Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBThrows

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I doubt this will get much action, since this section is dead other than the Interview Invites thread, but I see other sections doing it and find it interesting to see other thoughts.

So, putting location aside as that is highly personal preference how would you rank the following programs in terms of Academic Prestige/Training/Fellowship Placement(Not just regionally, but ability to acquire a fellowship nationwide)?

Colorado
Michigan
Northwestern
Utah
WashU

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the fellowship you want to pursue but to be honest you would be able to match any type of a fellowship from most of those programs you listed.
I would probably rank as follows: Michigan>Northwestern (slight edge over Wash U/Colorado)>Univ of Utah. But you can't really go wrong with any of them (I'd say Utah is a bit weaker of the bunch though).

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the fellowship you want to pursue but to be honest you would be able to match any type of a fellowship from most of those programs you listed.
I would probably rank as follows: Michigan>Northwestern (slight edge over Wash U/Colorado)>Univ of Utah. But you can't really go wrong with any of them (I'd say Utah is a bit weaker of the bunch though).

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought Michigan to be the best of the group; looking at MFM or REI.

Welp those are the top 5 though that are getting submitted tonight, now we wait.

It's really splitting hairs but they have fellowships in all of the approved subspecialties which gives them an authomatic leg up. Huge research powerhouse which comes in handy for fellows etc (NIH funding) so if you're dead set on an academic career, they will set you up nicely. Again, if you go to UMich, Northwestern, Colorado, or Wash U, you can generally match at any fellowship at any part of the country. Having an in house fellowship just gives you an in, especially for smaller fields like REI or Gyn Onc since there are so few spots. If you are well liked by your faculty you can essentially bypass the match and have a guaranteed fellowship spot waiting for you.