pre-requisite situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doh1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one C- on my transcript in one of the core pre-reqs. Most pharmacy schools say C or better on their website while some others say "C- is not acceptable". Some pharmacy schools were willing to overlook this but I am nervous that others wont. Should I be worried? I know its only one class but I would HATE to have to retake it and may consider going somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

Which class did you get a C- in?
Orgo 2 :(
I'm also trying to figure out if some of the schools would accept biochem in place of orgo 2. It might be more relevant and useful to have done prior to starting pharmacy. Jumping right into orgo 2 after having taken it so long ago might be difficult. This would definitely be a deal breaker.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may or may not depend on the school, but the easiest way to get your answer would be to call and ask the school. Then you're getting your answer straight from them.

To piggyback off of Saisri_PharmStdnt's answer, I would also get their response to you in writing. It would be very unpleasant for you to find out right before matriculation that you are denied because of a change/misunderstanding of policy.

Would a school ever over look a C- if you did better in a more advanced course? I’m just curious if something like that has ever happened before

Would a school ever over look a C- if you did better in a more advanced course? I’m just curious if something like that has ever happened before

Yes. I’ve heard of students getting C- in molecular Biology then go on and get an A in advanced molecular.

Organic Chem II doesn’t really have an advanced course to make-up for the C-. Sure Biochem is taken after but it is in no way correlated to your core understanding of Organic Chemistry. You need to cold-call each program you apply to and get direct feedback on each of their protocols.

Yes. I’ve heard of students getting C- in molecular Biology then go on and get an A in advanced molecular.

Organic Chem II doesn’t really have an advanced course to make-up for the C-. Sure Biochem is taken after but it is in no way correlated to your core understanding of Organic Chemistry. You need to cold-call each program you apply to and get direct feedback on each of their protocols.
What if in orgo 1 I got the C- in and I recieved an A for Orgo 2?

Would a school overlook that or is orgo 2 not seen as an advanced course? What about chem 1 & 2?

Organic II is merely a continuation of your first semester of the course (just like Gen Chem although that’s a bit more integrated). Again, you’ll have to specifically contact the programs and get the final word from each of them.

Newer established institutes may work with you while more stabilized ongoing programs may easily screen you out due to the cut-off grade requirements.

Has anyone been accepted into Pharmacy school with one or 2 overlooked C- grades?
you don't have to say which school. I just want to know if its possible

Has anyone been accepted into Pharmacy school with one or 2 overlooked C- grades?
you don't have to say which school. I just want to know if its possible
Don't worry. You will get in. They need the money.