Financial Aid Application Question: Is it inappropriate to say that getting a scholarship will make you more likely to pursue primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorguy1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the title says, I am an accepted student trying to fill out my scholarship application form. I am truly interested in primary care, most likely something along the lines of family medicine. However, I do understand that people's minds change over the course of medical school, especially when it comes time to actually consider the finances of everything. I was curious as to what the consensus is on saying that getting a scholarship will help me solidify my decision to pursue a family medicine residency as opposed to a more lucrative specialty? If it helps my school has a massive primary care/lifestyle medicine focus.

Members don't see this ad.

I’d phrase it more like this:

“If I am fortunate enough to receive financial support through this scholarship, the burden of future loan payments will be greatly lessened. Therefore allowing me the opportunity to pursue primary care, which has less monetary compensation than other specialties, but because debt would be a non-factor I would be comfortable and confident with my choice and financial future.”

Reactions: 3 users
I realize this is an old thread, but there are also loan repayment options for people going into primary care in an underserved area. This is offered by the federal government through HRSA and many states have programs too. I'm a primary care internist and have already completed Doctors Across NY (DANY) and am in the HRSA program now. The DANY program paid $150,000 for 5 years (tax free), and the HRSA program is $50,000 for 2 years (also tax free).

Also, primary care reimbursement is improving due to more value based care contracts looking to improve long-term outcomes and efficiency which is all centered in primary care. The current US system of reimbursement fee for service will not be sustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.