[Rank Order List]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:cool:

Last edited:
Explanations added to my ROL...

Members don't see this ad :)
My list was heavily influenced by location, then learning style. It was also very dependent on whether or not the program could give me experience to ultimately work in academics.

1. UC Irvine: +location, amazing involved faculty, ultrasound powerhouse, 3 years, great bedside teaching, great teaching/leadership opportunities; +/- not a true county experience, low census (but corresponding small class size), older ED, moderate number of procedures, - not a lot of peds experience, cannot go into fellowships at 4 yr programs

2. Loma Linda: +great peds experience, exposure to almost every subspecialty, amazing involved faculty, great international opportunities, 3 years, low COL, county and academic experience; -riverside, cannot go to fellowships at 4 year programs 20-22 10 hr shifts/month

3. UCLA - OV: +great teaching and leadership opportunities, great international opportunities (Bali), very lifestyle friendly (14-16 12 hr shifts/month on EM), great friendly group of people; +/-new intern year with more EM and less wards, 4 years; -COL

4. Stanford: +great teaching, research opportunities, amazing mentors, great pay, 3 sites - county, community, academic; +/- COL, -3 sets of ancillary staff,

5. Highland: +awesome people, county patients and county experience with lots of teaching ("GI rounds," teaching shifts), great people, 8 hr shifts (20/month), paid international experience, center for social EM, rapid raises approx 70k by 4th year; +/- 4 years, -1 mos unpaid leave at end of 1st year (they love it but I worry about expenses)

6. UC Davis: +mixed county/academic/community, low COL, great people;

7. USC: +amazing trauma/path, 4th years here are beasts!; +/- 4 years; -learn a lot on your own, kind of scary, bad hours

8. UCSF-Fresno: +great wilderness medicine, affordable living, great experience, great parking!; +/-4 years

9. University of Nevada: +county experience, learn how to bill, low COL, lots of people will visit you in vegas, 3 years; -few women residents, hierarchical

10. UCSF-SFGH: +Area of distinction is very cool, love the bay area, awesome interviews, amazing intelligent people, 2 sites with different traits relatively close to each other, beautiful VA, teaching shifts at Moffit, big on active learning for conferences, +/- 4 years, - I wouldn't want to live in SF, COL, not a great vibe from the people, 23 8-hr shifts per month!, 3-4 sites all far from one another with difficult/expensive parking

1. Stanford – My unexpected top choice, due to its abundance of resources, 3 hospital curriculum w/ nice mix of academic/community/county training models, faculty expertise in several subspecialites, 3+1 fellowship model, location, and great resident benefits.
2. UCLA-Olive View – My home program, hate to rank it only number two. Awesome program leadership, great research opportunities and emphasis on producing very well rounded residents. Great mix of County and Academic experiences. Only major downside is the driving distance and LA traffic.
3. Utah – An unexpected winner. Pretty much everything was great here, from faculty to residents to the teaching. Almost number one or two, but Salt Lake is not where I want to end up later in life, and my husband has more opportunities in LA or SF.
4. UCSF – Got a really bad rap on interview trail, and I still can’t figure out why. So they currently split trauma airways – way too overblown by my fellow medical student IMO. Otherwise, solid program with great faculty, lots of resources, strong program leadership who care about building a strong program. And its San Francisco.
5. USC – Everyone agrees that the training here is amazing. I shadowed here for a full day and saw some crazy things that I hadn’t otherwise seen in 3 months of ER rotations. Great autonomy and pathology, but practice model not at all like what you’ll see in your typical ER. Spanish skills are great to develop, but I don’t want to speak it 90% of the time. Again, a great program that some people would be very happy at.
6. UC Irvine – Seemed like a great place, but a little small for my taste.
7. OHSU
8. UCSD
9. Maricopa
10. New Mexico

Man... there seem like there are a lot of west coast people on SDN these days... :D

Man... there seem like there are a lot of west coast people on SDN these days... :D

I know! I was just thinking about all the Cali love in this thread.

I just added explanations to my ROL in my previous post. Hope it helps

Made my list primarily based on location, with SoCal>NoCal and then on program length with 3>4 years.

