Radiofrequency ablation of sympathetic nerve to Renal Artery to lower BP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else heard of it? The commercial name is the "Symplicity" catheter system. Basically the interventionalists ablates the sympathetic nerves to the renal artery, thus lowering blood pressure. It has just been FDA approved.

It seems to be a real alternative to Renal Artery stenting, which as we know has it's own controversies. Lots of drive-by stents of the renal artery were/are being placed by cardiologists on their way to the heart without clear thought of benefit/risks. Seems like a lot of these stents ended up clotting and having their own issues. So this "Symplicity" ablation of the sympathetic nerve to the renal artery is very promising. I wonder how this will hold up compared to Renal artery angioplasty.

Perhaps the renal artery angioplasty will be used in young patients with renal artery stenosis. But the "symplicity" can be used in older hypertensives.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the authors presented this study at our grand rounds. The mechanism they postulate for it working is quite interesting- the kidneys efferent rather than afferent nerves apparently contribute to vascular tone!

I wonder if this is considered enough data to now do this off-trial?

I believe the FDA will require a US trial before approving this product for use. Should be interesting.

Check out jvir.org
there are some podcasts on it.

SIR annual meeting interviews:

go to the 3rd one and it discusses renal denervation by Dr. Sapoval