ochem>a&p>bio

I hated the physics problem work, but the concepts are so fascinating to me. Electromagnetic induction :eek: insane

1. Economics... just kidding.

1. Ochem
2. Physics
3. Physiology
4. Chem
5. Micro

physics>chem>ochem>a&p>bio

I hated the physics problem work, but the concepts are so fascinating to me. Electromagnetic induction :eek: insane

Physics I was pretty straight forward. Its easy to picture a ball rolling down the hill etc.
However, Physics II was a b*tch b/c I can't picture voltage, watts, electrons charges etc. in my head so I didn't really know how to approach any of the problems. :(
So I had to withdraw and take a W in Calculus based physics II TWICE (yes TWO Ws :eek:) and settle for a BA in chemistry (even though I have ALL the other courses require for a BS in Biochemistry) and take the easier more water down algebra base physics II. :(

Favs:

Ochem > Anatomy > Gen Chem > Biology > Math > Physiology > Micro

Grades:

Ochem > Gen Chem > Anatomy > Biology > Micro > Math > Physiology

I guess that makes sense :) :cool:

Anatomy and Physiology>Organic Chemistry....and I don't feel like ranking the others lol. But those are my two favorite classes.

biochemistry, molecular bio, anatomy

Last edited:
Calc > Chem > Ochem > Physics >>> Hated Bio :( and biochem was boring.

But after I got over the Biology blockage, I did great in AP and Microbiology.
I liked Pchem also, but it was not a Prereq for Pharmacy.

I know I am weird but the chicks love me.;)