Rank Lists!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzyerin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand if some of you don't want to post your actual rank list until after the 23rd (in case PDs are wandering around this site, though I tend to believe they have better things to do) - but I am wondering who's thinking what/where at this point. Plus, we really need to liven up our board!

So here's my food for thought - certified my rank list on 1/31.

Brown, Stony brook, UMass, UConn, Ohio State, Lehigh Valley, Baystate, Tufts, North Shore, LIJ

What about the rest of you?

Members don't see this ad.

My ROL is still definitely a work in progress, so kudos for finishing and certifying so early!! This is what I'm thinking at this point:

Brigham
Beth Israel Deaconness
Tufts
BU/BMC
Brown (would be a lot higher, but if possible I'd like to be in Boston)
Umass
Baystate
Columbia
Mt. Sinai

I keep flip-flopping on the first two - BIDMC is a better fit in terms of my interests/personality, but Brigham is Brigham, and the residents seem very happy there as well... Thoughts, suggestions? Help??! :eek:

I started my sub-i in Medicine (required) and I didn't want to have to think about a ROL while suffering though this month...

I think your list looks good, NYCGirl. With the top as either Brigham or BI, I don't think you can go wrong. I personally don't want to go to Boston, which is why Tufts is low on my rank list. Just not a Boston person. I'm a NYC girl like you- but I didn't want to stay and do residency here in the City. I had a hard time with my 2-5 - I loved Ohio State's program, but I'd be leaving my family and support system to go there.

Time is flying!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll put my list out there, since it is after the 23rd. I hope more people will add to this. Last year, when I was applying to places, I was interested in what people put first. So, this is for the next class of ob/gyns.

I applied to 24 places and decided to interview at 15 of them. I ranked 14 of them. I liked every single one of the places I ranked, and would be happy at number 14. After every single one of these interviews, I would call people and say "I love this place". Everyone got tired of hearing this after about the 7th or 8th time. :laugh: However, eventually you can't rank all of the places number one, so here is my list and the why. I hope this is helpful.

1. UNC-Chapel Hill-i loved this place: everyone was nice, they are doing advanced laparoscopic procedures, good research, etc. Can't really explain it more, this is my "instinct/gut" choice.
2. Hopkins: suprisingly everyone was super nice, I went out to a bar with the residents after our interview dinner (which was after the interview day). They were really interesting. Great name.
3. Magee-pittsburgh: i kept flip flopping b/w magee and hopkins. i really liked both places. Seemed to be doing great and interesting research here. Only 1 guy in the program.
4. Yale: interesting research, students i met from here loved the program, have a bigger percentage of men in the program.
5. UAB: great surgery numbers, seemed that almost everyone was married, birmingham is not the most happening town.
6. Emory-did a month here, love the residents and staff, love atlanta-it's fun and affordable. I felt there was a little bit too much autonomy at their grady hospital. I think their new chair is going to do great things. Their REI fellowhsip was put on probation (not really their fault, none of their graduated fellows have recieved NIH funding for a research project). They should get the fellowhsip back soon. They don't have a gyn-onc fellowship, however I really liked the gyn-onc attendings. Very good teachers.
7. Oregon-Hands down the most nice. The residents even had craft night once a week (i thought that was really cute-their guy residents did not participate though) Their program director is awesome. Oregon is just really far from where the rest of my family is.
8. Brigham: Probably one of the best as in name goes.
9. Beth-israel-would have ranked it closer to the top but I do not really want to live in Boston.
10. Northwestern: great program, however I would rather work with a more disadvantaged population.
11. Univ of Washington-recently lost their entire REI departement and the fellowship. Heard some things on the interview trail from their students-however, you never know if they're true or not.
12. Univ of colorado-spent a week there for a conference (not medicine related). I would love to ski there, however it is so dry there my skin could not take it. They don't have an REI felloship, however one of their 4th years matched into REI.
13. Duke: are having a lot of change, i think it will be an awesome program in a couple of years.
14. Brown-Great program, however they do a lot of medicine clinics. They do almost 6 months of half-a-day medicine clinics once a week their intern year. This would be a good thing for most interns-learning to treat DM, HTN, etc. I've done 4 years of 1/2 a day, once a week internal medicine clinics already in med school, so I would rather not do that many more medicine clinics.

