Ragingly inappropriate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HollyJ

Realtors are evil
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out yesterday that I got into my first choice school. Yippee! One of the deans there has been really supportive to me throughout this whole process. Would it be really, really inappropriate to take him brownies? They're really good brownies.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's an idea- take the brownies to the admissions office with a thank you card. Address the card to "Dr. Dean and Admissions Staff" or something like that. In it, put how greatful you are to Dr. Dean in particular for his help, and also the admissions faculty/staff for their help, and thus would like to thank them all with your brownies for everyone. Mention that you really look forward to being at the school next year, and that you will be sure to offer your help as a student to the admissions office when they need it.

I think if someone went above and beyond your expectations there is nothing wrong with showing your appreciation, espcially in your own unique way. Chances are you were not accepted because you are like everyone else, rather because you are unique. Therefore, showing your appreciation in a unique and appropriate way is fine (in my opinion)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, where can I get that dean's name??? ;) :laugh:

I like DrMom's reply, too. If you know the Dean personally, than the FutureERDoc's idea would be a good one as well. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt either way.

Theresa

I would advise against baking brownies. I agree that a thank you is a better idea.

if they're really good brownies than bake up a bunch and send them to me with a SASE. In return, I will draft you a professional and touching thank you letter. PM me.

Only do brownies if you're a good cook and your brownies are to die for. That would make them ignore the suck-upiness that it seems to exude.

On the other hand, you got in, so it's obvious you're not trying to gain anything out of this.

Well, Holly, it depends. Are we talking regular brownies, or "special" brownies? :D

Since you're already in, I say do whatever you want to. You've already impressed them so you can probably take it to a more informal level.

My 2 cents.

I would bet that a thank you note with the brownies would be a big hit. I mean, who doesn't like brownies? And the dean is sure to remember your name if you send brownies to the whole office, right? Sounds like a plan to me... maybe I need to start sending brownies with my LOR requests :D

i like brownies, especially those of the delicious variety. i'm just saying, is all.

First things first: congratulations!

A thank you note to the dean is always a nice touch, but a little dull.

Brownies, on the other hand, are much more interesting. Baking brownies as a way of expressing your gratitude and your eagerness to be part of the school strikes me as a great idea. If it's a sincere gesture and something you feel like doing, go for it! Now that you're accepted, you're closer to a student than an applicant. I'm certain that your brownies would be very well received.

I'm with FutureER doc, however -- this kind of gift would be better off delivered to the admissions staff as a whole rather than just the one dean. If you want to give him special acknowlegement, either do so when you deliver the brownies, or send him an additional thank you note.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by FutureERDoc
Here's an idea- take the brownies to the admissions office with a thank you card. Address the card to "Dr. Dean and Admissions Staff" or something like that. In it, put how greatful you are to Dr. Dean in particular for his help, and also the admissions faculty/staff for their help, and thus would like to thank them all with your brownies for everyone. Mention that you really look forward to being at the school next year, and that you will be sure to offer your help as a student to the admissions office when they need it.

I think if someone went above and beyond your expectations there is nothing wrong with showing your appreciation, espcially in your own unique way. Chances are you were not accepted because you are like everyone else, rather because you are unique. Therefore, showing your appreciation in a unique and appropriate way is fine (in my opinion)

I second this.

in my opinion, sending brownies would not necessarily be inappropriate, but it would be RAGING

I know of someone that was in a similar situation that sent the dean flowers and chocolates. They went over well, he excelled in his classes and the school has made him into their poster-child. If you want the notoriety, the photo opps, the inns with all sorts of committees, then brownies may be a good start.

i would use future erdoc's idea if you know the dean personally. otherwise, i'd stick with the thank you note.

of course, if the brownies are truly delicious all bets are off...you have to send them! if you'd like, i will sample them free of charge and let you know if they pass muster. ;)

I know that I would like a plate of brownies if I worked in the admissions office. But if you just showed up and I had no idea who you were I would check to see if you were accepted or rejected before I ate the brownies.

This post is making me hungry!

I fourth FutureERDoc's ideas...I think it's a very sweet gesture and can think of no adverse implications

I am just getting a good laugh at all the people talking about baking brownies..... huh huh...

poop...

Originally posted by spumoni620
i would use future erdoc's idea if you know the dean personally. otherwise, i'd stick with the thank you note.

of course, if the brownies are truly delicious all bets are off...you have to send them! if you'd like, i will sample them free of charge and let you know if they pass muster. ;)
I heartily second this. You need to have all Houston-area SDNer's sample the brownies to see just how well they'll go over. And with a large sample you can be reasonably certain (to within a 95% confidence level) that your offering will be well-received by the admissions office.

naughty.gif

put that secret ingredient in the brownies and send them right over. you'll be a hit!

Man, I don't know much about Baylor or their dean, but I do know that reading this thread has made my stomach growl. I almost drooled on myself thinking about my mom's own sinfully good brownies! Excuse me while I go eat myself silly now....

TF

Originally posted by EvoDevo
I heartily second this. You need to have all Houston-area SDNer's sample the brownies to see just how well they'll go over. And with a large sample you can be reasonably certain (to within a 95% confidence level) that your offering will be well-received by the admissions office.

naughty.gif

:laugh: :laugh: excellent idea. :)

All this talk about brownies makes me want to masticate in public. :p

I think brownies for the staff is a totally cool idea. Especially if you are nearby and maybe know the campus well. I'm a big fan of support staff and something like brownies :love: would be really great. Particularly because they're not expected !

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'ok-ness' of it too, because people in offices are always bringing in banana bread or snackies and now it's the holidays so that means even more treats...

I agree, a nice thank you note can do wonders...brownies might be overdoing it:)

Originally posted by indo
I know that I would like a plate of brownies if I worked in the admissions office. But if you just showed up and I had no idea who you were I would check to see if you were accepted or rejected before I ate the brownies.

hahahahahh

Originally posted by indo

Wiser words have never been spoken. :clap: