rads vs ophtho advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

ncmd2005

Anyone have any input on deciding between radiology or ophtho. I am a visually oriented person who likes both fields a lot. I like procedures so IR is def an option and I like the breadth of radiology.. do ppl in ophtho ever feel its too focused? I would appreciate any input on what factors to consider in deciding.

As a side, would being red-green color blind affect your ability to do ophtho/retinal surgery in any way?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

ncmd2005 said:
Anyone have any input on deciding between radiology or ophtho. I am a visually oriented person who likes both fields a lot. I like procedures so IR is def an option and I like the breadth of radiology.. do ppl in ophtho ever feel its too focused? I would appreciate any input on what factors to consider in deciding.

As a side, would being red-green color blind affect your ability to do ophtho/retinal surgery in any way?

Thanks so much!

1) Too focused? Not for me. If it's too focused, then practice general ophthalmology and do everything. If that's too general, then complete a fellowship.

2) I know surgeons who are red-green color blind, and they are competent. You're probably not completely red-green color blind anyways. If you were, then you'd be a blue monochromat and likely have severe visual impairment.