Good luck everyone. I can't wait until March 17th. Maybe we'll all have good luck since it is St. Patty's day. :luck:

Interested in staying in texas so here goes :idea:

1. University of Texas Southwestern - Parkland
2. University of Texas Houston - Hermann
3. Christus ST. Joseph's
4. University of Texas Houston - LBJ
5. UTMB Galveston
6. Baylor college of medicine
7. UTMB Austin

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND MAY WE EACH BE HAPPY IN OUR FUTURE ENDEAVORS :p

HAPPY St. PATRICK'S DAY! :luck:

Aargh, just typed out a long, detailed reply and SDN just lost it all!! So here is the abbreviated version...

I had a REALLY tough time deciding my top two - I have to be in Boston, so it made it easier to prioritize the rest based on location. Below are my justifications for the final list:

1) Beth Israel Deaconess:
Really good fit for me personally - community feel with supportive residents, program director, attendings, nurses (!! a huge thing after being in NY!!). Really strong surgical teaching with great numbers, no fellows to compete with - you get into the OR from day one intern year, because there is virtually no floor scut. Hospital runs very smoothly. I'm interested in international health/public health, which is the chair's (Ben Sachs) primary interest. I also liked their curriculum, with Ultrasound, ER, and General Surgery rotations during intern year. As you can tell, surgical experience was very important to me.

2) Brigham:
Can't beat the name, but from speaking with current residents there and the other applicants I met who did rotations there, it really seems like a better place to do fellowship than residency. Very fellow-heavy, esp. in Onc where they take the interesting cases, PGY3 retracts, PGY1 never sees an OR as they are on the floor. Very Onc heavy (4 rotations total!), so this can be a plus or minus depending on your interests. Residents and grads say that ultrasound is a weakness. But the residents there are very happy, love each other, love the attendings. Overall advice they seemed to give was that if you know you want a competitive fellowship and/or academics, this is a no-brainer - for more well-rounded overall clinical training and interest in being a generalist, other places may be better for you.

3) Tufts-NEMC:
Very diverse pt population, very happy residents, good surgical experience, nice hospital. But Brown would be my number 2 or 3 if not for the location!

4) BU-Boston Medical:
Recruited some of the best teachers from Brigham and BIDMC (Dr. Heffner the chair, Dr. Lee-Parritz, Dr. Jodi Abbott) so they are a definite strength. Dr. Heffner has very exciting plans for the program, and she's really committed to resident teaching. REALLY diverse pt popn, low socioeconomic status, lots of immigrants, tons of interesting exotic cases. The diversity for me was a real plus. But the program had historically been a slump in terms of reputation and numbers, and is definitely in transition (for the better)

5) Brown:
So fantastic - Brown and BIDMC were the two places where across the board, EVERYONE had really great things to say about the programs. Huge OB and surgical volume, nice happy residents, gorgeous hospital, lots of good didactics. Would definitely be higher if not for the location.

6) UMass:
Happy, social residents, program directors/chair really committed to resident teaching with lots of interesting didactics. Worcester???

7) Baystate:
Nice hospital, nice residents, pretty well-connected chair, great benefits with a low cost of living.

8) Columbia:
My home institution, definitely MFM heavy with some internationally known powerhouses, good OB cases. Onc is rebuilding after heavy losses a few years ago. Outstanding fellowship match, really really impressive. But not enough residents for the caseload, so they are REALLY stressed and often unhappy. But if you want NYC, know you want a fellowship (esp. in MFM), this would be the place.

9) Mt. Sinai:
Very front-loaded, with no night float intern year, very poor OB AND surgical experience 1st year. Why would you do this to yourself? But residents say that PGY2-4 are great, and life is good during chief year.

1. UNC Chapel Hill--(I'm with you, Jules!)
2. Washington University
3. Carolinas Med Center
4. UAB
5. Greenville
6. Wake Forest
7. Duke

1.UTSW - Parkland
2.U of Miami - Jackson Memorial
3.U of Texas Houston - LBJ
4.Beaumont
5.Orlando Regional
6.LSU - New Orleans
7.Wayne State U - Hutzel

My couple's rank list:

1. Emory
2. Baylor in Houston
3. Thomas Jefferson
4. UT Southwestern
5. UConn
6. Stony Brook
7. Orlando
8. Temple
9. Penn Hospital
10. Christiana Care
11. LIJ
12. North Shore
13. Baystate

Here's mine

Orlando
Banner Good Samaritan Phoenix
University of New Mexico
LSU
Baylor Dallas
UTMB Galveston
U of A Tucson
Texas Tech Amarillo
UTMB Austin
Loma Linda
University of Nevada Las Vegas

My wife and I went into this process wanting to stay in the Midwest or South (with the exception of most of Texas) for the most part. Here is what she decided on:
1) IUPUI - Indianapolis
2) Trumann - KC, MO
3) Lexington, KY
4) Cincinnati
5) UTMB - Austin
6) UAMS - Little Rock, AR
7) Oklahoma City
8) Knoxville, TN
9) Kansas City, KS
The only place she interviewed at and didn't rank was Wichita (not because of the program, but because the city was boring to us).

Here's mine:

1. Bethesda North-Cincinnati, OH
2. Good Samaritan-same
3. U. of Louisville, KY
4. University of Kentucky, Lexington
5. U. of Tennessee, Knoxville
6. IUPUI, Indy
7. St. John's Mercy, St. Louis, MO
8. Marshall University, Huntington, WV

Members don't see this ad :)
Could those who interviewed at:
KC Truman
St Johns Mercy St Louis
KU Wichita
Oklahoma City

Tell me what your experience was like. I'm a 3rd year looking to do an externship at any one of them next year.

My top few, my list is a big pain since I'm couples matching and we ranked ALL possibilities:

1. Baylor COM
2. UTSW
3. Emory
4. Oregon
5. UTMB
6. UNM

A lot of us are overlapping with programs, it would be cool to meet some of you next year!

Eeek! I'm getting so nervous about match day, but I hope we all get what we want!

:) kem

kstater said:
Could those who interviewed at:
KC Truman
St Johns Mercy St Louis
KU Wichita
Oklahoma City

Tell me what your experience was like. I'm a 3rd year looking to do an externship at any one of them next year.

If all you are going to be doing is working your rear end off Wichita would be fine, but it is the MOST BORING city that we went to for interviews. My wife and I decided we could never live there for four years at a time so she didn't even rank them. KC Trumann is a nice (and seems to be) competitive program. Fun city as well. OK City = great, friendly residents.

Just Trust That Life Takes You Where You Should Be

1. University of New Mexico
2. Exempla St. Joseph-Denver
3. University of Vermont
4. Phoenix Integrated
5. Dartmouth
6. University of Wisconsin
7. University of Mass
8. Emory
9. University of Missouri at KC
10. Baystate

Looking mostly for outdoor sporting activities and smaller towns. :p

1.UMDNJ
2.Jersey City Medical Center

I applied to about 30 programs and then interviewed at 17....... so here is my final rank list!

1. Brigham- loved Boston, great hospital, large program with diverse residents and opportunities for international work. The residents seemed very happy.

2. Northwestern- a large program with a new hospital in the works.

3. BIDMC- very well supported residents, attendings were approachable and residents seemed very happy.

4. Yale- up and coming program as Dr. Lockwood is the new chairman, great didactics and fellowship match rate.

5. Columbia- very busy service, looks of MFM, great fellowship match rate, new L&D in Babies Hospital.

6. Brown
7. Tufts
8. Penn
9. Emory
10. Duke
11. NYU
12. Mt Sinai

GOOD LUCK to everyone!!