1. Harbor-UCLA
2. UC Irvine
3. UCLA- OV
4. USC
5. UC Davis
6. UCSF

1. Uconn
2. Drexel
3. Detroit rec.
4. Henry ford
5. Mt. Sinai
6. Allegheny
7. Geisinger
8. Maimonides
9. Jps/fort worth

Great info in this thread. Thanks for sharing everyone. MS3, EM bound here. Fun watching where you guys are at. Cheers

I honestly believe that Emergency Medicine is one of those fields where you really cannot go wrong. I interviewed at too many places (more than 20) and walked out of every interview (except 1) thinking that I would be very happy there. I only ranked 20 because I did not want to pay extra to rank more... I will be happy no matter where on my list I match. I know it sounds dumb, but I definitely made my list based on "feel". I will try to expound on each place at some point...

Pitt (UPMC)
Carolinas
Duke
Advocate Christ
Maricopa
Madison
Maine
UAB
U of Illinois - Peoria
Allegheny General
University of Chicago
Grand Rapids
Kalamazoo
Denver
Cook County
U of Michigan
Las Vegas
Resurrection
Christiana
Regions

Only 9 more days!!!

I honestly believe that Emergency Medicine is one of those fields where you really cannot go wrong. I interviewed at too many places (more than 20) and walked out of every interview (except 1) thinking that I would be very happy there. I only ranked 20 because I did not want to pay extra to rank more... I will be happy no matter where on my list I match. I know it sounds dumb, but I definitely made my list based on "feel". I will try to expound on each place at some point...

Pitt (UPMC)
Carolinas
Duke
Advocate Christ
Maricopa
Madison
Maine
UAB
U of Illinois - Peoria
Allegheny General
University of Chicago
Grand Rapids
Kalamazoo
Denver
Cook County
U of Michigan
Las Vegas
Resurrection
Christiana
Regions

Only 9 more days!!!

I'm surprised to see that Christiana is not getting more love this year. If SDN popularity is any measure it was THE place last year.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see that Christiana is getting more love this year. If SDN popularity is any measure it was THE place last year.

It's an awesome residency and may have been my #1 if not for the fact that DE kinda sucks--concrete suburbia

the difference in love for Christiana on last year's threads vs this year and was surprised...know people there...great place. Kinda funny how these things work.

I'm surprised to see that Christiana is not getting more love this year. If SDN popularity is any measure it was THE place last year.

SDN popularity is anything but "any measure". The phrase "crap shoot" comes to mind.:D

Was watching this thread for a while, but too superstitious to post until today.

1. University of Michigan
2. MSU/KCMS
3. Detroit Receiving
4. Case Western/Metro Health/Cleveland Clinic
5. WSU - Sinai Grace
6. Synergy, Saginaw, MI
7. Gesinger
8. Albert Einstein, Philly
9. Lehigh Valley

We'll see what happens Thursday!

While I'm waiting to find out where I matched (so excited- ahhh!!!!), I decided to write up some of my thoughts about the programs at which I interviewed- I added them to my original post on the previous page.

I just want to emphasize again that these are my personal opinions and I don't mean offense to anyone. I found past years' ROLs and explanations very helpful so I wanted to contribute too. Please feel free to correct me if I messed up any facts.

Through this process, I really came to appreciate that every EM program I got to visit provides excellent training. Those of us going into this specialty are very fortunate since there really is no bad choice.

Good luck to everyone- less than 48 hours to go!

i figured I'd post this in this thread instead of start a new one, but can someone explain something to me. I was looking for clerkships (i'm an MS3) and at residencies, and I don't get how this works. For example, Carolinas is a program I can apply to, and UNC is another program I can apply to, but if you apply to UNC you also rotate through Carolinas, so what is the difference between applying to those two separately?

and same thing with UNC and Wake?? I'm so confused.

i figured I'd post this in this thread instead of start a new one, but can someone explain something to me. I was looking for clerkships (i'm an MS3) and at residencies, and I don't get how this works. For example, Carolinas is a program I can apply to, and UNC is another program I can apply to, but if you apply to UNC you also rotate through Carolinas, so what is the difference between applying to those two separately?

and same thing with UNC and Wake?? I'm so confused.

Wake is a site in Raleigh, NC affiliated with UNC. Wake Med has no association with Wake Forest. I know... the name is confusing.

Wake is a site in Raleigh, NC affiliated with UNC. Wake Med has no association with Wake Forest. I know... the name is confusing.

what about carolinas though? that's a separate program, but when I go to the UNC website I see that you rotate through carolinas?

what about carolinas though? that's a separate program, but when I go to the UNC website I see that you rotate through carolinas?

Carolinas Medical Ctr has a loose academic affiliation with UNC medical school wherein UNC medical students can rotate there. They are two separate EM residencies (UNC is in Chapel Hill, CMC is in Charlotte). Both are quite good.