Rad Onc compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ask ChatGPT to write up a QI report
You're welcome.

Certainly! Here's a sample Radiation Oncology Quality Improvement (QI) Report:

Radiation Oncology Quality Improvement Report​

[Date]: [Insert Date]​

Executive Summary​

This Radiation Oncology Quality Improvement Report summarizes the key quality improvement initiatives and findings within the radiation oncology department during the reporting period. The objective of this report is to assess and enhance the quality of care provided to our patients and to ensure compliance with established standards and guidelines.

Quality Improvement Initiatives​

1. Patient Safety​

Objective: To ensure patient safety through the identification and mitigation of potential hazards and adverse events.

Findings:

• No major adverse events or near-miss incidents were reported during the reporting period.
  • Regular safety meetings and training sessions were conducted to maintain awareness and adherence to safety protocols.
Actions Taken:

• Ongoing staff training in safety protocols.
  • Regular audits of equipment and procedures.
  • Encouraging a culture of reporting and learning from near-miss incidents.

2. Treatment Plan Quality​

Objective: To maintain the highest standard of treatment plan quality, precision, and accuracy.

Findings:

• An increase in the utilization of advanced treatment planning software, resulting in improved plan quality.
  • Regular peer reviews and case conferences to assess and improve treatment plans.
  • Consistent adherence to national and international guidelines for dose calculation and prescription.
Actions Taken:

• Continued professional development and training for staff to stay up-to-date with the latest treatment planning techniques.
  • Implementation of automated quality checks for treatment plans to reduce human errors.

3. Patient Communication and Education​

Objective: To enhance patient communication and education to ensure informed consent and to address patients' concerns effectively.

Findings:

• Implementation of a patient education program to improve patient understanding of their treatment.
  • Regular patient satisfaction surveys consistently showed high patient satisfaction with the communication and education provided by the department.
Actions Taken:

• Continued education and communication training for staff.
  • Enhancement of patient educational materials.

Key Performance Indicators​

1. Treatment Efficiency​

• Average time from initial consultation to the start of treatment: [Insert Data].
  • Rate of treatment interruptions due to technical issues: [Insert Data].

2. Dosimetry Accuracy​

• Average variation between planned and delivered dose: [Insert Data].
  • Rate of major deviations from the treatment plan: [Insert Data].

3. Patient Satisfaction​

• Overall patient satisfaction score: [Insert Data].
  • Percentage of patients who received thorough treatment explanations: [Insert Data].

Recommendations​

• Continue monitoring and improving patient safety measures.
  • Maintain a strong focus on treatment plan quality and accuracy.
  • Enhance patient communication and education initiatives.
  • Regularly review and update department protocols and procedures.

Conclusion​

This Radiation Oncology Quality Improvement Report highlights the department's commitment to providing high-quality, safe, and patient-centered care. By implementing the above-mentioned initiatives and continuously monitoring key performance indicators, we aim to further improve the quality of radiation oncology services and enhance patient outcomes.

[Signature] [Name] [Title] [Department]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
random salary reduction — happens more often than people realize in RadOnc. The usual
weapon, threating to leave, does not work for RadOncs

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
picture something like this happening to highly sought after specialties like urology, ENT, neurosurgery, med onc etc without them immediately leaving to an equivalent or better job? Yeah, didn’t think so folks! This is the toxicity of our field. People are trapped.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm hospital employed, signed a contract for mid-400's a few years ago. No COLA increases x 5+ years. Now the hospital is unilaterally telling us they are going to withhold 10% of our salary, and only pay it at the end of the year if we do three silly QA/QI projects through the year. None of this has been written out let alone signed on to by us in a new contract. Our paychecks drop 10%, and of course, no interest is paid on the $40k+ they hold in their account.
My question--is that legal? Do I want to engage a lawyer? Of course it's easy to answer "yes talk to a lawyer" but is there a value proposition for me to retain one for $5k+ ?
They're doing it to most specialties, and of course we're all silo'd and don't talk let alone act like the labor we're treated like and unionize...
IMHO, yes.... you should have a lawyer review your situation and contract. You can probably get it done for less than $5K... this is a straightforward contract question. I've done it before and it saved me from ending up in a court battle (much more expensive...). It cost me around $3K... but I also hired one of the best firms in town.

They don't do this because its legal. They do it because doctors let them get away with it. The lawyer will probably pay for themselves because they are just going to find something else to take from you. And if they are doing this to everyone.... then everyone can chip in to split the cost.

The best time to get a lawyer is before you need one.

Reactions: 1 user
IMHO, yes.... you should have a lawyer review your situation and contract. You can probably get it done for less than $5K... this is a straightforward contract question. I've done it before and it saved me from ending up in a court battle (much more expensive...). It cost me around $3K... but I also hired one of the best firms in town.

They don't do this because its legal. They do it because doctors let them get away with it. The lawyer will probably pay for themselves because they are just going to find something else to take from you. And if they are doing this to everyone.... then everyone can chip in to split the cost.

The best time to get a lawyer is before you need one.
I am assuming the OP wants to stay with the hospital, because unlike every other specialty, she can’t pick up and move to a neighboring hospital. In that case, hiring a lawyer, may not be in her interest. The hospital may not value her when push comes to shove because she is easily replaceable in this job market.

Reactions: 2 users
I am assuming the OP wants to stay with the hospital, because unlike every other specialty, she can’t pick up and move to a neighboring hospital. In that case, hiring a lawyer, may not be in her interest. The hospital may not value her when push comes to shove because she is easily replaceable in this job market.
The malignancy of our job market which has “never been better”

The malignancy of our job market which has “never been better”
OP sounds like someone who was aoa, top boards, thrived in a top 10 program, and then some. None of that really matters after the astro led expansion and deliberate devaluation of their membership. Astro (and it’s toadies) care abt 2% cms cuts which have no bearing on the plight of the OP.

Reactions: 2 users
The real question is what is the contract term? Most hospital employed docs I've seen are employed at will and can be let go without cause with X (3 months, 1 month, etc) notice.

So even if this withholding violates your contract, it doesn't matter. Since you now have the choice of accepting this new contract or being let go.

1699737921904.gif

• Love
It is very important when entering into an employment agreement that you prepare for the worst possible outcome and that the contract is fair to you in this circumstance. You may not be able to negotiate on things like pay, but you can usually ensure that you are protected should you be fired without cause. The contract has been written with only your employers interests in mind.

• Love
The real question is what is the contract term? Most hospital employed docs I've seen are employed at will and can be let go without cause with X (3 months, 1 month, etc) notice.

So even if this withholding violates your contract, it doesn't matter. Since you now have the choice of accepting this new contract or being let go.

View attachment 378880
True but if there is reciprocity and you negotiate 6 months notice, then the employee may need to give 6 months notice as well.

Truth of the matter is as a rad onc you have almost no leverage in these types of situations unless you are in an undesirable/hard to recruit to location, especially if this is a hospital wide policy. Retaining a lawyer probably just a waste of time/money in the long run. Deal sucks but I think the only move you can make is leaving.

Reactions: 7 users
very proper comments here. I would add that if multiple, similarly, paid physicians are involved, one can try to speak in a single voice.
Admins will try to prevent that and break up the group.

may need to give 6 months notice as well.
They can always find someone else or hire locums. They can't sue you if they have a replacement no matter how distasteful. The only thing that matters is protecting yourself and ensuring you have at least a 3 month cushion. Better yet, aim for 6 months.