I interviewed at 18 places (couple's matcher), so here are my (our) top 10:

1. UAB - loved it! Tons of pathology and gyn surgery. Great residents.
2. UNC - also loved it. Tons of laparoscopy.
3. Emory - good program. Love their new chair.
4. Univ of Washington - very solid.
5. UT Southwestern - great program, but SO MUCH obstetrics.
6. Colorado - Happy residents.
7. Northwestern - Really liked it, but too cold for this southerner.
8. Brigham - Awesome! But still too cold in Boston for me.
9. UVA - Happy residents. Their case volume is a bit low.
10. Wash U - Great program! Tons of research.

Best of luck to everyone! :luck:

after several waffling episodes...i went with my gut and put:
1) Ohio State
2) UNC
3) UPENN
4) Magee
5) Emory
6) Duke

kem said:
My top few, my list is a big pain since I'm couples matching and we ranked ALL possibilities:

1. Baylor COM
2. UTSW
3. Emory
4. Oregon
5. UTMB
6. UNM

A lot of us are overlapping with programs, it would be cool to meet some of you next year!

Eeek! I'm getting so nervous about match day, but I hope we all get what we want!

I was just wondering if anyone ranked Cali programs... Kem, I noticed that you had a few Cali interviews...

:thumbup: 1)Scott & White Texas- Best family life, Q14 interns, Q28 2nd and 3rd year. New hospital in 1.5 years, well rounded experience.
2)Duke- Awesome opportunity, program changing for the better, but I really don't want to cover 3 hospitals.
3)U of Tenn, Knoxville- Excellent benign GYN, residents are very friendly, wonderfull outdoors. Not so well rounded experience.
4)U of Florida, Gainsville- Great teaching faculty, but I think interns should have done more than 8 c-sections by January.
5)U of North Carolina, Chappel Hill- Just got a bad vibe.
:D

:luck: Best of Luck to All :luck:

Hi!

I interviewed at a few Cali programs, and liked many of them, but I didn't rank them in my top bunch because my parents had been living in Cali and suddenly moved to the south. Sigh.

1) UC Irvine - my favorite of the places I interviewed in Cali. The residents were nice, I felt like I bonded with the attendings. Awesome MFM. The hospital campus is gorgeous, (but the 70 degree weather in January could have helped that). They were up front about their REI department being weak right now, and have plans to make it better, plus have matched people at awesome REI programs the last few years, so it obviously isn't hurting them.

2) UC Davis - Lots of Kaiser experience here, it was nice that on the tour they took us to the Kaiser facility. The residents were cool here as well. I liked it and thought I would get a good education here, but didn't get that warm and fuzzy feeling. I might have just been in a bad mood that day, though.

3) USC - I was excited because they have a Family Planning department (with a really cool person that runs it). They're on probation, and explained to us all the reasons why, which were silly like the call rooms being too far from the showers. The residents I met were nice. The residency seems to be the type where they throw you right in, but everyone assured you there was plenty of help from faculty if you needed it.

4) Cedars Sinai - I thought the hospital was amazing. The residents were super friendly. They started a "teaching service" with all the private attendings so it was clearer which private attendings want to teach students and which don't. I was worried about the fact that it was such an "ultra private" hospital since all the stars deliver there, but I didn't get the impression that that aspect hindered learning.

I hope this helps anyone...
Good luck!

I applied to programs with gyn onc fellowships.

1. Mayo (amazing!!)
2. Wash U (rotated there, don't particularly like it, but convenient for family reasons)
3. Duke
4. Ohio STate
5. Univ Alabama-Birmingham
6. University of Oklahoma
7. UT-Houston (the traditional program)

Didn't rank UT-SW b/c seemed VERY weak in gyn (heard that straight from 2 fourth years, one of whom was interviewing me at the time!!)