Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XXII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oxeye

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And now for part 22 ......

Members don't see this ad.

Think I've decided to wait a couple weeks to turn in my AMCAS... see, my "advisor" still doesn't want me to apply this year (and I'm still going to), but I'd like to walk in there with a practice test or two under my belt that are much better when I take him my secondary for UMC.. hahaha

Ohhh, MSc in gastrointestinal sciences!! Sexy! That should get me laid a lot!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, wtf IS linear algebra? Is it below Calc I in terms of difficulty? Above it? I always hear about it, but don't know anyone who's taken it.

Above Calc I - I took lower division linear algebra after the whole calc sequence. It had the same prerequisites as differential equations. And then I had to take upper division linear algebra, which was 100% proofs.

Lower division linear algebra was easy, upper division was definitely more challenging. It uses a lot of matrices (if you've never done math with matrices, they are totally freaking cool). It has a lot to do with vectors, and vector spaces and using transformations of those vectors in those spaces. Kind of hard to explain. But it is pretty cool stuff.

Above Calc I - I took lower division linear algebra after the whole calc sequence. It had the same prerequisites as differential equations. And then I had to take upper division linear algebra, which was 100% proofs.

Lower division linear algebra was easy, upper division was definitely more challenging. It uses a lot of matrices (if you've never done math with matrices, they are totally freaking cool). It has a lot to do with vectors, and vector spaces and using transformations and maps of those vectors in those spaces. Kind of hard to explain. But it is pretty cool stuff.

Sounds a little scary. And oxeye, I LOVE your avatar. Precious baby. :love:

Lower division linear algebra was easy, upper division was definitely more challenging. It uses a lot of matrices (if you've never done math with matrices, they are totally freaking cool). It has a lot to do with vectors, and vector spaces and using transformations of those vectors in those spaces. Kind of hard to explain. But it is pretty cool stuff.
WOAH! I'm eating here!:eek:

JK.:laugh:

maybe your kid could be this guy soon

[youtube]N345XPAbokA[/youtube]

That's cool. I just showed it to my husband. ;) Now he's going to show me a video of some eight year old playing the Chopin Ocean Etude. I guess it's a lot harder than the Fantasie Impromptu.

I actually have a feeling my little one is going to be a musical genius. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
That's cool. I just showed it to my husband. ;) Now he's going to show me a video of some eight year old playing the Chopin Ocean Etude. I guess it's a lot harder than the Fantasie Impromptu.

I actually have a feeling my little one is going to be a musical genius. :laugh:
they're both very hard pieces. I didn't stick with the piano long enough to be able to play that well :(

btw, i dont get how 8 year olds could play such pieces. Their hands arent big enough to reach an octave!

Awww.. looks like it. And definitely has the family talent. To answer the 8 year old not reaching an octave: they move their hands INSANELY fast. I should know, i can barely reach one myself... :laugh::laugh:

Well, I stuck with piano a very long time and that 7 year old puts me to shame. :laugh:

Yeah, it was sad... music school was SO hard for me.. which is why I did it. But still, I hope to have one of those beautiful babies in my house someday.. and hopefully enough free time (hahahahahah) to actually play it.

On the AMCAS activity section - stupid question...

Past or present tense? Active or passive voice? Bullets or paragraphs?

I cut and pasted from my resume, so they were short paragraphs.. I took out the bullet points in front b/c I heard it screws with the formatting.

I'd say mine's passive voice (long time since I had to distinguish), and mostly past tense

Well, I stuck with piano a very long time and that 7 year old puts me to shame. :laugh:
The last song I learned on piano was chopin - waltz in c sharp minor in jr high.
It's been a while since.

I cut and pasted from my resume, so they were short paragraphs.. I took out the bullet points in front b/c I heard it screws with the formatting.

I'd say mine's passive voice (long time since I had to distinguish), and mostly past tense

Back in my day we couldn't use paragraphs in the activities section. Damn kids these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.